Here with two diabetics

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph28, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph28

Steph28 New Member

Hello everyone!

I am a dog groomer from Maryland who has had some unfortunate luck with my pets health in the last year.

I joined because December 4th I found out that my 9 year old tuxedo Frank is diabetic. And then January 4th my 5 year old tabby and white Elvis was also diagnosed with diabetes. We also have a 15 year old black cat named Banshee, who's only real issue so far is a suspected chicken allergy. This has been incredibly jarring and overwhelming. I am scrambling to put order and routine back in my life and theirs and feel like everything has been turned upside down for us.
    I have a decent amount of experience with animals. Elvis is my bottle-fed kitty, I have had him since he was a day old after someone found him and brought him to the grooming salon I worked at. He is not overweight and the vet seemed shocked too.
    Frank was found with his litter by my aunt who rescues cats. He is prone to weight problems and has been in lipidosis twice which I pulled him out of both times by force feeding method and the help of some meds.
    This has been the hardest situation to accept though, and I am struggling but I will do anything to get them back on track.
    I am glad I found this forum, I am sure I will need advice along the way and maybe eventually help others as well. I have a learning curve here but hopefully we will get there.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Steph, welcome to you, Frank and Elvis! Wow, two diabetic kitties! As you say there is a learning curve, but we will help you get there. Come to the Main Health forum and tell us more about your boys and ask any questions you have.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Poor you with two diabetic kitties. There's a lot of help and support for you here. :)

5. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

Welcome to you Frank and Elvis! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

With all the worries and troubles, there is a special bond between diabetic cats and their parents. The cats learn that everything mom and dad do helps them to feel better. The become more living and will let you know when it's time for their blood test. With two, you just buy extra low carb food and treats. It helps if both cats use the same insulin. For now, just read as much as you can and enjoy your Twice as sweet kittie

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Steph and welcome to FDMB. Taking care of two diabetic cats is no more difficult than taking care of one. I've been there, so I can understand the feelings you may be having. There are also ways to keep your costs reasonable for caring for them.

You will need to change their diet to low carb canned or raw food. Pate flavors are lower in carbs. Anything with gravy is much higher. Almost all dry food is high carbs including the prescription food your vet may try to sell you.

Are your cats on insulin yet? If so, what kind and what dose? With insulin you want to start at a low dose, preferably 1 unit, and if needed increase it slowly over several weeks to find the optimal dose. Good insulins that work with cats are Lantus, Levemir, Prozinc and BCP PZI.

We always recommend hometesting. You will check the glucose before every shot to make sure if it is safe to give insulin. This will also help you determine if the dose needs to be adjusted. It also saves a lot of money and time by eliminating the trips to the vet just for testing.

We can help you learn all of this. If you have any questions ask them on the Health board, it is the one most monitored.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

It just means she has two extra sweet babies to love. :D

9. Steph28

Steph28 New Member

Hi and thank you! I mostly feel bad for them but this is a lot for me too. I posted additional info about their current status and questions on the main forum.

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.