Hermione's Dosing Rollercoaster pt 9

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by ShipsCat, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

New Year, new thread!

Sorry I'm slacking on posting again. After I slept off the excesses of New Years Eve I went back to my best friend's house to help him clean up after the party - only coming back home to test Hermione & give her insulin. So here's the accumulated data to start 2017.

1/1 - 435 for AMPS, 1.4u given
    304 @ +10
    320 for PMPS, 1.2u given
    144 @ +7!
    1/2 - 582 for AMPS, 1.4u given

Bouncy bouncy, but I stuck with 1.4u. I'm not feeling adventurous this morning...

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Her bouncing is becoming legendary. Hope she settles in again, Kimi.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hermione, no one bought you a trampoline for Christmas!

4. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Yes, she sure is quick to hop onto her trampoline! I sometimes wonder if my cautiousness with dosing is part of the problem. But I'm back to work as of this week and won't be able to monitor her as closely - even if I wasn't always testing more while I was home this month I've been able to keep an eye on my little girl. I wanted to try to dose more aggressively while I was home, but then I chickened out :(

PMPS 502, 1.5u given
    406 @ +5
    AMPS 297, 328 after 30min stall - 1.2u given

I know I didn't need to stall with that AMPS, but after poor Denise lost Clara on Saturday I've gotten paranoid. I sleep so deeply I'm terrified Hermione will go hypo and I'll sleep through it!

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Think of the stall as making sure she was going up not down. 20 minutes doesn't hurt anything and it will help keep yoiyoiu from worrying as much today!

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

We always have to do what we're comfortable with, Kimi. These rubber kitties of ours don't make it easy though. :confused:

7. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Yes, I was stalling to make sure she was rising, I forgot to add that in my post. Our rubber kitties sure do make things tough for us beans!

344 for PMPS, 1.3u given

I went with a little increase since I'm home sick & can watch her.

8. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

434 @ +8 :arghh:

At least she was negative for ketones a little before I checked her blood sugar. She was hanging out on the sofa so I didn't think she was so high :(

9. Kris & Teasel

Have you ever tried "fat" and "skinny" doses by measuring a dose and letting out a tiny drop? Hermione is so volatile (as is Teasel) that this might be another way to expand your dosing repertoire. She'll come back, Kimi ... :)

10. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Sorry, I was really feeling crummy yesterday so I didn't turn on the computer. I made sure to give Hermione her insulin though :p I've tried fat & skinny doses when I was using u40 syringes, but the u100s are so small a drop seems like 1/4 measure anyway. I know I'll get her back, it's just frustrating for me when she's in really nice numbers then really awful ones...

1/4 AMPS 285, 319 after 30min stall 1.3u given
    562 for PMPS, 1.6u given
    315 @ +7
    1/5 AMPS 293, 240 after 20min stall, 242 after 40min stall 1.1u given

The way she sometimes goes down after 12hrs makes me think I should have been stalling a little at yellow when she's had a good-sized drop from the previous pre-shot. Again, I'm feeling extra paranoid right now ;)

11. Kris & Teasel

I mentioned the fats and skinnies because I swear they can make a difference for Teasel, although I don't use them often. I know that 0.1 u certainly does. These bouncy ultra sensitive kitties are special cases. o_O

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

MHO, you are underdosing in the am. Stalling in the 220+ range is being a little too cautious. Even if she drops (unlikely) it shouldn't be enough to influence your dose choice. The only time you need to stall is if she is too low to shoot. Then you want to be sure the number is rising, not falling and high enough to give a dose. The 1.6 on the black gave you a nice yellow amps. I'd give a little more for those yellows, especially the higher ones.

Having said that, I know she is unpredictable and you are rightfully cautious about increasing when you are not going to be there. But - if I were you AND I am not- I'd pick a cycle when you can catch the nadir and increase a bit on the 200s.

13. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Sorry, I've been super sick. Hermione's still gotten her insulin on time, but I've been feeling too awful to turn on the computer. I'm definitely being too paranoid, and I'm sure that's contributing to her continued backslide on her numbers. I need to shake it off and get back to dosing with confidence. Thanks, Sue, for the reminder that being too cautious with my bouncy little girl isn't helping her! And I shouldn't have dismissed your suggestion of the fats & skinnies, Kris. It's mostly that I have a hard enough time squinting out the 1/4 doses on the u100 syringes :p I apologize for seeming like I don't appreciate your advice, I most definitely DO appreciate every bit of advice everyone gives me!

Here are her numbers for the past day and a half.

1/5 PMPS 355, 1.4u given
    1/6 AMPS 455, 1.5u given
    PMPS 490, 1.6u given
    385 @ +9
    1/7 AMPS 529, 1.6u given - 1hr early

At least I'm starting to feel human again, and Hermione tested negative for ketones the last two days. I should be able to get more tests in today than just AMPS & PMPS, assuming I don't have a relapse! The flu really knocked me out....

I'm also wondering if this vial of insulin is losing potency. I just realized it's coming up on 3 months old :( I'll try to stop by my vet tomorrow and get a new vial - she's only open for a few hours. Otherwise I'll get one Monday.

14. Kris & Teasel

Hi Kimi,

I hope you're on the mend. Being sick and still having to tend to "special needs" kitties (I'm including Nutter in there!) is challenging.

I didn't for a moment think you were dismissing the fat/skinny suggestion. I know how hard those micro fractions are to measure out. I just estimate the best I can - I look for a little air between the plunger and a syringe mark for 0.25 u and try to get the plunger barely up to or barely over a mark for a fat/skinny. We can only do what we can do.

Re dosing confidence: I'm trying to be a bit more confident dosing a little higher when Teasel gives me a good number. I waver sometimes and feel bolder at other times. We have good reason to be this way with such unpredictable kitties.

15. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

I'm glad I didn't come off like I was discounting your advice, Kris! It's hard enough communicating only through words on a screen, but when I'm sick I tend to get snippy in person so I feared I had done that here too. I'm feeling much better, thank you! Hermione has been feeling just fine while I'm feeling crummy, and Nutter is still chugging along in his cocked-head drunk-walking way.

More tests in today, since I'm no longer one of the walking dead ;)

466 @ +5
    475 @ +8
    451 @ +10
    471 for PMPS, 1.4u given, shot given at +11

I gave a bit of a reduction because I got a brand new vial. I'm wondering if the AM shot was a partial fur shot (even though I didn't see any wetness or smell insulin) or the old vial is just that weak now.

16. Kris & Teasel

I've never gone longer than about 2 months with a vial of ProZinc because Teasel's doses are larger than Hermione's and I also save the last bit of a vial as backup in case I drop/break the new one. I approach a new vial with caution as well.

17. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I hope you will start seeing some lower numbers, Kimi. If not, and after giving the new vial time to effect any possible changes, I'd start increasing per the protocol.

Sorry you have been sick!

18. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Thanks Sue! I'm feeling almost normal today :) Hermione has been getting such small doses I didn't realize how old this vial is - I've still got almost 1/4 left. But whether I was too sick to tell if I've given a fur shot or the insulin is too old, her numbers on the new vial are better so far (knock wood!).

400 @ +4
    254 @ +7!

Fingers crossed she stays out of red/black tonight!

19. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

164 @ +11!

Note to self - keep better track of how old the insulin is :banghead:

20. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

147 for PMPS!

Stalling. I'm supposed to go to lunch with family tomorrow so I'd rather not feed and wait 2hrs. Although Hermione will do what she'll do.... ;)

21. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

144 after 30min stall. I went ahead and gave her 1/2 her meal and will retest in 2hrs.

22. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

163 2hrs post meal!

I gave her a .2u cs dose. What a change a new vial brings! Especially when the old one was obviously weak....

23. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Aha! Nice to see lower numbers.

24. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

PMPS 559, 1.4u given

Likely a combination of a bounce from the lovely blues and my cs dose being too cs ;) I actually got my family to only eat lunch so I was back for +11, which is when I gave her shot. I meant to do a mid cycle when I got up, but I was running late so it got skipped.

I am really glad it was mainly old insulin causing her high numbers. I put the date I opened this vial on the top of the box instead of the side so I have to see it every time I give a shot!

25. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Hermione an I were watching football so I missed a nadir shot because I wasn't paying attention to time :banghead:

449 @ +10
    434 for AMPS, 1.4u given - shot given at +11

26. Kris & Teasel

They say challenges build character ... ;):)

27. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

You, me and all the beans of extra-bouncy kitties are certainly chock full of character, aren't we! :p

My internet was out yesterday and finally got repaired while I was at work today. Stupid rural internet, always breaking.

1/9 PMPS 495, 1.5u given
    325 @ +8
    1/10 AMPS 504, 1.6u given
    411 @ +6
    PMPS 368, 1.4u given
    134 @ +7!

I'm going to chalk the past few days' high numbers to a prolonged bounce. I'm sure the weaker insulin combined with my paranoid extra-concervative dosing affected her sensitivity. I think I've managed to shake that freaked out feeling.

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  28. Kris & Teasel

Ah yes, the periodic freak outs ... I have those occasionally when I see some nice numbers or if I have a fur shot and lose confidence in shooting. You're right, though, they do subside.

ShipsCat likes this.
  29. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

514 for AMPS, 1.6u given
    232 @ +4
    473 for PMPS, 1.6u given

I'll be home tonight to watch her, so I decided to stick with 1.6.

30. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

147 @ +7 :)

MiCo likes this.
  31. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

115 for AMPS!

Hermione sure likes to keep me guessing! I went ahead and fed her 1/2 her meal and will retest in 2hrs.

Kris & Teasel and MiCo like this.
  32. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

188 2hrs post meal!

Looking back from before I had an attack of lack of confidence, I went with .8u. Extra alarms set for nadir, fingers crossed I don't sleep through them!

33. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Well, predictably enough I slept through my alarm :banghead:

PMPS 334, 1.4u given
    287 @ +7

I'm not sure if the PM shot didn't all go in? Seems a very small drop for just past nadir.

34. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

314 for AMPS, 1.4u given

If she's still in pink for PMPS I'll give her a tiny increase.

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  35. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sounds good!

Julie and Eleanor (GA) and MiCo like this.
  36. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

223 for PMPS! I waited 20min and retested just to see which way she was headed - steady at 219! I went with 1u :) I'll be home to watch her.

37. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Nice!!!

38. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

182 @ +3
    178 @ +6

I went out with friends once I was sure she was going to be in a safe range. Sometimes going out for beers with human friends is more interesting than watching TV at home with my four-legged friends ;)

415 for AMPS, 1.5u given

Bouncy bouncy. If I'd been home a little earlier I would have tested at +11 and likely given her shot then. But not an unexpected bounce for those nice blues!

Kris & Teasel, StephG and MiCo like this.
  39. Kris & Teasel

Yes, we need a reminder sometimes that there's life beyond FD! :)

40. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad you went out! It's nice to get away sometimes.

41. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

I'm a bit of a homebody anyway, but it still felt really nice to go out with my friends!

189 @ +5 - I gave her 3 Temptations treats to keep her from getting too low while I went back to sleep
    81 for PMPS!! I had no idea, she was snuggled up to me and acting completely normal when I woke up. She didn't even eat more than her normal few bites of kibble from her dish. I'm thinking this is another one of her late-cycle visits from Mr P & I gave her 1/2 of her dinner and retested in a few hours
    159 2 1/2hrs post meal!
    191 after 40 more minutes, 1u given :)

42. Sue and Oliver (GA)

One things settle in, maybe we can figure out how best to deal with her bounces and drops. We had a pretty good plan before things went south, right?

43. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! That's unexpected. It does sound kind of like Mr. P to me.

44. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

We did have what I thought was a good handle on things before my attack of paranoia and the old vial of insulin. Now its wacky-time in Hermione land!

317 @ +4 last night
    349 for AMPS, 1.4u given
    65 @ +7!!!

I gave her a little of her Primal freeze dried food, and I'm going to recheck her in a few minutes. She was in her chair looking lazy, not distressed and not eating from her bowl of YA.

45. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

91 after 15 minutes.

If she was being a normal cat I wouldn't have given her any food at +7 and just retested in 15min. But with yesterday's unexpected green PMPS and the fact that she seems to be feeling a bit punky I didn't want her to get into real hypo territory. My vet is closed today and the nearest ER vet is 40 minutes away.

46. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

109 @ +7h 45 min.

She's also feeling more like herself, following me around and answering me when I talk to her. If Hermione doesn't talk back to me she's not feeling herself - that's how she got her name. She's got wacky hair and she has an answer for everything ;)

47. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

163 @ +11!

48. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Lovely to see the blues and greens. Time to reduce the dose a smidge?

49. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

I think so, she's definitely being more sensitive right now!

248 for PMPS, 238 after 20min stall. 1u given. PMPS at +13

I stalled to see which way she's headed, it's within strip variance so I'll consider her holding steady. I was going to give a tiny increase for yellow to see if we could even out AM & PM but now I think it may be bouncing from the greens?

50. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It'll be interesting to see how one unit does.. The 1.4 looks good for mid pink, but glad you were home. A lovely nadir but wouldn't have wanted more of a slide.

51. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Honestly if it had been a weekday with my vet open I would have waited 15 min to see where she was going with that light green. I'm pretty confident I could steer with high-carb gravy food (and Karo if needed), but since her only symptom was being more subdued than normal and the closest ER vet is so far away I didn't want to chance it.

52. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

232 @+5
    386 for AMPS, 1.3u given at +11

Giving 11/13 dosing a try again. It worked well for a while before my little freak out, and she's been a lot higher in the AM for the past few days. Also gave a little reduction just to see where she goes with it.

53. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Experimenting is always valuable.

54. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

166 @ +6
    115 for PMPS at +13!

I fed her half her meal and will recheck in 2hrs.

55. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

222 2hrs post meal, 1u given

Hermione doesn't think I need to sleep ;) But I don't mind if she's going to keep giving me nice numbers.

56. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

487 for AMPS, 1.5u given.
    274 @ +4
    142 @ +7
    135 for PMPS, fed 1/2meal retest in 2hrs

I overslept for AMPS, it was at 12hrs instead of +11. PMPS was at +12, I did the feed & stall to bring her back closer to my preferred dosing times.

57. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

182 2hrs post meal! 1.1u given.

I went with a little increase to try to even out AM & PM. I'll be awake for nadir, it's when I would normally go to bed ;)

58. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

171 @+5

59. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Well, that did not go as expected :(

512 for AMPS (+11), 1.5u given
    329 @ +6

Data gathering, data gathering......

Any suggestions to help even out her AM & PM PS numbers? I'm loving all the blues but the high AMPS numbers even at +11 are disappointing.

60. Kris & Teasel

For a bouncy cat she's doing well right now. Just keep on keeping on I think. :):confused:

ShipsCat and Rachel like this.
  61. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

314 for PMPS, 1.2u given

I guess I should be more specific when I wish her AM & PM numbers would be closer :banghead:

It's all data!

Pati and Kris & Teasel like this.
  62. Kris & Teasel

It's crazy-making but imagine what it would be like if you only did a curve every few weeks when you have kitties like ours?! :eek::confused:

63. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Have you gone back to 11/13 in hopes of evening out the preshots?

64. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Sorry for the pause in data reporting. I've been helping a friend who's trying to get out of an abusive relationship, and while Hermione is getting her shots & testing I've been preoccupied and not on my computer :(

Yes, I was doing 11/13 dosing to try to get her preshots evened out, but this situation with my friend has messed all my schedules up. Once she's got him out of her house (and out of the state!) I'll be able to focus back on Hermione.

That being said, here's a bunch of data!
    1/18 199 @ +7
    1/19 375 for AMPS, 1.3u given - overslept so AMPS @ +15
    348 @ +6
    205 for PMPS, 1u given @ +12
    275 @ +6
    1/20 504 for AMPS, 1.5u given @ +12

65. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You're fine Kimi! Hope your friend gets to a safe place soon. You're doing what's needed for Hermione while helping your friend, which is important. :bighug:

66. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

We've finally gotten him to agree to leave, now we just have to keep her strong and supported so she doesn't change her mind and have him stay. That's the worst part of this (and I guess it's pretty common with abusive relationships), she still loves him no matter how awful he is to her :(

I think my stress is affecting Hermione too... Number dump incoming!

1/21 AMPS 425, 1.4u given - no I didn't skip a dose, all the stalling pushed her PM dose into the morning. For recordkeeping I've moved the 2nd shot of 1/20 to agree with my actual shot times
    207 @ +5
    513 for PMPS, 1.5u given
    346 @ +6
    1/22 375 AMPS, 1.4u given
    475 PMPS skinny 1.5u given - just below line, I let out a little too much while letting the bubble out of her dose and didn't want to redraw
    236 @ +7
    1/23 479 AMPS, 1.6u given
    177 @ +5
    483 PMPS, 1.6u given
    346 @ +6
    1/24 144 AMPS (at +13, lost track of time) 147 2hr stall, .4u given :)
    231 PMPS (at +11) 1u given

67. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Have a glass of wine or some chocolate. You deserve a treat and a little relaxation. Bless you for being there for your friend! She's lucky to have you there with her.

68. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Thanks! I'm not alone in helping her, fortunately, there are six of us who have been trying for months to help her see how destructive he is to her self-esteem and well-being. But they don't say "love is blind" for no reason :( Tonight I was going to have a nice evening at home with Hermione and my other critters but my friend called in tears so it was off to dinner to keep her mind off him. I'm glad I have so much vacation time at work....

AMPS 416, 1.5u given at +11

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  69. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

174 @ +5
    154 for PMPS @ +13! fat .4u given - just above the line

Pati, Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  70. Kris & Teasel

Woot! Woot! :woot:

71. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

207 @ +9
    281 for AMPS, 1.2u given!

I meant to give her shot at +11 but Hermione and I were catching up on Sherlock. I planned to pause the DVR but.... :nailbiting:

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  72. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Sorry for my absence. I'll explain in the new thread. I'm not going to put Hermione's data from the past week here, it's not been a good week and it's on my ss anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.