He's going to die,

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Queed, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queed

Queed Member

Please , please help me. My cat has had BG over 600 for 2 months, he's getting weak. We started with vetsilin and then the human N something. We started at .50 units for 2 weeks then 1 unit for 2 more weeks on vetsilin. Then changed to the N one. After 4 weeks and up to 2 units, they switched him to Prozinc. We continued this at 2.5 units. It's been almost 2 months and a gradual increase to 3.5, now he says go to 4 units. My cat is going to die, I missed, fur shot a dose 2 weeks ago and didn't give it again, the next morning I tested and he was 550. I was so excited I didn't give his morning dose. It was still a number at 560 when I got home. I use a human meter it seems more accurate than the purple animal one I bought, but doesn't read over 600. My vet doesn't understand why it would go lower but insists he needs insulin. I gave him his 3.5 reluctantly with food and three hours later back over 600 although is was back to five the next morning. I had to board him this past weekend and he was over 600 with the vet curve. His Cushing test was negative, no key tones in his urine. He is 17 and this was they think brought on by a streroid injection for his itching. He's had ear infections on and off the last few years but we just went 2 weeks on steroid free ear meds and antibiotics. His kidneys are old, but not bad enough to be causing insulin resistance. I'm giving 100ml sub Q fluids every other day to keep him feeling good. I found this sight last night at 1am. I can't sleep well, my cat is going to die if something doesn't happen fast. I read here somewhere that if we started to high a dose the BG will never go down. We started at 2 with prozinc because that's what we had worked up to with the other 2 insulins not make any difference at all. He's eating the Royal Canin and another vet glucose wet food . I give him a whole little can twice a day with his shot or half of the big can. Being desperate last night I gave him 4.5 units. This morning it was 537 , I only gave him 1 unit this morning after reading something about maybe we missed his happy place with this type insulin , tonight at 5pm it is 540. I gave him 1 untit again instead of the 4 units we have worked up to . Please I don't know which way to go, I'm broke on all this food and tests , full geriatric profile blood work and on that his BG was 961 and this insulin is not cheap, and it's not made any difference. I thought he couldn't see the morning after boarding at the clinic for the weekend, but his site is okay now. All I know is he was over 600 at that time as well. He's getting weak, can anyone help us , please tell me what to do to get this down.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Take a deep breath, you’ve come to the right place. I’m glad you’re home testing. Please set up our spreadsheet, it will help us see what’s going on. Here are the instructions, but if you need help, let us know and we’ll do it for you
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    How long ago was the steroid shot? Many of the vet recommended diabetic foods are actually high in carbs. You can save some money by feeding a low carb over the counter food. Since there is some kidney problems you need one low carb and low phosphorus. We can help you find one he’ll like.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

He needs what he needs. I would continue with the 4 units. Don't reduce... It seems he needs it and that there's some glucose toxicity going on. He may need to be increased for a while until you find his breakthrough dose.

As far as getting weak, so you mean muscle wasting? If so are you giving b12 for the neuropathy? How much does your cat weigh? It doesn't sound like he's getting enough food.

I'll tag some ProZinc dosing regulars

@Rachel @Kris & Teasel

jayla-n-Drevon and Sharon14 like this.
  4. JanetNJ

Which food specifically is it?

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's going to be okay! You're in exactly the right place and I'm sure we can help you. Setting up the spreadsheet that Sharon mentioned will really help us to help you. Most likely he just needs more insulin and that is OKAY. As Janet says, cats need what they need. It's the same with humans, so it's not a bad thing. So you worked your way up to 4 units gradually? I'd stick with that for now too. I would really suggest getting some mid cycle tests...can you do that tomorrow or do you need to wait for the weekend? Anything you can get is helpful, but if you can grab something anywhere between 5 and 7 hours after a shot, that will help tell us how low he is going. That's is really important data because it shows us if he's getting good numbers at the lowest point of the insulin or not.

We'd definitely love to help you out! We've seen plenty of cats in high numbers before and we've helped get them down. We're here to help!

JanetNJ and Sharon14 like this.
  6. Queed

Queed Member

I'll have to find out how long ago the steroid injection was , I'm going to guesss about 4 months ago. Then his weight started dropping fast, I thought he was in kidney failure, I couldn't get him hydrated for anything so I took him in to to vet. They did the bloodwork and kidney were a little elevated but nothing to be concerned about , but he said he was diabetic. He's an outside cat, never been overweight so they blame the steroid. His current food is prescription diet Hills MD / Glucose/ weight management. I only gave him 1 unit tonight to see what he looks like in the morning, do you also suggest going back to 4 units in the morning?

7. Queed

Queed Member

Hills prescription glucose/weight management. He's never been over weight, he's an outside cat . In a fenced yard with his own 8x10 insulated and heated and furnished cat house , because we used to live far from a Highway and now we are close to a road and have coyotes come around a lot, he's skin and bones now, from 8 or 9 pounds to 6.

8. Queed

Queed Member

Yes we've worked up gradually, but it's been with 3 different insulins now. I thought maybe if we had started the prozinc at 1 unit it might have worked. I read somewhere if you gave to much it would never come down. Before reading that someplace I had given him 4.5 and then I got the 500's this am , then I only gave him 1. After work it was still 500's so I only gave him 1 again to see if it goes lower. But if you all think 4 is okay, I'll do it. I asked the vet since it's so high why don't we just give 4.5, that a 1 unit jump, but he said not to jump the gun, all I can think about is alll the damage that is being done to other organs while we are playing around with half units all this time for levels over 750 .

9. Sharon14

While he’s unregulated he’ll need more food because they can’t process their food properly, so you need to feed them more. As I said, the prescription foods are a bit higher in carbs than we like. They are also very expensive, so switching to a more affordable option will help you both. As high as his numbers are 4u is probably ok. Are you testing before food and shot as well as mid cycle?

10. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

Take a big breath there are lots of very experienced people here that can help you and this is a very slow process it can take a long time to get a cat regulated so you will need to have a lot of patience

Like people diabetic cats need to watch what they eat so you need to start switching him to a diabetic friendly diet, with a little bit of luck you can do it fast but if not a gradual change will be ok, here's a list we use that can help you find some food that he likes and that is ok with you too (this is the link http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf) and low in phosphorus to help his kidneys, you have pick one that is under 10% carbohidrates (carbs) and under 200 in phosphorus

Since you mentioned he has some kidney issues, It would also help if you could post some of his lab results so that people here can get a better idea of what's going on

Lane likes this.
  11. Queed

Queed Member

Before this all started he was an 8 lb cat , now he's a bone with skin pulled over he was 6 lbs, maybe 5 now, I didn't ask the vet , he's never said anything about any B12, he will definitely eat, but I thought he's only supposed to get food at shot time. I had dry Royal canine glucose balance down the whole time and a few weeks ago I read that dry was bad . So he's not free feeding anymore.

12. Queed

Queed Member

Yes , testing before food, if I check him right now it's been 3 1/2 hours since meal and shot. I ordered 30 cans of fancy feast classic from chewy last night, turkey and chicken pate, can he it that?

JanetNJ likes this.
  13. Queed

Queed Member

Thank you, what food do you recommend, I have heard fancy feast classic is a good one

14. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

First, SLOW DEEP BREATHS - SLOOOOOW.....sing 2 rounds of Row Row Row your boat <---and I'm SERIOUS! Just do it!!! It will help you calm down for a minute.

Is this right:
    He's on Prozinc
    You're feeding both Glycobalance wet and dry
    You have used both Vetsulin and N
    You are testing before each shot

How often in between are you testing and are you testing sometimes overnight too?

15. Queed

Queed Member

Hills glucose and weight management, he definitely NEEDS some weight though.

16. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Yes Fancy Feast Pates are good BUT when you change from the Royal Canin, you MUST test lots because the difference in the carb counts is huge.

That food isn't going to do anything any better than Fancy Feast. It's for LOSING weight, not gaining it.

17. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Did you sing? Seriously - now the ABC song - sing it! Regardless of how stupid you feel doing it - DO IT! You have to calm down a bit! We all get it - we've been scared and confused about OUR babies.

Sharon14 likes this.
  18. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Singing has a purpose - it releases natural chemicals to help your whole body relax. It's not just a dumb exercise...it's really not.

Beth 73 and Queed like this.
  19. Sharon14

The Fancy Feast is fine for now, Since you say his kidneys are ok, but you may want to find a food lower in phosphorus in the future. Also you can feed him several times a day, not just at shot time. I fed my cat 4-6 times a day.

20. Queed

Queed Member

Yes that's correct, but I read the dry was bad , I had that out for him all day, now he only gets some canned with his shot. I don't test him every single time, I attempted a cure test weekend before last and got trapped in the cat house by a huge wolf spider that stopped right in the freaking doorway way, allowing my cat to run across the yard and into the shed to eat some forbidden dry cat food, so I didn't finish the test. The curve the vet did last Friday was never under 600

21. Queed

Queed Member

22. Queed

Queed Member

Okay , I'm going to check his GC now and feed him , I'm sure he would thank you for that. What food do I need to buy ? I will buy it.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  23. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Just pick up the food 2 hours before you test and shoot so you will get a true number rather than a food influenced number.

Sharon14 likes this.
  24. Sharon14

The Fancy Feast is fine. Let’s get the spreadsheet set up, and some Preshot and midcycle tests and see where he is. What is your cats name and what can we call you?

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  25. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Fancy Feast is just fine for now, but you did mentioned some kidney issues so if you have any blood test results from the vet that can help us see how his kidneys are it would be very good that way later on we can help you find some diabetic and kidney friendly diet

Let's go with all this one step at a time get the test results you already have into the spreadsheet, you will be amazed how much it helps to know what's going on looking at all of them in an ordered and friendly way as the spreadsheet shows them and get some extra tests

And one more thing cats are more resilient than what most people give them credit, so hang in there slowly everything will get under control

26. Queed

Queed Member

OKAY ! Wednesday night I gave 4.5 units, this morning it was 537. I gave one unit this morning and after work, 12 hours later it was 540, now I just checked 3.5 hours after 1 unit and it's 438 ! It's getting lower on 1 unit it looks like. How is that possible? And he was extremely happy to get more food ! He says thank you

JanetNJ likes this.
  27. Queed

Queed Member

His rescue name was Quito , I call him Queed. I am Annette.

Beth 73 and Sharon14 like this.
  28. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Could you go ahead and remove the 911? We use that for medical emergencies like hypoglycemic crisis.

It makes our hearts skip a few beats anytime we see it.

I want you to look in my signature under "China White's Profile".....You will see two very different pictures of the same cat. (you have to click on the 2nd picture to see the whole thing)

That's how far back these kitties can come with the right diet, the right insulin and the help of the great people here!!

Lane and H.M. Victor (GA) like this.
  29. Squeaky and KT (GA)

My thoughts - I suspect your cat may be transient diabetic from the steroid shot and doesn't need any insulin. From everything you've said, it all fits with a badly overdosed cat. When you give less insulin, his pancreas is working but the liver keeps dumping extra sugars trying to deal with extra insulin.

Can you test for ketones? It's a little plastic 'stick' with a pad on the end that you run thru his urine. I don't now if you've been told about doing that.

ETA: I going to throw this out for discussion. Labs are good altho' kidneys are a bit compromised but he's an elderly cat so that's to be expected.

My advice is to change to Fancy Feast pates or Friskies pates and completely skip the insulin shots for 2 days. Test each morning, mid-day and at night minimum. Also test for ketones daily. What I believe you'll see is those numbers come tumbling down. The reason to test for ketones is if he DOES need insulin, ketones can develop due to him not being able to use the food - insulin is what helps the body use the converted food.

This is just MY opinion - others please chime in...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Sharon14 likes this.
  30. Queed

Queed Member

I have his blood test result papers,

31. Queed

Queed Member

Yes, how do I take it off ?

32. Chris & China (GA)

Tests done at the vet's office are unreliable.....they can test up to 200 points higher due to the stress of being at the vet's office (just like our blood pressure is higher at our doctor's office!)

If all the dose adjustments have been made based on vet curves, he's most likely getting too much insulin, but one way to know for sure is to start testing before every shot and getting at least 1 test mid-cycle on the AM cycle and at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle.

Keep good data on our spreadsheet and we will be able to help you a lot more!!

And Welcome to the FDMB!! This is the best place you never wanted to be!!

Queed and Sharon14 like this.
  33. Chris & China (GA)

Go to the first post and look for "Thread tools"....it will give you the option to edit your subject line...Choose "no prefix"

34. Queed

Queed Member

The vet said there are no ketones although I don't know exactly what that means. I just checked him 3.5 hours after 1 unit v/s 4 and its down to 438. Is it too early for me to think this one unit is all he needs if it keeps dropping? I will check again at 5 am

35. Queed

Queed Member

A headache made me have to sit up at 1am this morning, that's when I typed in something about the highest insulin level for a cat and came across your website. I will start filling the sheet out tomorrow! Thank you all so so much !

36. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Ketones can develop at any time.

Since your insulin is a 'single cycle' insulin, no it's not too early to think 1 unit or even LESS or he doesn't even need it at all. Do the spreadsheet, put in numbers - that will tell us a lot.

HUGS!

37. Queed

Queed Member

Thank you ! I took it off .

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  38. Chris & China (GA)

We look forward to seeing your "extra sweet" kitty's picture too!!

39. Queed

Queed Member

I sang the alphabet while I was poking his poor ear. I think he liked it .

40. Queed

Queed Member

You probably won't, when this all first started and nothing was changing, I shaved both side of his back because my vet thought I had to be missing my shots. I was sure I wasn't and knew if I did. His hairs growing back nice, but he's sooo skinny , he looks pitiful.

41. Squeaky and KT (GA)

GOOD! You relaxed!

42. Queed

Queed Member

It's down more! 438 ! And very happy to eat ! Thank you .

JanetNJ and Sharon14 like this.
  43. Chris & China (GA)

Did you look at China when she was first diagnosed? She was a walking skeleton....her hair was oily, dirty and awful looking.

Compare it to the 2nd picture.....several months after I joined here!

You can always change it as improvements are made!

Jeff D / Sketch likes this.
  44. Queed

Queed Member

I will try to figure out that sheet tomorrow, I get up for work at 4am. Thank you all HUGE ! I have been worried sick for months. I think I might sleep all night . Good night my new friends ! ❤️

Squeaky and KT (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  45. Sharon14

Goodnight Annette. We look forward to hearing from you tomorrow!

Queed likes this.
  46. Queed

Queed Member

Yes ! I saw her ! My cat also got very oily , when I bathed him all the hair started coming off his tail, I thought I was going to faint

47. Chris & China (GA)

Our first vet told me that "insulin is a hassle.....feed her this expensive (and crappy) prescription food and she may live another 4 months"

That was over 5 years ago

Our kitties can be very resilient

Sharon14 likes this.
  48. JanetNJ

The hair will improve when the numbers improve. I don't think 1 unit will be enough but I'm glad your seeing downward movement. The food you were feeding was not good for a diabetic. I'm so glad you're switching to fancy feast classic.

49. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Good morning Annette! How are you and Queed today?

50. Queed

Queed Member

Not good, he can tell time you know, he starts talking about 4:30, and it was quite. He was up and walking around, but his glucose is over 600 so I gave him the 4units. I just don't understand, if prozinc lasts 12 hours and he was 540 at five pm and down to 438 three hours( 8:30pm) after 1 unit and cat food, why is it over 600 now at 5am. I really thought after those one unit injections and seeing an actual number was going to work. I guess not. I don't know if I can access this site with my phone from work, I'll try. I'll be back home by 4pm. Have a good day everyone.

51. JanetNJ

It doesn't go down and stay down 12 hours. it's a curve. it is at it lowest usually around 5-7 hours after the shot and then will usually climb back up.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  52. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Please stick with us. We can get you and your kitty feeling better. There's so much to learn about treating feline diabetes and it takes time to get there. I suggest you read some of this about ProZinc to get a better understanding:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/protocol-for-prozinc-pzi.165103/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...prozinc-pzi-insulin-for-diabetic-cats.164995/

Yes, ProZinc is a longer acting "in and out" insulin but its duration can vary from kitty to kitty and even within the same kitty dose to dose. The typical BG profile after a dose, if plotted on a graph, would give a smile-shaped curve. The BG would be higher at the start before the insulin kicks in (generally around 2 hours after injecting - but that's variable), drop slowly to its lowest level called the nadir (usually - but not always - in the 5 to 7 hour range post injection) and gradually rise to a level similar to where it started once the shot has worn off. This is called the "duration" and it can vary from 10 to 12 hours or longer. You can see that I've said "generally" and "usually" and "variable" a lot. Insulin is a hormone involved in many processes and the kitty's response can - and will - be different dose to dose. Some cats (the exceptions I'd say) are very consistent and moderate in their response. Most are variable and will work hard at keeping you guessing.

We can help you learn more so take a deep breath and start to read those guidelines slowly. Ask a ton of questions. :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  53. Sharon14

The 600+ number you saw this AM may have been a bounce which means his bg dropped a bit lower than he’s used to so his liver released glucose to bring it back up. The only way we can tell if this is happening is for you to get some midcycle tests when you can,and plot them on the spreadsheet. I know with working that can be difficult, but do you think you can get some extra tests at night and curves on the weekends? Also, when you get a chance, read the links Kris gave you. They explain how the insulin works and how we determine dosage.

54. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Anette, insulin is a hormone normally produced by the body - it is NOT a chemical medicine like a pain killer or app. stimulant. Giving 4 units isn't going to drive it down like taking 4 aspirin instead of 1. If kitty doesn't NEED 4 units, it's hurts NOT HELPS.

55. Queed

Queed Member

He was diagnosed June 6, we have been on 3 insulin’s, we have worked our way from .5 to 4 units over this 4 month period with no results, when I have skipped just to see what happens it goes to 500 or 409 , that’s why I was trying one unit , I thought it was working, I only did it for 2 shots, and he was 430 , 3.5 hours after one unit and food last night until this morning, back over 600.

56. Queed

Queed Member

I had read somewhere that you can miss their happy place , since by the time we were switching to prozic we were up to 2 units, that’s why I just tried 1unit yesterday

57. Chris & China (GA)

Here's my suggestions:

1. Get our spreadsheet up and going. Here are the Instructions on getting the FDMB spreadsheet

2. Add the information like you see in our "signatures" (the stuff that shows up under our comments) like: Your name/Cats name, age, sex, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, type of food, any other health problems or meds? and a general location. Add the link to your spreadsheet too. This keeps us from having to ask the same questions over and over or scrolling back through the entire thread trying to find details.

3. Try giving 3U every 12 hours for several days and get as many tests as you can in....Always get Pre-Shot tests and then (if at all possible) get at least 1 mid-cycle test on the AM cycle (like 5-7 hours after the shot) and on the PM cycle, get at least a "before bed" test....if you work during the day and can't get mid-cycle tests on the AM cycle, try to get at least 2-3 tests on the PM cycle. Do a full curve on a day off (test every 2 hours for 12 hours)

While it's true that too much insulin can look like not enough, we don't want to drop all the way back to 1U now.....If 3U proves to be too much, we'll be able to tell within a few days if you get those tests in.

If you need help setting up the spreadsheet, let me know. I can do it for you in about 30 seconds once I have some information. Just click on my sign on name and choose "Start Conversation" to send me a private message.

Just my opinion....how about changing your user name? While we all agree Diabetes Sucks, let's go for something more positive! You're in the right place now and I'm sure we'll be able to help you figure things out and get your "extra sweet" kitty as healthy as possible! (and we'd still like to see your kitty! We know they can look pretty "rough" at first, but they're still beautiful in our eyes)

58. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Annette, I promise that we can help you! Please take a look at what everyone has said and let us know what you think! We can help you figure things out if you work with us.

If you'd like, feel free to come visit in the Prozinc forum too. There are plenty of people who use the same insulin you do and it might help you to see some of their stories and how their kitties are doing. I know when I first started, seeing other people who were using the same insulin and seeing how their cats were doing helped me learn a lot about how to manage things and made me feel hopeful and like I could do this! The link is here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/ . Just reading through some of the information at the top and seeing what others are doing might help you feel better too.

Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.
  59. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

First sorry for what you are going through it is always difficult when our fury friends are not doing great. Second there are a ton of knowledgeable people here to help with dosing questions etc.
    The Fancy Feast pate should be great...maybe you can pick up a few cans at the store to get him started until the Chewy order arrives? Anything lower in carbs may help somewhat.
    I might additionally recommend giving him sub Q fluids at home to help with hydration and make him feel a bit better. It is easy to do and can really help the kidney issues out as well as help with the absorbing the insulin into the system. If you haven't already you can contact your vet and they can set you up initially and get you started.

60. Sharon14

@600+ have you been able to get some more tests on Queed?

61. Queed

Queed Member

Yes ! Thank you, I give him 100cc every other day.
    He's over 600 this morning and tonight, that's as high as the meter goes.

62. Queed

Queed Member

He was diagnosed on June 6, that's how long he has been high like this.

63. Sharon14

Will you be able to get the spreadsheet set up (Chris said she’d do it for you if you need her to) and get some midcycle tests over the weekend?

64. Queed

Queed Member

Yes she did it for me ! I can see it, I got the sheets app, but nothing from google yet , I think I need to get google to? This is all making my head spin, I was just temporarily locked out, every time I come on it's like I have forgotten my password! I just need to sleep I think. I did pick up a b-12 for him today.

65. Queed

Queed Member

66. Sharon14

Awww Queed, we’ll help your mom get you back in shape! He sure has a sweet face Annette! If it’s asking for your password every time you log on, be sure to click the ‘stay logged in’ As for the spreadsheet, Chris can answer that question. I had to have someone do it for me!

67. Chris & China (GA)

You don't necessarily have to get the email from Google.....as long as you can open the spreadsheet and sign into Google, you should be able to make entries.

Sharon14 likes this.
  68. Chris & China (GA)

I love his long whiskers!!!

69. Queed

Queed Member

C3C8F7A4-8271-4D78-B77B-D4C069B21569.jpeg CA4C2A3B-640D-4132-8981-D319B294407F.jpeg
    He is just wasting away we have been trying to get below 600 since June 6
    He is sooo sweet, wants to be in your lap all the time or following like a dog, has never started a fight or had fear of dogs, just always rubbing on everyone ❤️ That saddle look he’s got is because I shaved his hair in June to make sure I wasn’t missing. The vet thought that was why it wasn’t working but I’ve got 9 rescue cats buried, from 16 to 21 years old all died of (put down) at the end stage of kidney failure, two from cancer and on of heart disease. And all I treated for as long as they were able to eat and get around, so shots were no problem for me, I did miss ( go through) once but I knew it. I’m glad his hair is growing back. And he likes baths, thank goodness because he was very greasy about 2 months ago.

Attached Files:

Sharon14 and JanetNJ like this.
  70. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Aw. He's a lovely fella. Such a handsome face. :cat:

71. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Him stretching on your leg tugs at my heart strings. What a sweet face. I'm partial to tabbies! :) sending you healing vines. Chin scritches for your sweet guy. :bighug::bighug: those are for you

72. Queed

Queed Member

He wants me to pick him up and hold him all the time. He’s such a baby ❤️

73. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

He's a cute guy...Stay positive! I believe animals are very perceptive as to what their humans are feeling. Instead of thinking he is going to pass away...think we are going to get you dialed in and then you will start gaining your weight and strength back! He needs to know you are secure that you can help him. Cats have incredible spirit and will to survive let him know you feel the same.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  74. Queed

Queed Member

Thank you, it’s been 4 months, I’m just so frustrated about it. He sat in the shed with me while I made his concrete grave marker, I was crying, and then I got mad and took him to a different vet right then , on a Sunday at emergency prices, just for another opinion, I have definitely had my weak moments these past 2 weeks, I’m afraid organs could be damaged by now. It’s my first cat to ever have diabetes, I never knew it was so difficult to get under control.

75. Jeff D / Sketch

Jeff D / Sketch Member

Please get rid of that grave marker...thats just negative karma!!! If things reach that point there will be time to do that...plus him seeing you upset is disturbing. Lets get this turned around. People diabetics can also have a hard time getting under control.You had said he is also an out door cat...could he be sourcing some other cats high carb food in your neighborhood??? Someone that may be free feeding there cats or dogs dry food???

76. JanetNJ

See if your vet can give you some ad recovery perscription food. It's high in calories. Literally let your cat eat as much as it wants. Poor thing needs weight.

While 3-4 units might seem like a lot, to you, honestly he needs what she needs. My cat needs about 8 units at the moment. It'S just how it is.

How much does she weigh? 100 ml may be too much of hes under 10 lbs.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  77. JanetNJ

Can you set up a signature with basic info? It would help us not have to ask the same questions repeatedly.

Click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info such as your pets name, date diagnosed, age, insulin type, food you're feeding, meter you use, and any other health concerns and medications. Then save.

78. Queed

Queed Member

Oh no! He doesn’t roam. He’s in an enclosed area, fenced with his own 10x12 insulated building, furnishings, electricity, and heat. He can stay in or go into the fenced in yard when he wants, he has a buddy out there with him. We have coyotes bad around here, so they cannot run free.

Sharon14 and JanetNJ like this.
  79. Sharon14

Annette, he looks so sweet:cat: im glad you came to this site, we can help you help him. Go ahead and set up your signature like Janet mentioned and include a link to your spreadsheet. Once we can see some data, we can really start helping Queed.

80. Queed

Queed Member

I am sooo unfamiliar with computers, I was up till 1 am and filled out his entire labs on a Copy of the spread sheet

81. Queed

Queed Member

I don’t know what I have done, I have the spreadsheet saying it’s available for viewing, can you see it ?

82. Kris & Teasel

I think what you have to do is copy the URL (web address) from the top of the page when your spreadsheet is open then go to your signature and paste that URL into your signature text box. To do that go to your name in the upper right of the FDMB page, click on it and select signature in the drop down menu. Paste that URL into the text box, click save and that should do it.

83. JanetNJ

good job getting the signature up. Now go back in and put the url address of the spreadsheet

The weight management food is not only too high in carb, but intended for cats that are trying to lose weight. When are you switching to fancy feast? When you do, please feed as much as he wants. One can if the food he's getting now may not be enough calories for him to put weight back on. Plus unregulated cats sometimes need more food because their bodies can not properly utilize the nutrients in the food so they can be starving even though they are eating.

84. Queed

Queed Member

View attachment 39453
    It says link sharing is on
    I’m am feeling like a COMPLETE idiot right now, I have been trying for hours to figure out how to share the labs with you all, his BG was over 600 at 7 am now at 10:30 am he is 382 ! We are on a 4 hour drive, my boyfriend said he will try to figure it out when we get to the hotel, he said maybe it cannot be done from and iPhone and I think I accidentally deleted his real file, but I still have the copy with all his labs on it.

85. JanetNJ

Good that you turned link sharing on, but you have to put the link to the file in the signature. Like do you see in my signature I have a link that says CC'S spreadsheet? So when someone clicks on that link they see her spreadsheet. We need you to put the link in your signature so we can see it. Does that make sense? Yes you can do it with your phone.... That's what I usually use. In your spreadsheet click the three dots in the upper right. Then choose share and export... Then copy link.

Come back to fdmb and go into your signature. Then paste the link and save.

6FB8A8A4-A47D-49A9-BACB-9A88D109A90E.png

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  86. JanetNJ

382 down from 600 is a good start.

87. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Poor kitty needs food! As much as he can eat. :bighug:

88. Kris & Teasel

I put in my two cents over on your ProZinc forum thread.

89. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

You've done a fab job getting your signature and spreadsheet up and running. I can see all the details and the lab.

Well done you.:bighug:

90. Queed

Queed Member

Thank you ! I’m soo sorry about your Prince. . It never ever gets any easier. I have buried so many and it’s always devastating for me. Qweed is gobbling up this Fancy Feast like he has been starving since June on the prescription diet, and I guess he has been. This morning his BG is 412 ! Do you think I should stick with 4 units? I haven’t given him any yet,

Jeff D / Sketch likes this.
  91. Kris & Teasel

I answered on your ProZinc thread.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  92. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Hi, I'm glad it appears that he's starting to react to the insulin and you are seeing some low numbers that is very good news!

Have you started switching the food (maybe you already mentioned it but I didn't saw it sorry if I missed it)?

I've just took a look at the labs you added to the SS, when you have some time could you please also update the reference range to the ones the lab your vet used has, just to make sure we are looking at them correctly, thanks in advance

And looking at his kidney values I think you will have to start considering looking after his kidneys (his creatinine is a bit high ) specially you should start thinking about lowering his phosphorus, vet and the lab will probably tell you phosphorus it is in normal range and it is but is a little bit higher than you would like it to be to protect his kidneys so try to start looking at Dr. Lisa's list (http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf) and find some food (comercial not prescription ) that is low carb (under 10% in this list) and low phosphorus (under 250 if you can get under 200 is even better)

Also he would also benefit if you can give him some B complex supplement specially B12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.