Hey all - intro and couple questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dan Schoo, Apr 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Schoo

Dan Schoo New Member

So, I got the news the other day that my guy Grendel has the diabetes.

Unfortunately I was out of town on a three month long rock climbing road trip when he first started showing symptoms back in February. My roommate texted me saying he was drinking lots of water and peeing a lot and I said I thought it sounded like renal failure and had her get in touch with my mom (who shoulda known better too) who works at a cat shelter and can get prescription food. So we did that.... little did I know, that there are about 14 different reasons that a cat will overhydrate and overpee.

Either way, better late than never, and I gotta quit kicking myself for that gaff and hopefully nip this thing in the bud. I’ve picked up the right prescription food (Royal Canin glycobalance, wet) and the insulin pen (glarcin) and will start with the insulin treatment.

He’s not touching the prescription food, but he licked it exitedly when i mixed in some baby food into it. Any tips on getting him to eat the prescription food would be appreciated. I’m also gonna pick up some non prescription wet food that’s better for him.

I live in Seattle and I just got back in town at the beginning of the month and Grendel and my other cat Braeburn still live with my old roommate. It sucks because I want to live with the cats because I love them obviously, but now also to administer this treatment and monitor Grendel better. But I know that moving would stress them out! Kelsey, my old roommate and good friend, is up for helping with the treatment but I feel it’s beginning to be a lot to ask. Any advice here??

Sorry, kind of a long post and some venting was thrown in there. Thanks for reading.

allison and Bubbles likes this.
  2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

In regards to food. There is a list on the website catinfo.org here is the link http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Pick anything 10% or less. Most here feed the Fancy Feast or Friskies pates. You may want to pick up a couple cans of 15% or higher as well. You don't need the prescription food.

That said, have you tried putting some parmesan cheese, bonita flakes on top? You can try heating it up a bit..5 seconds in the microwave to help get the smell going. I use crushed up freeze dried treats to help entice Jones.

Lantus is a good insulin to use. You may want to start by heading over to the Lantus and Levimar forum and reading the sticky notes on the top. If you have any further questions they can be answered there.

Are you planning on home testing?

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! Your best chance of regulating your cat, in addition to the proper food, is through home testing. We can help you with that if you're willing to learn how.

5. allison and Bubbles

allison and Bubbles Member

flora fauna? is another popular app stimulant. .there are vet prescribed ones too if necessary...hopefully your roomate can administer the insulin properly...I found the process a bit daunting but workable...I would be concerned that the dose is really accurate aswell as the timing (no more than half hr window some vets advise)...also no accidental "false shots" where kitty's dosage could be compromised...apparently it real routine after the first bit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.