Hey everyone! Candy and Onyx here!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CandyandOnyx, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CandyandOnyx

CandyandOnyx New Member

Let me start off by saying that I'm no stranger to this forum. I had an account last year for my first diabetic cat, Alphie. I ended up leaving the group because on top of the diabetes, Alphie also was diagnosed with cancer and honestly when he got that diagnosis, I just kind of shut down. He ended up passing November 26th of last year.
    After Alphie died, I felt so useless. I felt like there was no reason to even get out of bed anymore my reason was ripped away from me. I had nobody else to take care of.
    My mom noticed how I was feeling and on December 6th brought home my Onyx! He had been surrendered to the vet twice. Once because the owner was too old to take care of him, and the second time because of his diabetes diagnosis. His second home he stayed at for 3 years, so when they surrendered him to the vet, he because very anxious and depressed.
    When my mom brought him home, him and I clicked instantly. He hid under my bed and when I came in my room to introduce myself, he came out and nudged my face. Now we're inseparable when I'm home.
    He's even because best friends with my other boy cat, Fabio! They're always seen running around and playing together. It's pretty funny until they start doing it in the middle of the night and start knocking stuff over!

Onyx is 7 and a half years old. Currently in remission. We feed him royal canin glycobalance, 2 cans per meal.
    I've been trying to get him in with our vet for a check up, but every time we try to put him in the carrier, he won't let us and we end up having to cancel. I think it's because besides when my mom brought him home, the last time he was in a carrier he got left. I think he associates that carrier with bad memories.
    So I have two questions: 1. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get him in a carrier? I've never had this problem with any of my other cats.
    2. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a new carrier? Maybe getting a new one would help since that's his carrier from when his last owner dropped him off. He's super tall, so I've had a hard time finding anything.

Thank you all for reading my long post! I hope all is well for everyone and their kitties!

Julia Rae likes this.
  2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the forum. I am sorry to hear you lost Alphie. Many of us here are the same - it is very tough to lose our kittehs.

That is great you have a new buddy Onyx. He is appropriately named!

We use traditional carriers. I put them on a table and load each cat head first. Since the carrier is at the edge of the table, there is no where else to go. One of our carriers is really big, because Leo is almost 18 pounds. The bigger the kitteh, the more luvin' they give!

3. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome back.. I am a bit more abrupt when I load my two older girls... scoop them up, with the carr5ier on end opening facing up.. I drop them in rump first as I hold their rear legs and front legs snug to the body. Not once has any cat I had to put in that way avoided the kennel. My other 2 are not so bad.. Morgana will go in on her own and Khalessi she does as well after complaining about it first!

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I suggest leaving the opened carrier in the same room with him for several days. If you have a cat pad put it in it and sprinkle a little bit of catnip to attract him to the carrier. You want to change his perception of the carrier to something good. Give him lots of praise when he goes in and out of it, maybe even rewarding him with low carb treats. When you do take him to the vet remember to praise & reward him when he goes in and when he comes out of the carrier.

This is not a quick fix. A new carrier could help. If you can find one that opens from both the side and top, it makes it easier to get a cat into it. Here is the kind of one I suggest or something similar.
    https://www.amazon.com/Petmate-24-Inch-Kennel-Metallic-Coffee/dp/B0062JFGM0

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I use a SleepyPod Mobile Pet Bed & Carrier.

Are there any mobile vets in your area? Maybe you could just have one come to you and cut out the stressful carrier and trip to the clinic.

Oh, and welcome back!

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome back. I use a pet stroller. Smokey was big and to heavy for me to carry at the time because my back was out. He was 18 lbs, tall and long. He fit well in the stroller which separates and can be a carrier. Which was the main reason I got this one. I do not use the canopy. After all I needed to get him from parking lot to vets door which is on a busy highway. I got it in red as blue was back ordered. I ordered it over a holiday weekend Friday after 5 pm and it arrived Tuesday afternoon. It really fits the purpose for me. I put kitty in carrier in the house then hubby carries out to car. Frame folds down and fits in back of SUV. Much like an infant stroller. During transfers from house to car to stroller frame to vets office, kitty is never at risk of being loose or getting loose. dog-pink-stroller.jpg

https://www.discountramps.com/dog-pink-stroller/p/PET-STR-17-STROLLERS/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.