Hey everyone

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carol & Orlando, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carol & Orlando

Carol & Orlando Member

Hey there!
    First time posting here (joined today) :)

I'm Carol, I'm Orlando's, Sarah's and Johnny's mom. Orlando is a white 12 year old kitty, my first male cat ever (always had females before).
    He's been diagnosed with diabetes back in July. He was in such bad shape when we figured out he was diabetic, he had to spend a few days at the clinic and all, he barely died.
    He started the Lantus insuline after he got out of the clinic, everything was scary in the beginning but it all went well (after changing vets and finding him an endocrinologist).
    Then in October the endocrinologist decided it was time to stop the insuline, his BGs were reading normal (around 90-110) for a few days. I was super happy with that, but no one told me I should keep checking his BGs from time to time... I should have known, definitely, but I was still new to this diabetes thing, you know.. I trusted the vets to give me all the information I needed. Silly me. No one told me to keep checking him.
    After a couple of weeks, I saw he wasn't doing so well, so I checked his BG. It was around 430!! That was in the beginning of November.

He's been back to Lantus since then, currently at 2 units twice a day (4 in total). But his numbers are still in the 400s, sometimes even above 500 (which my meter just shows as Hi)... I decided I needed to study diabetes in cats myself, I can't rely on vets anymore, since they usually don't know much about cats here (I live in Brazil, a much more dog-friendly country... even though that's been changing).

I've been lurking around here for a few days and decided I should join. You guys have great information here! Thanks so much for that!

I'll keep studying and doing my best to help my boy out as much as I can! His one of my three babies, the loves of my life <3

Sorry for such a long introduction post haha
    Cheers, everyone!

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Carol! Welcome!

You sure found the right place to start understanding all this and get Orlando back on the right path!

We look forward to your posting over in our main forum, Feline Health with questions!

HUGS!

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.