hey y'all

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jade77, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade77

Jade77 Member

question...Gabe tested Boots this evening before his shot, bgl was 380. Gave him food, then shot. Tested 3 hours later and he's still at 235. Is that an okay number? Should I test again before we go to bed to see where he's at? Thanks! :)

2. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

He's coming down so that's good. And yes, I would grab a before-bed test. The more tests, the more data; the more data, the easier to see how the dose is affecting him and when. ;-)

3. Jade77

Jade77 Member

awesome. Thanks for responding!

4. 235 is an okay number, yes.

And I'm with Kay on the before-bed-test suggestion.

5. Jade77

Jade77 Member

He seems to be doing pretty good! And in two weeks I'll be able to afford switching him to lantus or something else better than the humulin. He's acting more like his old grumpy, lovable self! I haven't noticed any urine on my floors lately...does regulating the blood sugar help with that or something? Or maybe I just haven't found a spot he went yet lol

6. Jade77

Jade77 Member

It's 131 :)

7. As the numbers get better, yes. If he was drinking excessively or peeing excessively before, both of those things will improve. That's one of the first things that you'd notice vs. the "pre-insulin" days.

And 131 is much nicer than 235 (and much easier to deal with than a 50 in the middle of the night too!).

8. Jade77

Jade77 Member

true. I woke up this morning and he was 460 again :( How do I keep those high numbers away??

9. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

The high number means the insulin just isn't lasting long enough. Once you switch to Lantus you should see a change.

10. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

A better insulin will help for sure.

How is his eating right now? Whats he being fed? Is he eating normally?

And how is he feeling?

Wendy

11. Jade77

Jade77 Member

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, Wendy, didn't notice it before I left for work. He's eating alright. He isn't ravenous or anything but I'd estimate he's eating about a can to a can and a half of the wet friskies pate, and I give him diced pieces of boiled chicken as treats for his tests, and I feed him a little to distract him when I give him the shot. Just a couple bites to keep him occupied. He seems to be feeling better. Walking around again, meowing, he isn't overdrinking anymore..is that a good or bad thing? He's still drinking, but not like he has a never-ending thirst. Im having a problem with my non-diabetic cat stealing his food though, so I try to police as much as I can. He used to bully her out of food (she's a really small fluffy calico, barely over 7 lbs) but now she comes up and just bumps him away from his food and starts chowing down. His last preshot test was 416, he got his .5 at 830, and we are just waiting til 1130 to re-test and see where he is at. I should be able to afford lantus or something better in two weeks, which will be a relief. Im going to call the CVS pharmacy in the AM and ask what they will charge me for the scrip that was written last week. I called them before and told them the name and the guy said "Ive never heard of that." But after talking to you all, I learned that glargine is just lantus..right?

12. Definitely a good thing! On a canned food diets, some cats get all the fluids they need just from their food. Bob rarely goes to the water bowl. Actually I can't remember the last time I've seen him drink from it. When he was first diagnosed, I was refilling it several times a day.

Yes, Lantus is "glargine". Lantus is a brand name.

13. Jade77

Jade77 Member

The guy answering the phone was probably new or something. I think when I do get the better insulin, I will stick with the bottle, it really isn't too difficult to fill the syringe myself. Plus I just bought a box of like 200 syringes. Will I have to start from the beginning as far as dosing when I do make the switch?

14. Just to clarify, even if you get the pens of lantus, you would still use a syringe to draw the insulin out of the pen. We don't use the needles that come on the pens. The pens are more economical over the long run too. If I'm not mistaken you are using U100 syringes, right?

Here's a video that a member (Julie) made that shows how to draw the insulin out of the vial and the pen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u4KtK_skpmQ#at=11

As far as starting dose on Lantus, it would depend on what his dose is on the current insulin when you switch. Most likely, it'll be a tad less, but we'll cross that bridge when you get to it. :smile:

15. Jade77

Jade77 Member

oooooh, I see. See how little I know? Lol. I will learn in time, I'm sure. Yes, we are using U-100. Are those the best ones to use?

16. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Lantus insulin has a concentration of 100 Units. Some insulins have a concentration of 40 units. You want to have the syringe units match the insulin units.

The U-100 syringes come in various sizes. The best ones to get are the 3/10cc, 5/16" or 1/2" needle length, 29-31 gauge, with 1/2 unit markings on the barrel of the syringe. Those 1/2 unit markings are key and extremely useful for dosing in 0.5U increments and make estimating 0.25U increments much, much easier.

The Lantus savings card program for the pen is why many of us use the Solostar pens. If you can find a pharmacy like Target, some Wal-marts, small independent pharmacies, that will sell you a single pen at a time, it's less cost up front. You have to call around and ask. Not all pharmacies will sell a single pen.

17. Jade77

Jade77 Member

are my posts being deleted? I posted something and it disappeared. I think it's happened a few times since I joined this messaged board...Those are the exact syringes I got. 3/10, 31 gauge, 8mm. Will putting him on the lantus help with the amount of times we have to test his blood? Or will I continue to have to do that throughout the day as part of the disease treatment? Also I noticed in the video about pens vs vials that she had said some air got into the pen, so it was useless. Is that a common issue?

18. Deb & Wink

Sometimes you will be writing something and you get logged off the board. Happened to me already once, maybe 30-45 minutes ago.

You can also be cross posting with someone. If you do not see the message that "at least one new post has been posted since you ....." and hit submit a second time, your post disappears.

You'll need to get 4 tests a day on the Lantus. Pre-shots AM and PM, mid-cycle for each cycle if you can. That before bed test is always a good one.

With any new insulin, you need to do a bit more testing if you can, to see how low it drops your cat. With Lantus, the dose changes are based on the lowest number or nadir, which is usually around +5-+7 but varies from cat to cat. Wink always nadired early at +4 or so.

19. No, nobody is deleting your posts.:)
    Most likely, what Deb described is happening -
    That happens to me often too. If someone else has replied just before you do, there is that "at least one new post..." Message that pops up. But you have to scroll up or down to see it or you'll miss it.

As a moderator, I can view a log of any posts that have been deleted. The only person who can delete a post is the person who originally posted it. Same with editing posts. Only you can do that to your posts.

The only people on the board who can edit or delete posts made by other people are the moderators. And all those actions are "logged" as well. We usually will only do that if you ask us to, like if you aren't quite sure how to do it yourself.

20. Jade77

Jade77 Member

hey I just did his AM preshot test and his glucose is so high that it wouldn't read...it just said high. The manual says that if it's over 600 all it will say is "high." What do I do?? I've never seen it that high!

21. Deb & Wink

He needs some insulin. Remind me again how much he is getting of the Humulin? Couldn't find it quickly in your post.

ETA: We seriously could use some info in your signature. Like your name, cat's name age and sex, insulin used, meter used, food being eaten, any complicating medical issues.

And a SS (spreadsheet) is desperately needed in order to feel comfortable giving you dose suggestions here.

7/27 PMPS 416 0.5U +3 ?

Did you get another test last night?

22. Jade77

Jade77 Member

This is the first and only message board I have ever used, so I don't really know what a signature is...? Also I am writing everything down because I am basically computer illiterate and have no idea how to make a spreadsheet. So I have been hand writing all the records. My fiance Gabe did his test and shot last night because I was at work, but he did text me after he did it all, and wrote down the results. He tested him at 8pm last night and it was 416, and gave him .5 of humulin. I retested when I got home from work around 11pm and it was 174. Which has pretty much been the "norm" so far. But when I got up this morning to test (730am) it said "high" so I gave him some boiled chicken and a shot after the food at 8am, it's now been 47 mins since then. We started at 1 unit of the humulin, but it dropped him down to 50 so we halfed the dose and have been getting readings in the mid to high 100s

23. Deb & Wink

Sorry, need to explain the signature to you.

At the bottom of my posts, there is a block of information. That data is saved in my User Control Panel, Profile tab, Edit Signature free form text box. You have up to 255 characters of data you can put in there. Every time I post, that information is auromatically added to the end of my posts. I can change it, add, or delete info at any time.

Do you know how to do a cut and paste?

I can give you detailed, step by step instructions on how to add the data to your signature if you want. Or, you can try to go to the User Control Panel in upper left corner of screen, click on those words, select Profile tab, Select Edit Signature from the left hand menu and start typing away in the free form text box. Remember to Submit to save the data, just like you do with a post.

We have a standard spreadsheet template and can help you set it up. Do you have a Google account? or can you set one up?

24. Jade77

Jade77 Member

I think I can figure that out from your instructions. I will try the signature now, what info do you want in in? And particular way it should be worded? And I do have a google account.

25. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

In your signature, it helps to have your 1st name or nickname, your cat's name, what insulin, and what meter you are using. You have 255 characters you can use, including spaces.

The spreadsheet is nothing more than a grid of cells. Each cell is a place where you can put information - dates, numbers, or text.

spreadsheet instructions

This particular spreadsheet will automatically color the cells based on the number you enter for any tests.
    AMPS = morning pre-shot
    PMPS = evening pre-shot
    Units of insulin go in the turquoise column
    +1 = 1 hour after the shot
    +2 = 2 hours after the shot
    Etc
    Notes = any info you want to document, such as appetite, thirst, elimination, etc.

By putting it in. Google account, you can access it from any computer. By sharing it, you can let us look at it and give you feedback.

26. Deb & Wink

Info for your signature sort of on separate lines like this:

Your first name, cat's name age and sex.
    diagnosis date (for example DX 07/xx/13) Meter used and insulin used.
    food being fed. I.e. Friskies pates
    any complicating medical issues such as CKD or asthma or chronic ear infections.

That would be good for now.

If you would like help setting up the SS (spreadsheet), send me a PM. Just click on the PM icon to the right of my posts. We help those that may be less computer literate. It will only take me about 10 minutes with a bit of information from you.

Even with an Spreadsheet setup, it's a good idea to still keep track in a notebook like you're doing now.

27. Jade77

Jade77 Member

I just noticed that you asked if I got another test last night. Yes, I did it three hours after Gabe gave him his ****, it was down to 174 before I went to bed.

28. Deb & Wink

If you would like help setting up the SS (spreadsheet), send me a PM. Just click on the PM icon to the right of my posts. We help those that may be less computer literate. It will only take me about 10 minutes with a bit of information from you.

29. Jade77

Jade77 Member

I just did another test and he is still at 393 :/

30. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

good morning!

Remind me what time was his shot and how much ..? You might want to try 0.75 units next time.

Wendy

31. Jade77

Jade77 Member

he was over 600 this am, because when we tested him it just said "high". I gave him .5 at 8 am, the test I just did was at 9.40am. I will test again at 11

32. Jade77

Jade77 Member

And good morning to you too!! Sorry, I still haven't had my coffee :)

33. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Here are some glucose reference ranges used for decision making using a human glucometer:

< 40 mg/dL
    - Treat as if HYPO
    - At nadir (lowest point between shots) in a long term diabetic (more than a year), may earn a reduction.

< 50 mg/dL
    - If before nadir, steer with food, ie, give modest amounts of medium carb food to keep from going below 50.
    - At nadir, often indicates dose reduction is earned.

50 - 130 mg/dL
    - On insulin - great control when following a tight regulation protocol.
    - Off insulin - normal numbers.
    (May even go as low as the upper 30s; if not on insulin, this can be safe.

> 150 mg/dL
    - At nadir, indicates a dose increase may be needed when following a tight regulation protocol.

180 - 280 mg/dL
    - Any time - The renal threshold (depending on data source and cat's renal function) where glucose spills into the urine.
    - Test for ketones, glucose is too high.

>= 280 mg/dL, if for most of the cycle between shots
    - Uncontrolled diabetes and thus at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis and hepatic lipidosis
    - Follow your insulin protocol for dose adjustments
    - Test for ketones; if more than a trace level of ketones, go to vet ASAP.

34. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

We gotta teach you our nomenclature

So is it

AMPS HI - 0.5IU
    +1.5 393?

let me know. If so he is dropping nicely. And you are planning at +3 (11am) right?
    Wendy

35. Jade77

Jade77 Member

That's exactly right. And yes, another test at 11am, so 25 more mins. Im really trying to learn the lingo. But I just started a new job, a new position I've never worked before, I have so much information flooding my head every day that some days lately I feel like it might just burst. And now all this at the same time.

36. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Sounds stressful! But you are doing great!!

37. Jade77

Jade77 Member

the test tooka a few tries, but we got 155 :)

38. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Maybe get a +4 or +5?

39. Jade77

Jade77 Member

I had to go out and do grocery shopping and all the other things I haven't been able to do this week due to work so I just got home. Boots is eating and happy, so as soon as he's done at his bowl I'll get another test, and in the next couple hours Gabe will sit down with me and try this spread sheet thing and see if we can get that going today as well. I called the vet who prescribed the glargine vial because I talked to a pharmacist at CVS that said if I could get the scrip changed to the pen she could sell me a single pen for 70 bucks. But I called the office, the Dr couldn't (or wouldn't) speak to me. The receptionist took my info and I explained to her what I wanted with the scrip. She said the dr would have to look over it all and get back to me :/ I have a feeling she isn't interested in changing it for me though.

40. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

You sign up online and pay only $25 per pen for up to 6 pens. That's why it's so important to get the script for the pens so keep being persistent with your vet! I had my vet write the prescription for 1 pen with 5 refills so Walmart sells me the pens individually. Saves me on up front costs that way. ;-)

And no, you won't have to generally test as much since Lantus is a much gentler insulin and doesn't drop them as harsh or as fast. The chances of a hypo are decreased (but there is always still a chance!) and once you get more data on how their cycles flow, you can usually predict early on whether it will be an active cycle (lots of testing) or a normal cycle (spot checks) or a high, flat cycle (one or two spot checks if you can).

41. Jade77

Jade77 Member

I tried to sign up but you have to print something out and I don't have a printer

42. Jade77

Jade77 Member

And I just clicked on your link, it says I need a 9 digit ID number to "activate" my card..but I dont have a card.

43. Deb & Wink

This link here is to sign up for the Lantus Savings Card program. The link from Kpassa was to activate an existing account.

I do not know what your options are if you can not print out the "card" on-line. There may be a way to get it mailed to you.

Sign up like it is for you, no insurance. You are signing up as if this were for an underaged minor child.

44. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correct link, Deb!

If you can't print it out, write down the reference number and all other pertinent information on a piece of paper. They don't need the physical card but they do need to know how to cross-reference the discount. They have to call your vet to confirm as well (he gives them his "prescription ID" or something). Either way, Walmart allowed me to return within 30 days of my receipt of purchase with it and gave me cash back a couple of weeks later when I remembered to bring it in. You also only have to give it to them once and it stays tied to your prescription account so every time I've gone back for refills, it's automatically applied and I only pay $25 each time without having to ask for it.

45. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

The card is for the prescription, not the patient so it doesn't matter if it's for a cat who doesn't qualify for any government funding and isn't covered under insurance. I've heard some pharmacies have given people a hard time but they're wrong. There's a phone number on the card you'll also want to write down and if the pharmacist gives you a hard time, tell them to call that number for "proof of eligibility" by the Lantus manufacturer (McKesson). The manufacturer will then tell them it's a discount based on the purchase of their Lantus product so it doesn't matter who the patient is (trust me; I called and asked ;-) ).

46. Jade77

Jade77 Member

okay. I am still waiting for a call from the vet I took him to. I was told I'd get a call back today, but I didn't get one. Tried to go in but they closed early. I don't know if she will give me a new scrip for the pens. I'll just have to wait and see.

47. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

@ KPassa re. the Lantus coupon. I got the coupon when you recommended it to me awhile back, & took it to Costco, who was fine honoring it. The problem was, the vet needed to have a specific medical number (a 'NIB'? I don't remember what they called it.) Costco called our vet to get the number, & they don't have one - vets aren't required to have one, apparently.

So - I called the Lantus company directly to explain & a very snippy woman informed me the coupon was not for animals. I politely explained there was nothing on the coupon exempting animals or stating 'for humans only', & that vets weren't required to have the number the Lantus company was requiring to honor the coupon She essentially told me, "No animals. No number, no coupon. TS."

If anyone has as answer to this, I'd love to get that $100 discount, too!

48. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Call back and try again; ask to speak to a manager, even! The person I spoke with was very helpful and said that as long as the prescription costs weren't covered by anything else, they didn't care who it was ultimately for. You were buying their product, hence you get the discount on the product. The ID thing was simply to verify that it's a valid prescription covered by no other programs or insurance.

(When it comes to call centers, persistency is key. Don't give up till someone can get you what you want. Their job is to service the customer. In this case, you're not asking for anything a manager can't override or work something out for you. If they absolutely need the NIB for the saving card, then I'm sure they have some coupons that don't require that number to use that they could send you instead.)

49. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

How are things going? Did you ever hear back from your vet?

No, that's a person being really ridiculous about air (or maybe using the pen tips instead of a syringe?). You use a syringe on the pen just as if it were a vial. You don't want to go around shooting air into the pen by any means, but you're bound to get some air in the pen each time you use it. This does not make it useless at all! It just makes it a bit harder to draw around the air bubble that accumulates the farther down the insulin goes. My last pen I finished just last week had about 2u worth of air in the bottom of it by the time I was done. It worked just fine to the last drop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.