Hi All from VA

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karli Brown, Apr 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karli Brown

Karli Brown New Member

Hi I'm Karli and my cat Adrian was just diagnosed with feline diabetes. I am in the beginning stages and am still researching a lot. Vet game me Hill m/d food but I am currently looking for food that is lower carb and lower $ :). I have two other kitties and am hoping to move all of them to a healthier food option.

I've also got a prescription for insulin and needles and I am getting today and need to order the home monitoring system.

I hope to get to know everyone!

Attached Files:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    What insulin? Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    It is good that you want to hme test. A good neter is the Walmart Confirm or Confirm Micro Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugars
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Where in Virginia? I am by National-Reagan Airport

3. Karli Brown

Karli Brown New Member

Hi! I found this forum from the blog by Dr Lisa and read up on all her information and saw that she recommended using those meters! Since you also suggested it I may go ahead and get those. the insulin prescription is Lantus 10ml. I also decided to try the classic fancy feast patte instead of the expensive stuff they told me to buy. I'm hoping I can return it to them!

I am supposed to go back next week once I have everything so they can show me how to test and give the insulin shots. I'm hoping she will go into remission but she is 13 and I don't know how long she has gone on with this disease.

I'm near Richmond, Va :)

4. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome Karli and Adrian! I'm new to this as well, so cant supply any advice, but wanted to say your kitties are beautiful, which one is Adrian?

5. Jacqui & Thomas

Jacqui & Thomas Member

Hi Karli! I'm new here too; thank God for this board and the people who take time to help others and their kitties! Wishing you success on this journey.

6. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

hello and welcome

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. You are limited to 2 hard returns, so separate pieces by | or -.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as your name | cat's name | date of Dx (diagnosis) | insulin | meter general location (city and state/province) any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.

Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.