Hi All

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Milo'sMom, May 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milo'sMom

Milo'sMom New Member

My cat Milo was diagnosed last September with diabetes and my vet immediately had me start giving PZI insulin 3 units 2x per day and feed him Hills Science Diet wet and dry. Unfortunately, my grandmother was passing at the same time and I was very overwhelmed to do any real research and have just been following her advice. I'm now trying to find a good wet food for him, but Milo is very stubborn and will not eat any flavour of wet food other than plain chicken. He won't eat any raw food or even lightly cooked/baked. He has appointment for a 6 month check up and blood panel. I plan to tell my vet that he will no longer eat anything from HS and that I'm going to transition him to a better wet food. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Sandra

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You need to be home testing the blood glucose before making a food switch as that can reduce the glucose 100-200 mg/dL and drop the insulin dose 1-2 units (your mileage may vary). You need an inexpensive human glucometer, matching test strips, and lancets for alternate site testing (25-28 gauge - slightly thicker pins to improve chances of getting a testable blood drop).

Step 1 may be a low carb dry food such as Evo Cat and Kitten (specialty pet shops or o or Young Again 0 Carb (internet only).

Step 2 is to read over Cat Info.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.