? Hi bg for Baby!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becky & Baby Girl GA, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Babys ears get hot when her BG is high. They also bleed freely. I’ve been up since 3:00 am after hearing her vomiting & I know she doesn’t feel good. Her ears were hot last night with a reading of 596 & still hot now. I gave a .8 injection- .2 above her normal dose but maybe I should have given more. The ears also bleed freely of course because they’re hot. Has anyone else noticed this? She’s eaten & drank water & I checked for ketones... negative. Should I have raised the dose? She tries to run & hide when I take her bg. I hate this disease & what it’s putting her through! Worried... she’s afraid of my grandchildren & they visited yesterday, would that be enough to raise her bg? Anyone have ideas or advice please?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Do you think she has a fever? A pancreatitis episode? And yes any stress, like grandchildren can raise their bg, although if it was just that, it should be back down by now. Glad ketones are negative! Is she keeping her breakfast down?

3. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Around 5:00 am its back down & she kept her breakfast down. Good appetite & her ears are back to coolish! I had other company yesterday so I’m thinking that did it... she gets very nervous I can tell. Thank you so much for responding Sharon! :bighug:
    I do think she’s hypersensitive due to her blindness.

4. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I’ve got cerenia I can give her too. She’s not slept much & restless. She also always wants outside but it won’t stop raining! She’s mad! She says “maaahht” when she’s mad!

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Poor Baby. Didn't you have issues with her previously when the grandchildren were there?

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  6. Becky & Baby Girl GA

She became diabetic when they were living here. But they were here long before the diagnosis. They do make her nervous & she’s in the bedroom or outside away from them... might be her tummy/ pancreas... ? I don’t let them around her much, but my little 2yr old granddaughter just loves to pet her!

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Becky,

You're missing the AMPS and dose you gave yesterday morning as well as her numbers for this morning. Did you give 0.8 u in the AM yesterday and today?

My two cents: your BG data suggests that her dose has to go up. I'm basing it largely on the middle of cycle numbers. I'd try to get at least two tests today between +4 and +7 if you can. If you gave 0.8 u in the PM on 21 Feb, AM and PM yesterday and AM today you can give 0.8 u again tonight but go up to 1 u tomorrow AM. That's assuming she's eating OK. Keep up the ketone tests and keep your SS updated so we can check it before advising.

Re dose: you haven't reached her good dose range yet as shown by the level of the blues you have on your SS. You're still in the "find the good dose range" part of this go around. She went off insulin quickly the first time so you didn't have to get into all these finer points. There won't likely be one good dose that she can have week in and week out that will give ideal numbers. The dose that works best will drift up and down slightly over time. If you let her sit too long at a dose that's too low she can build up glucose toxicity and that'll reduce her responsiveness to the insulin.

I also suggest you post regularly on the ProZinc forum where we can help you stay on top of your dosing. Would that work for you? :)

8. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Thank you so much! Yes I’ll try to do a better job. Do you get that when a blind cat is afraid she runs into a wall!? Not fun. I also had her on a higher dose & you told me it was too high? So what is right? Do you remember that? Sorry but I am following your advice! I’ve been thinking about putting her down because her hiding & running from me constantly is not a quality life for her.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  9. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry to hear baby isn’t feeling well, hope she get to feeling better soon, yes this disease is terrible, I hate on it everyday and what is puts our baby’s through, keep us undated and my prayers go out to you

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

Not chastising you, Becky - just trying to be helpful. :)

11. Becky & Baby Girl GA

But you did tell me what dose to give; a little encouragement goes a long way. Sorry but I call it as I see it! Just be careful on your dosing instructions! You could harm someone’s precious kitty.

12. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Thank you for the kind positive words! :cat::bighug:

13. Kris & Teasel

I sincerely apologize if I offended you, Becky. I can’t always keep everyone’s details straight in my head. Are you referring to the no shot in the PM at the top of your spreadsheet? If so I probably suggested a drop in dose to prevent more no shots. That’s a little while ago now and you have more data on your SS. It’s that data I was looking at when I gave my opinion earlier today. What makes FD so tricky to treat is that it’s an ever changing situation so you have to look over trends in BG numbers and give more weight to more recent results.

The reason why I suggested you post on the ProZinc forum is that it’s smaller so your posts will be seen and there are people there who are knowledgeable about its dosing.

StephG and Sharon14 like this.
  14. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Thank you for apologizing- I wondered why I dropped the dose & now I need to raise it which wasn’t that long ago. I cannot test constantly as I have a scaredy cat child. I understand you need data to help but sometimes I’m just not going to get extra data (ecid) because she is so afraid of me now... or other obligations limit me. Babies ears do not bleed easily so it’s never a quick check. I feel like her ears are sore from me massaging! Lol it’s not a big problem for me but it is for her. But I now understand the low & now higher dose because she’s been pretty flat! I’ll up to .8 for awhile & watch her closely. Thanks again & forgive me my frustration please!

Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.
  15. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

This sugar dance is a frustrating thing!

16. Kris & Teasel

We all understand how hard this is, Becky.

Djamila likes this.
  17. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Becky - It would be great to see you over in the Prozinc forum. Insulin needs do change, and with Prozinc it can be trickier than with other insulin types to finesse the dose. Advice that was given a few days ago, doesn't usually apply for long with this insulin. We would love to help guide you through this, and support you with the difficulties and struggles along the way! Once you've had some help with it, it isn't difficult at all, but it sure can be for awhile!

I hope Baby feels better soon, and hugs to you! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

18. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Next time will be a prozinc forum question. :)
    Thank you Djamila. I just don’t see Baby being comfortable with all this testing. Maybe with time & repetition she’ll quit running from me!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Rachel and Djamila like this.
  19. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Time, repetition, treats, and love....and starting to feel better! It can take awhile, but they do begin to associate it with feeling better and become more willing. And those treats every time go a long way! My kitty hates testing, but he'll hop up on the counter anyway and wait for me when it's time because he so closely associates it with chin scratches, kisses, and salmon treats! Probably especially the salmon treats!

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  20. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I need to find a treat other then her temptations that she likes! I have 5 bags of treats & she could care less about them! She misses her temptations chicken!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.