Hi Everybody! Abby was DX'd 4/27. So glad I found you!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Abby, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abby

Abby New Member

I've been lurking around since she was diagnosed and just wanted to say hello and let you know how grateful I am for the wealth of information here and the lovely community! My vet was unenthusiastic about at-home testing with a human meter, but I just couldn't give my girl those shots without knowing what was going on. We have an appointment Monday and I'm anxious.

We're a multi-cat household and have modified everyone's food and feeding schedule. It's been rough, but I've come here and read other stories from people who are going through the same thing and it's helped. It's helped soooo much! Thank you!

As Abby's numbers have improved, she's fought me more at every BG test, meeping, crying, struggling to get away and flattening her ears. I test anyway. Tonight she refused her treat and stayed angry at me until I brushed her. Next test, she hardly fussed. I'm getting better at it, I guess.

Passing it forward.

Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Testing does get better with practice. :)

Abby likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome! It does get easier, or maybe our fur kids somehow realize we are helping. Hang in there. :cat:

5. Abby

Abby New Member

Thank you!

6. Abby

Abby New Member

I hope so! Thanks for the encouragement.

7. Abby

Abby New Member

Needed to hear that, thanks!

8. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Hi Abby and welcome. It does get better. I know the first time I started trying to check Candi's BG it was a nightmare. Then watching the video here on the board helped me learn how to do it better. Then with working with her we both learned a much easier way. One thing with her, she loves laying in your lap so that helped. My vet told me the same thing but I went by everyone's advice here and so glad I did because she didn't need insulin.

9. Abby

Abby New Member

Hello! Thank you! Candi must be an angel, if I tried holding my Abby girl on my lap we'd both end up needing the Neosporin afterwards. :joyful:

10. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

:rolleyes: I wouldn't really call her an angel but she is sweet. She just loves the attention and more like a Wiggle Worm. :cat:

Abby likes this.
  11. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

DH and I double team. Dad holds cat, mom pokes and gets the blood sample. Idjit is a big cat, not a lap cat at all, and doesn't think all this is necessary, he's resigned now, just wants his treat or food. ;)

Chrissy66 and Abby like this.
  12. Abby

Abby New Member

Aww, that's adorable! We took Abby in during the winter of 2008--she's really tiny, snub-nosed, apple-headed with a double coat. We think she may have belonged to a former neighbor, but she would come barreling at me desperate for attention whenever she saw me. Not joking, she could sit on the palm of my hand. She would come onto our deck at night while we were watching TV with the other kitties and look in the window and cry. Tried the note on the collar thing, no response. She smelled like chemicals or something, so I don't think they ever let her inside the house. It was so cold, she was dirty and hungry. And then something happened to her eye. The vet thinks another cat injured it. It's a little squinty and strange but it's not active.

I stole her. Remember how I said she was tiny? She was also pregnant.

Anyhow, she gave birth to five live kittens. I sat with the vet on speed-dial. For an undersized 5 or 6 month old cat, she was a great mom. We found homes for all of them except one because we thought he was probably deformed. He wasn't and by then it was too late. We took them both to be altered at the same time. That was fun. (NOT)

Holy cow! This got really long. I am so sorry! I was trying to say that even though she's a scant 7 pounds, she still acts like a street-kitty and though she can't even kill a moth her claws are really sharp and she has a bratty attitude.

13. Abby

Abby New Member

I love that you both work together on it!

I'm so glad Abby is small, because I usually don't have help. The better she feels, the more she fights. It's okay! I love her to bits, but she's an incorrigible brat. We had a vet visit today and she was upset with me afterwards, so she left a token poop on the bedroom floor. :facepalm:

Yeah, Dad totally helped me get her in the crate this morning, and even though he's not always around to help, he takes on other things so that I can focus on her.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Reason for edit: Forgot to tell Idjit's Mom how cool it was that Dad can help as well. Also, forgot to include Abby's Dad's contributions. <3
  14. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

When we was doing Candi's Sugar that is how my husband and I did. Mommie poked her and Daddy was there ready with the meter. LOL!!! Is there anything special that Abby loves you to do? What about getting up on your bed? Or a favorite spot. See Candi is and always will be a lap cat. Actually, if you let her she will sleep in your lap all day until you make her get up.

Abby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.