Hi everyone! I'm new here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teena, Jan 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teena

Teena New Member

Hello,

I just found this group. I have a diabetic cat named Cydnee and she has been diabetic for 2 years. I have a question. Can a cat be switched from Prozinc to Vetsulin? What would be the cons of doing so? Thank you

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Teena and Cyndee. Welcome to FDMB. I think it would be a good idea if you posted this question in the Main Health forum, so that more members can see and respond. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    It would be helpful if you could give us more information about Cyndee also. What kind of food is she getting? Why do you think it might be a good idea to change the insulin? Are you home testing so that you have data on how the Prozinc has been working for Cyndee? What dosage of Prozinc is Cyndee getting? Does Cyndee have any other health concerns or issues?

Teena likes this.
  3. Teena

Teena New Member

Thank you so much for responding Idjit's mom. Cydnee, as you can see in the picture, is a short haired domestic black cat. She's a rescue from the streets so I do not know exactly how old she is, but the vet thought around 12. I was told to switch her to soft food and that Fancy Feast pate is okay to use. I can not afford anything expensive as I have a few other kitties and am a disabled person on limited income. I can barely afford her insulin and needles. She was diagnosed a little over 2 years ago. She is overweight and has been since I found her. She lost weight when she first developed diabetes, that's how I discovered it. I do not test and did not even know I could until last week! The vet always told me I would have to bring her in to be tested. I am also diabetic so I found it odd that I couldn't test her like I test myself. I'm glad I now found this forum and will look for a meter to use for her. Cydnee receives 2.5 units of Prozinc twice daily. She has gained back the weight she lost when she was first diagnosed and the vet has said her diabetes is controlled by this dosage, however, she needs to have her blood tested again. I was asking about the Vetsulin because it is far cheaper than Prozinc. It is a real struggle to pay for her insulin and mine. I have forgone taking mine in order to buy hers before. In reading the forum there was a post that they are not even the same type of insulin so I thought I would ask. I don't always trust vets because the last one I took her to for her skin itching charged me $265 for a diagnosis and did not diagnose anything! She only told me to watch what she eats and where she sleeps in case she is allergic to something. WTH? Worthless vet. Still calls me to bring Cydnee back in for further testing, but never gave me a copy of the results from the other ones. Anyway, I thought I would ask here and see if anyone has had any experience in this. I love my chubby baby and will not switch unless it is safe for her and will consult the vet also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.