Hi everyone, just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KatieNH, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatieNH

KatieNH New Member

My normal weight, and otherwise healthy 8 year old little Morgan was diagnosed on Wednesday. We met with the Vet last night to be schooled on how to administer the insulin injections 2X/day. I'm too squeamish to be able to give it to give them to her, so my boyfriend will take care of it. I will, however, work on my fear so I too am able to take care of her and what she needs to live a happy, "healthy" life.

We were instructed to put her on a low carb diet and I'm wondering what others use for food.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to learning more about this disease.

2. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. What insulin has the vet prescribed Morgan and what dose?

Here is a handy chart that will aid you. It's important to aim for low carb wet/canned/raw food under 10%. Transition to low carb food slowly.

http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

A lot of "sugar" cats here lead very healthy, happy and long lives. Your Morgan is still very young and has many lives ahead of him.

Besides a low carb diet, it is very important to home test your kitty. You can check Morgan's glucose levels with a human or pet glucometer. I prefer a human glucometer (Walmart's Relion Micro or Confirm) because the strips are cheaper. Starting out, I suggest using a 26 or 28 lancet.

Here are some handy tips and videos on getting you started on home testing. The day I learned how to home test was the day I learned CJ was hypo (glucose levels dangerously low). I avoided a trip to the emergency vet (and an expensive bill) by home testing and getting guidance here.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/testing-and-shooting-tips.85113/

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Giving insulin does not hurt the cat. Neither does home testing (poking the ears).

When home testing/poking the ears, aim for the "sweet spot", the area between the vein and outer edge of the ear.

Just gently pull up an area at the nape or anywhere skin can be pulled up to give insulin. The injection doesn't hurt the cat. Home testing/poking doesn't hurt the cat either because cats have few nerve receptors in their ears, hence they don't feel pain. Get your kitty used to you touching her ears by massaging them. Reward with praises and low carb treats. Then graduate to poking with a lancet. CJ used to run from me but now she sits and waits to be poked!

Attached Files:

3. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

I was completely needle phobic. My hands would shake when I would draw the insulin into the syringe, I was able to steady my hands to give the injection. It took me an entire week to overcome this issue. When I began home testing, I tried the lance on myself first to see how bad it "hurt" to my surprise I felt nothing. This helped me a great deal. You will get used to it. It bothers you a lot more than it will Morgan.:cat: Hang in there Sugar Momma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.