Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mama Kitty's Mom

Mama Kitty's Mom New Member

Hi!
    I'm Tina, my kitty's name is Mama. Long story short, he was a sweet as honey stray that we were feeding outside about 10 years ago and we decided to take him in...we thought he was a she, hence "Mama," but he hasn't seemed to mind :) Mama was recently diagnosed with diabetes and we can't seem to get it under control! We are using Lantus and they had me up it from 1 unit, to 2 units, and today to 3 units!! He's loosing weight like crazy!! He drinks and urinates a ton!! He's begging for wet food a lot, and I'm feeding him to try to give him the amount they suggested, it's just that he wasn't eating it before so I was giving him a teaspoon to a tablespoon each time. I'm starting to wonder if there is something else wrong or if he's not responding to the insulin for some reason...a little back History, I have a 6 year old son who pretty much leaves Mama alone...in March we had a daughter, who is now 9 months old...in the summer we had my husbands family visit for 3 months with 3 kids!! I was in and out because my cousin was getting married out of state...I know they weren't watching their kids because my house was written all over among other things and the kids kept going after poor Mama when I was here and I spoke out about it on numerous occasions, but could stress have played a role in his diabetes?! I'm just wondering because I've heard that...I just don't know what to do at this point...I'm heart sick because Mama was/is my first baby and the thought of him being sick right now when I'm so busy with my kids is making my heart break even more!! I'm nervous he has cancer or something bc he's acting like he's in pain...that's what made me notice something was wrong in the first place, he looked like he was in pain and he stopped cleaning himself well...thanks in advance for any feedback!!
    Tina

2. Nan & Amber

Nan & Amber Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

Oh my, it sounds like you have had your hands full!!!! And poor Mama, who isn't feeling well.

To give a quick answer to your question: yes, stress can play a role in triggering high blood sugar in cats in the short term, but I'm not sure if it's what is going on now, since the stress has been removed and he's back to "his" normal house, unless, as you say, he has some other health issue going on. Two common pain-causing conditions that are associated with high blood sugars/diabetes in cats are dental issues and pancreatitis-- has Mama been checked for either?

There are lots of very experienced and knowledgable folks around here who can help get this figured out and (hopefully) start to get Mama feeling better! I suggest posting again in the Feline Health forum, where you'll get more people weighing in-- it's the best place to start for the kinds of concerns you have right now. If you could include a few more details-- date of diagnosis and when/how dose was increased, exactly how Mama is acting to make you think he's in pain (crying? sitting in "meatloaf" position? just lethargic?) in your post there, that will help people get a feel for what might be going on and what suggestions to make.

Welcome again, to you and extra-sweet Mama!

3. Bowie S. B. Otch

Bowie S. B. Otch Member

Poor Mama, I hope he's feeling better soon. Bowie is newly diagnosed also. We are still in the beginning stages. His levels were still high the first week, but we immediately saw an improvement in the drinking and peeing. however, they didn't start us that slow and went straight for 3U, upping it a week later to 4U. Hopefully, you will see results soon.

Mama Kitty's Mom likes this.
  4. Mama Kitty's Mom

Mama Kitty's Mom New Member

Thank you!! I hope we have success soon!! Mama is a big boy all around (I think he's part Norwegian forest cat or Maine coon) so he may just need a larger dose...time will tell!!

5. Bowie S. B. Otch

Bowie S. B. Otch Member

He is handsome boy, I love Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest Cats. My cat Maggie has the fur of one, but she's short and neurotic, not a cool cat.

Critter Mom and Mama Kitty's Mom like this.
  6. Andreea&Tilica

Andreea&Tilica Member

Hi to all! I'm a new member. My cat Tilica a male 13 years old was diagnosed with diabetes 3 months ago . I started with insulin Humalog mix 25 but didn't work, Mixtrad 30 too. From the late November I have used Lantus but still isnt'working, sometimes his BG higher values are >500 mg/dl . It's very strange that after the insulin shoot BG increases. For example today at 9 AM preshoot insulin BG was 344 mg/dl 2 hours later 328 mg/dl and after another 3 hours rosed up at 383!! In the meanwhile he eated 20 g Royal Diabetic.
    What cand I do? I need your advices , please.
    Andreea from Romania

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.