Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Caring4Claire, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caring4Claire

Caring4Claire Member

Hello FDMB!

Last month we adopted a 12 year old female kitty from a local shelter. She is beautiful, friendly, so affectionate, and has wonderful house manners. We have named her Claire :)

Regardless of being the sweetest baby in the whole shelter Miss Claire was passed over for 7 years because she, unfortunately is FIV+. Nearly two years ago she was diagnosed with diabetes. In a stressful environment and a shelter with too many cats and not enough humans, it was very difficult for them to properly care for her. Since diagnosis, she had been free fed a low carb dry food. She has not had her BG checked at all, she has just been given twice daily insulin injections. 1/2 unit of novolin with each meal. She is a little over 9 lbs.

Here she is with our 9 year old male cat Baloo. He is also FIV+ and has been our baby for 5 years. I have a special place in my heart for special needs cats because of him. Like Claire, he lived at the shelter for three years because of his FIV status. Insanity! He is a healthy, perfect boy always ready for a snuggle. Claire is the black kitty in the back. Aren't they beautiful! IMG_3278.JPG

I'm here to learn more about caring for her. I'm going to post in the health forum for advice. Thank you all for creating this wonderful support community!

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome and how wonderful that you have given Claire a loving home as well as giving Baloo a companion. They certainly look like a well matched pair.

The one thing that is very important in treating a kitty with FD is home testing, Since you will be posting on the main Health forum I won't go into details, but here is a link with information and tips on home testing.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Caring4Claire likes this.
  3. Caring4Claire

Caring4Claire Member

Thank you!

Yes I will be home testing. I've read relion available at Walmart is a good one. I also have a Costco membership if that's helpful, I haven't checked with their pharmacy yet. I will save the rest of my info for the health forum so I don't have to write everything in two places. Thanks for the link!

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome! That's awesome that you adopted two special needs kitties, they still need love too! :)

5. Caring4Claire

Caring4Claire Member

Yong - the certainly do! Even more so, I think. Claire is just "extra sweet" ;)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  6. jackie hill

jackie hill Member

Beautiful cats, I love the look on the grey cats face unsure what she/he is saying lol

7. Caring4Claire

Caring4Claire Member

Thank you! That's our Baloo boy! He has the best expressions. And he stands so regal-like. He had FIV when he was captured as part of a feral colony 8 years ago (can you imagine? Him as a feral cat?) He lived in a shelter for 3 years and his gums were really inflamed causing him to lose one of his upper lateral incisors (fangs). So his bottom tooth sort of pokes up in this silly grin all the time. It's so adorable! He's been ours for 5 years. Thankfully with a happy home and a little teeth brushing he's always had healthy teeth with us :)

8. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Both of our diabetic cats have lost an upper fang, so we are very familiar with that grin. We call it their "Elvis" face -- snarled up like he would do while singing :cool:

Welcome!

9. Caring4Claire

Caring4Claire Member

@Sandi & Whisper How interesting. Does diabetes cause oral issues?

Baloo is not diabetic, he had inflammatory stomatitis as a complication of FIV when he was in a high stress shelter environment. Because of the FIV status he had to be kept with feral cats who were also FIV positive, and he is such a sweet guy. His mouth was a wreck, he had lost several teeth and gums were bright red. After coming home with us 5 years ago he hasn't had any inflammation or lost any more teeth. He doesn't mind tooth brushing either ;)

The grin is so cute! I couldn't imagine him without it!

10. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

In my personal experience it is. I think that it is because diabetes makes them susceptible to all kinds of secondary infections, but there may even more to it than that. I am sure someone will jump in if so.

11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Might want to start a thread in the Main Health Forum to get more eyes on the question, Claire's mom :)

12. Caring4Claire

Caring4Claire Member

Thanks! I was just curious, but it does make sense. Claire seems to have excellent oral health and still has all of her teeth at 12. She has FIV and Diabetes. Baloo's oral issues are definitely linked to the FIV, but thankfully he hasn't had a single issue since coming home with us 5 years ago. We've been really fortunate with his health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.