Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SugarMar, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SugarMar

SugarMar New Member

Hi!

My name is Jen, my boyfriend Cameron and I have a recently (2-3 months ago) diagnosed 8 year old manx sugar kitty named Marley. She was acting very strange one day - wouldn't eat, drink, and was urinated on the ground..we rushed her to the vet and to our surprise they told us she has diabetes! The vet was new and not well versed (I know now, after hours and hours on this forum) and she really did not make us feel comfortable at all. Marley stayed at the vet 3 days before coming home, with a $2,000 vet bill and bottle of prozinc.

With the help of this forum (lurking, not posting) we learned that we need to switch to a low carb canned diet and do home testing. This of course seemed impossible at first but now we do it like pros every day. Her numbers were bouncing a lot on prozinc no matter what we were doing, so we recently (4 days ago) switched over to Lantus. We have been at 1.5u for 3 days now and have been testing whenever we are able to. We switched to the Relion micro meter finally (the alphatrak was draining our $$ fast) and her numbers have been high but are beginning to lower, and she has been acting very calm and happy the last couple of months.

I am SO grateful for all the wisdom from this board, I honestly do not know where I'd be without all this valuable information!! Thank you all, and I'm looking forward to getting in the conversations and being able to receive guidance from you amazing people :)

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jen, Cameron and Marley and welcome to FDMB.
    Sounds like you havegot yourself well sorted.
    I would recommend you set up a spreadsheet. Here is the link
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    After you have done that I would start posting on the Lantus forum because you are using Lantus and are sortedwith testing and food and the people there will be able to help you with the dosing. Here is the link
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/
    Bron

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Forget to mention about setting up a signature as well before you start posting on the Lantus forum.
    Just go to your user name in the top right of the page, click on it then click on signature. Have a look at what I and others have written in our signatures which are below our posts and do the relevant info for Marley. By doing that it lets the people who want to help you see at a glance all about Marley.

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Jen, Cameron and Marley. I felt the same way about finding this board and the opportunity to take good care of my sugar cat! I am so glad you are here, learning and taking the right steps to make sure Marley is safe and getting good treatment. Bron told you about the signature, spreadsheet and learning about Lantus. You can also post health questions and/or concerns in the Feline Health (Main Forum). Glad to meet you!:cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.