Hi everyone.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jerry dutchboy, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Firstly let me say a huge thank you for the fabulous information I've found here already. I've read many of the threads and it's helped me understand so much more and to calm down.
    I have two 16 ( almost 17) year old male cats, Ben and Jerry. They were rescue kittens we adopted while we lived in The Netherlands. Jerry was diagnosed with diabetes back in November.
    Deirdre.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Deirdre, Jerry and Ben too. How fascinating that you adopted cats in the Netherlands and brought them with you when you traveled (moved?) Where are you now?

I'm glad you have found information you can use here on the board to help with effective diabetic treatment for Jerry. I am very glad whatever you have gleaned so far has helped you calm and understand that feline diabetes is a manageable, treatable condition and that many many kitties continue to thrive, living long happy lives. Of course, with the assistance of very willing, loving human servants.

We would like to hear more about Jerry and what has happened so far on this new adventure. I usually ask new members to create a signature so that the kitty's information is available with each post. See the gray text beneath my message? That tells about my Idjit.
    Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.
    There is a two line limit to the signature, so you may want to brief information if there are other conditions/medications you need to include.

If you have been reading in the different forums, you have probably noticed there are quite a few on the menu. Many new members begin here in the Introduction forum, then start posting in the Feline Health (Main) Forum. More members monitor the Main forum to be of assistance to all members, and especially to new members, so you are likely to get more and quicker responses if you will post there going forward. We do not want your questions and concerns to go unanswered for very long.

I am looking forward to your and Jerry's story, hopefully a pic of Ben & Jerry, and we all will help you in anyway we can.

3. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Thank you. I'm actually from Dublin Ireland and moved to Holland where I lived for 30 years ( giving my age away here) met my American husband there. We moved back to Connecticut on his retirement in 2010 with our two little dutch boys Ben and Jerry.
    Jerry was diagnosed back in November I believe and its been a rollercoaster of a ride so far. He was on Vetsulin for a few months but recently changed to Lantus. Still trying to find a good dose for him but we struggle on. I'm lucky to have a fabulous vet here in town that only treats cats and they have been so fantastic with their support. So between the vet and this forum I will get there. Right now I'm montitoring a low BG so I'll be up for a few hours yet (it's 12:45 am here) but thats what we do for our furbabies. I did post to the Lantus thread regarding the spreadsheet and someone gave me the link and instructions on that and had the same request to set up the signature with Jerry's info. Time to test the BG again gotta go. Thank you again.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  4. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome! Wow, international kitties :) You will find a lot of support and good info here. Help for Jerry’s diabetes management and food tips to keep Ben from following the same path. Love the names:cat:

Jerry dutchboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.