Hi fellow cat parents!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meowchick, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meowchick

Meowchick Member

Hi everyone!
    I am new to this site but am a long time cat mommy. I have 5 beautiful fuzz balls as I affectionately call my family. This past Friday I learned one of the crew is diabetic and to say I freaked out is an understatement. I would have rather got it than him! Anyway I hope you guys will help me to avert the nervous breakdown that is coming on because of this diagnosis. I look forward to learning from you and being a part of this group that none of us wanted to find ourselves in.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

We understand how you are feeling right now. A diagnosis of FD is scary and overwhelming. But I want to assure you that it is something that is very manageable. BJ has already given you the basics.

A low carb high protein canned or raw diet can significantly lower your cat's glucose levels. All dry foods are high in carbs including the prescription foods your vet may try to sell you. Many of us feed our cats canned Friskies or Fancy Feast. Plus by changing all of your cats' diet to canned food, you reduce the chance of any of the other cats developing FD. The pate flavors are lower in carbs than anything that has gravy in it.

ProZinc, BCP PZI are pet insulins you will order through your vet's office. Lantus and Levemir are human insulins you will get through your pharmacy. If either one of these are prescribed ask for the prescriptions for the pens instead of vial. It will last longer. All of these work well in cats. With any of these you want to start at a low dose such as 1 - 2 units twice per day.

Hometesting is vital. You will test your cat's glucose before every shot. The reason is to make sure it is safe to give the dose. If the BG levels drop too low that can be very dangerous for your cat.

Patience and commitment. There will be days where everything does not go smoothly or you are not seeing what you expect. Don't worry, this is normal. If you have any questions or concerns post them in Health. That is what we are here for. We can help you learn the sugar dance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.