Hi from Baltimore

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jane Goodrick, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane Goodrick

Jane Goodrick New Member

Hi there. My 9 year old cat, Daisy, was diagnosed a few weeks ago. We've been giving her shots with little issue. She is currently at the vet getting her 2nd glucose curve. We plan on completing the next one at home but are more than a little worried about the whole thing. I know it will stress HER less which is all that matters.

I am sure I will be here often researching the answers to my many questions. Thanks!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Believe it or not, testing gets pretty easy. I would not have believed it the first few times I tested, but Mia now runs over and jumps up in her testing spot and sticks her little ear toward me for me to do the deed then she eats her treat. No stress at all.

Be sure to ask any questions you have over on the Main Health Forum. You will get lots of advice and support here.

DavesMom likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! After a few days testing at home is no big deal and takes all of 1 minute to do. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC. If you have any questions or need help just ask.

5. nmveasey

nmveasey Member

Hello and welcome!

6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

The most important part - and I know it is difficult - is for you to be calm and relaxed when testing. If you are tense, sweet Daisy will pick up on that. I used to talk to Whispy (out loud, like a crazy person) and tell him the story of how we found and adopted him when we first started testing. Or some sing as they test. It just gives your mind something else to focus on rather than being nervous.

Welcome to you both!
    Sandi&Whisper.

Sylvie likes this.
  7. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

Hi from southern MD area.
    welcome to this great forum that will have you being a pro at taking care of your diabetic cat in no times.
    no need to worry, you cat is use to being poke by now and IMO giving shots is harder than poking your cat's ear. just make sure you put a cotton pad/ball between your fingers and your cat's ear and you will be fine. also keeping lancet device cap off makes it so much easier to see were you are going to poke and the lancet pokes better too that way.

8. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

Sandi and Whisper's advice to sing while testing is the only thing that got me through it. I did my first successful test yesterday (after nearly having a panic attack over the weekend trying to do it). We put on some Christmas music, and I sang along to it while I tested, and that worked wonders for me. I definitely suggest Janet's video in her signature! I also put some rice in a sock and heated it up in the microwave for 15 seconds and put that on his ear first to warm the area. Someone on here advised me to have a special treat for him for after testing, and I found that to be a great idea. Good luck, and definitely let us know if you have questions! This is a fantastic forum you have found, so much support and knowledge in here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.