Hi! from Bitsy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bitsy, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitsy

Bitsy New Member

Hi everyone!! My girls name is Bitsy, she’s 13 years old and recently diagnosed with diabetes. Her doctor has put her on Lantus insulin, one unit for now.

Bitsy had diabetes back in 2012, so my memory is prettttty good as far as insulin injections go, so those are going ok-but I would like to start testing. I have a Alpha Trak 2, a box of lancets and a box of strips, so I want to get started.
    Is this all I need?

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome Miss Bitsy and pet parent. So glad you researched and found FDMB. Lots of info here to help you refresh your memory about feline diabetes and all that goes with the sugar dance. I'm sorry to hear that Bitsy has fallen out of remission but you are being proactive and taking good care of her.

If you would start a new thread in the Main Health forum HERE some links to testing videos and some tips will be provided. This Intro forum is essentially the welcome mat and not as heavily monitored as the Main Health forum. It would be nice to have more members get the opportunity to meet you and Bitsy, and help with suggestions for testing, diet, whatever you need.

Please set up the signature so we can see Bitsy's information when you post, this information can be edited or updated at any time there are changes:

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

We also use a spreadsheet to record the insulin shot and the testing data. This spreadsheet is linked right to the signature and is invaluable for pet parents, and advising members when or if the occasion arises.

Here are the instructions for setting up the spreadsheet and also a link on understanding the spreadsheet grid. You can look at other members' spreadsheets by clicking on the spreadsheet link in the signature to see what it looks like.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

If for any reason you are unable to set it up or have problems (using a cell phone or a tablet that doesn't support Google Docs and Sheets) we have members who can help or set it up for you.

Very best wishes going forward. :cat:

3. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, Bitsy and parent!

Glad you found us, we all look forward to helping you over in Main Health to get all of your questions answered. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.