Hi from Bree & Sushi

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bree4Sushi, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bree4Sushi

Bree4Sushi New Member

Hello all - I am the mom to a 12 year old tabby siamese (?) mix kitty that I adopted from my local animal shelter as a kitten. Sushi was diagnosed with Diabetes around 9 months ago. Before the diagnosis I was feeding her Blue Buffalo dry food with 1/4 - 5oz can of wet food 2xday. She is an anxious eater and finishes her food quickly so leaving food out filled has never been an option. After the diagnosis I switched to all wet food at 10% carbs or lower and initially was giving her 1unit lantus at each meal (2 meals 12 hrs apart). After 3 months she was showing signs of remission so the vet had me give her 1/2 unit 2xday. Then after a few more months she had me go to 1/2 unit 1xday. I have not made it back to the vet in over 3 months now due to traveling to care for my sick mother. I stopped her insulin injections roughly 2 months ago as she seemed to be doing better. I purchased a blood glucose machine before taking her off the insulin and her bg was roughly 80 3 days in a row before stopping the insulin.

She is now with me at my brothers house (staying with him for 3 months to take care of mom) and is showing signs of high bg again. She is cranky, drinking more water than usual and her eyes are hurting her (long, what looks like painful winks/shutting mostly her left eye sometimes both). I purchased another meter and took her bs before feeding her and she was at 220. All of my lantus insulin is in my apt 400 miles away, so I have been using my mothers lantus pen. Before I was using vial and needle. I am giving her 1 unit as that is as low as the insulin pen can go. I am on day 4 of 2x10% carb wet food and 1 unit lantus from pen and am not seeing any change... she still drinks tons of water, seems cranky and winks.

I am going to purchase ketone urine strips and hopefully have time to get a full bg curve (test bg every 2 hours for a day).

What should my next move be?

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Bree and Sushi, welcome to the board. I'm so sorry that things are not going well for you and Sushi. But I am confident you are going to get advice and input you need here. Many members will respond, so don't get overwhelmed. I suggest you copy your original message here, go to the the Lantus forum, start a new thread there and paste the message. --->> HERE and get some input from our most knowledgeable and experienced members. Read the info in the yellow tagged threads at the top of the Lantus forum.
    Do a signature so that pertinent info is available ---> SIGNATURE
    And a spreadsheet with all available data will help them see what is oing on ---> SPREADSHEET
    Cheers to you for having the presence of mind to be testing, and for searching for advice. Wishing you the best on a way forward to getting Sushi feeling better and healthier.

Bree4Sushi likes this.
  3. Bree4Sushi

Bree4Sushi New Member

Thank you so much for the info and the kindness!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.