Hi from Chris and Junior

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by christine_66, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christine_66

christine_66 New Member

My cat Junior was diagnose a few months ago and we have not been able to regulate his blood sugar. He is approx 12 yrs old FIV+and FELV+. The vet has tried three different insulins, the last one being Lantus 2.5 units twice daily and so far the lowest his blood sugar has gotten is 18mmol/L (metric as i'm in Canada). I have switched him to low carb wetfood (Friskies and Fancy feast) all under 10% carb. The vet recommended feeding him only when i gave him insulin but he lost too much weight. He fell almost to 9lbs and he's a big cat!, so we decided to free feed him and he's gained 1.5 lbs so far but he's still soo skinny. The vet informed me he is not sure what else to do to get Juniors blood sugar under control, he says uping the dosage won't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?, should I up the dosage myself to see if it' helps?. I also do curves at least every weekend.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome Christine and Junior. This is a wonderful place to find the information you need and get some advice.
    First, I would suggest that you create a signature so that Junior's pertinent information is available with each of your posts. It saves time repeatedly asking for/supplying the same info. Here is a link on how to to do that: SIGNATURE
    Please be sure to list Junior's other conditions and meds he may be on, plus that you are in Canada with a general geographic location so we can determine what time it is, where you are. That helps a great deal sometimes when someone is reading the spreadsheet to assist with dosing advise, etc.
    Second, I am hoping you are home testing. If you aren't we can help with that. We have a spreadsheet that we use to track the insulin doses & times, as well as the blood sugar levels at which time in the cycles. Members here are data driven and will not be able to advise as well without this info. Here is a link on how to do that: SPREADSHEET The spreadsheet has both US and World tabs so you don't have to figure out any math adjustments recording Junior's BGs.
    Next, post in the Main forum with your questions and concerns. HERE
    This Intro forum is the Welcome mat, and not generally used to give advice. There are more eyes on the Main forum so you will get more input.
    I look forward to getting to know more about Junior and you, and I sincerely hope that you will find the answers you need here. :cat:

3. christine_66

christine_66 New Member

Thank you Idjit's mom...I updated and linked the spreedsheet for Juniors curves and random tests. I hope i did it correctly :)

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Chris, I see the spreadsheet, the only thing I don't see is the other tab for US values. Hopefully someone with expertise will be able to help with that function. Poor little Junior with all the high values though. :(
    Please do post in the Main Health forum to get some eyes on this..and visit the Lantus forum also. Read the yellow tagged information at the top of the forum and post there also. Many experienced and knowledgeable Lantus users monitor that forum and may be able to help also.

5. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Welcome, fellow Canadian :)

6. christine_66

christine_66 New Member

Thank you Majandra!. are you East or West coast?

7. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Waving to you from central Ontario.

8. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

west-central

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.