Hi from Lupan

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by annya12345, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annya12345

annya12345 New Member

Hello
    I just got a sad news that my 14 year old Maine coon baby have diabetes. I have a vet appointment in three days, but needed to do as much research for myself as possible.
    One of the question I have is since my cat is actually underweight, is there anything I could do to improve his weight? He's been on can food for most of his life, so is there anything else I can do before my appointment?

[​IMG]

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

Since you're not using insulin yet, making a food change to low carb canned food, fed in several smaller meals, rather than just 2 big ones, will help him digest what he is eating, and put weight back on.
    Inexpensive options are Friskies Pates and Fancy Feast Classic pates. Anything with gravy in the name, or corn, wheat, rice, peas, beans, tapioca, carrots, or fruits in the label, especially if near the beginning of the list, is potentially suspect.

Have a look at the food list posted on Cat Info in the right hand column.

3. annya12345

annya12345 New Member

Thank you for the tip. My kitty does like the Gravy lover canned food. I just need to change it for now, until the vet visit.

4. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. Highly recommend doing all the research you can and go into your vet appt with knowledge. It will save you a lot of money. Everything from the type of insulin to try, food, home testing etc.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

By the way - there is nothing 'prescription' in the so called diabetic prescription food. Over the counter, low carb canned, works just fine, for much lower cost with similar, if not better, contents in the can. The carbohydrate content of most dry food, even the so called prescription diabetic foods, is in the 30-40% calories from carbohydrate.

6. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome! What is your handsome boys name?

7. annya12345

annya12345 New Member

Thank you guys for your warm welcomes. I found some great information already and just knowing that other people already went through this gives me hope. I feel a lot more prepared for my vet appointment.
    My kitty name is Lupan. I also have 10 year old mini panther named Crow. Crow is short hair black cat.
    Thanks again for this amazing forum.

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
  8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Come on over to Feline Health to start posting questions and seeing what other folks are doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.