Hi from Maxwell and mama Lori

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MaxwellSilverhammer, Aug 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxwellSilverhammer

MaxwellSilverhammer New Member

I am so happy to find this page. Maxwell was diagnosed a few months ago with diabetes and we are still working on leveling out his glucose. It's nice to read what others have done and it is already giving me hope on getting this under control, hopefully soon. I found Maxwell as an orphaned feral kitten and he has been with me for 10 years now. He unfortunately has a few different medical issues, so adding diabetes to the list is a heavy hit. But I am looking forward to all the advice and being part of a community to get us through this. Thanks for having us!

Attached Files:

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Welcome to you and Maxwell! Sounds just like me and my girl, I got her 9 years ago as a “free”, hissy little feral kitten and she has more than made up for that with her plethora of medical issues lol. But we love them, so what can ya do! :rolleyes: Don’t hesitate to post with any questions you have!

MaxwellSilverhammer likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Lori and Maxwell. Hopefully the information, advice and input from our members and the support you will find here will enable you to help Maxwell to diabetic regulation.

In order for us to help you along the way please create a signature so that Max's information will show up whenever you post:
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what he eats/any other meds or health issues he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Are you testing his blood sugar at home so you know how insulin is helping him, and to be sure it's safe to inject each time? If you are not, we can help you find supplies and learn to test. If you are testing already, good for you! and we can give you the instructions to set up the spreadsheet we use here to record insulin and testing data.

Going forward, please post in the Main Health forum HERE so that your questions and concerns will be read in a forum that more members check often in order to be of assistance. Then we can provide appropriate links and information to help you out.

4. MaxwellSilverhammer

Thank you so much! Nice to know I'm not alone. <3

5. MaxwellSilverhammer

Thank you so much! I have created the signature. I just started home testing today thanks to your forum! I've only done it once so far, but will do it again tonight before dinner. A spreadsheet is a great idea!

(GA) Gypsy's Parent likes this.
  6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Testing! That's fantastic and here are the spreadsheet instructions as well as a link to understanding the spreadsheet grid:

FDMB Spreadsheet Instructions:
    • Please set up a Google Spreadsheet as soon as possible. Always keep spreadsheets up-to-date! Valuable time may be lost looking for information when a spreadsheet is not up to the minute.
    • If you have not been able to transition your kitty off of DRY food yet, please note it on your spreadsheet and in your signature. A dry food diet will often require higher doses of insulin to bring numbers down. Having this information plainly visible will help us help you.
    Understanding the Spreadsheet/Grid

Since Maxwell is on Lantus, the Lantus forum is a treasure trove of information. I suspect you have visited that forum, but there is a lot of info and everytime I delve in again, I glean a little more.

Please let us know what Maxwell eats, I realize that he has GI tract issues and perhaps other members can offer some input from their experience.

7. MaxwellSilverhammer

I was just about to delve into the Lanus forum! And will do! Thanks again!

8. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Welcome Lori and handsome Maxwell. Will see you around the Lantus board. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.