Hi from Minneapolis MN

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by joy3325, Nov 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joy3325

joy3325 New Member

I just learned of this site from the support group on Facebook. My name is Joyce and I just received the bad news yesterday my Sam has Diabetes. I already have gotten some great feedback from that group to help calm my nerves. but still a little nervous and worried. I will be starting Sam on insulin Saturday when I go to the vet so they can show me how and new diet along with his sister so they eat the same and not have to worry about him eating her food. She is non-diabetic. I am already perusing this site and found some great info and am glad this is a great supportive network to help me get through this.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be. We can help.
    Come over to the Health Forum and tell us more. And ask questions. We like questions.

3. Sylvia Sheaffer

Sylvia Sheaffer Member

Are you a Vikings Fan? I am and have been all my life, and I live in PA. LOL

4. joy3325

joy3325 New Member

I think he was in the 500.
    Honestly, I don't recall all the numbers, When they called me yesterday to give me the results of his blood work, my mind was all over the place, everything she was saying was going over my head due to me just focusing on the news. I do recall the number 500 I believe. We were hoping he would be pre-diabetic based on the initial bloodwork which he was at 300 but we did an additional test that broke down levels or whatever it was to get a definitive answer and unfortunately it came back as diabetic so he has to do insulin. She wants me to also put him on Royal Canin prescription but everyone in the support group said no way, just start feeding him wet lo carb food, thankfully he loves Wreuva kitty gone wild salmon so I can up his feeding on that and just bought some other flavors to see if he will eat those too. I have a non diabetic cat too ( his sister) I am going to also just feed wet food and remove all the old dry kibble tonight and see how it goes over the next couple days. The vet prescribed 2 units of Lancet but I got feedback from the FB group to request 1 to start, as you said, we can always go up. Needless to say, I will be coming armed with info when i bring him in Saturday to learn how to do the shots so won't be doing what she would like me to do. These groups have been a godsend to get me through this. I am very nervous and worried but hope I can get him to remission.

5. joy3325

joy3325 New Member

Abosulutely a Vikings fan. Bleed Purple. I hope they come to play Monday night and win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.