Hi from myself and Tutzie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Micheeme, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micheeme

Micheeme New Member

Hello new here just found out yesterday my 13 year old Tutzie has diabetes and we have started insulin therapy!!! I find it quite easy to give her shot and check her blood as myself I have been type1 diabetic for 33 years now!!! Glad to have found you all :)
    Michelle

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    4 things go into managing your cat's diabetes
    1) You - without you, none of the rest works
    2) insulin - we recommend Lantus, ProZinc, Levemir, and BCP PZI as insulins which last roughly 12 hours in the cat. Anything else tends to last less than 12 hours, leaving the glucose uncontrolled after the insulin has worn off.
    3) low carb food - see Cat Info for more feline nutrition from a vet
    4) home monitoring using an inexpensive human glucometer - my signature link Glucometer Notes explains more about them and my link Secondary Monitoring Tools provides other assessments you may wish to make in monitoring her health.

3. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle and tutzie welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have a head start, most of us arrive here in a complete panic.

May I ask that you edit your signature so that it includes the food you are feeding tutzie and the insulin and any other conditions or medication that she has.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Michelle and Tutzie, and a very warm welcome to FDMB :bighug:

It sounds like Tutzie is in extremely good hands with you as her care-giver. That is one lucky kitty. :)
    If you have any questions, DO ask. (The main Health forum is the best place as you'll get the most responses).

This is a friendly place and I'm sure you'll feel at home here in no time at all. :coffee:

Best wishes,

Eliz

5. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Welcome Michelle and Tutzie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.