Hi From South Australia - Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bron, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bron

Bron Member

Hi everyone - Bron here in Australia - my 7 year old Quiz was diagnosed on Friday after a major hypo, this was just a week after our other 7 year old cat Billy had his leg amputated after being backed over by a car. Cat enclosure being built now, but both are going a bit crazy being cooped up!

Anyway, both are doing well and Quiz is at the vet today being monitored for the first time. I have to say this forum is a bit of a lifesaver! Like so many others I went into panic mode on Friday, especially with a new tripod needing caring as well. But when I realised the high number of 'normal' food that diabetic cats can eat, I was thrilled. The vet sent us home with the Hills Diet MD one which didn't thrill Quiz or me! Many of the ok brands - they already eat and enjoy. Problem is, a lot of the ones mentioned here aren't available in Australia. I'm looking for treats for Quiz now - not having a lot of luck, but will head to the correct forum to ask for advice on that.

Thanks for having us - and all the best to everyone!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Bron and Quiz. I wrote in your post on the main health forum.
    You will get lots of great help and information here. Read all the yellow stickies at the top of the pages, they are full of info.
    You don't need to give the Hills MD canned food and definitely don't use the dry...it is too high in carbs, all the vets love it as it is marketed as a prescription food but it is no better than brands you can buy at the supermarket or Petbarn and is more expensive.

This is a ready good link to many important topics about FD and will give you lots of info.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/where-can-i-find-________.127890/

Post over on the main health forum next time where there are more eyes.
    Welcome :bighug::)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome Bron and Quiz!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! So sorry to hear about all your kitty troubles! Thank goodness the one hot by the car wasn't killed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.