Hi from Teal'c. I was just diagnosed yesterday

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patty & Teal'c, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

We got the cats treats a couple months ago. Teal'c went crazy for them. He was always in the kitchen asking for them. We then noticed he was starting to lose weight, thought it was because he was obsessed with the treats. Stopped the treats. He continued to lose weight. Also I noticed the litter box had became real hard to handle (self cleaning but couldn't keep up). It became bad 2 weeks ago where I was cleaning a self cleaning litter box twice a day. We decided Teal'c needed to go to the vet that what was wrong was more then an obsession with treats. Made the appointment. Of course they couldn't get us in right away.

The day came and we go to the vet. He does a blood work up on Teal'c and we find out he has diabetes.
    I feel bad I've been a free feeder, only dry food Nutro Essentials adult indoor. Now in my mind I might have been part of the cause.

The vet didn't want to do anything for him till monday. He told me to get him on a twice a day feeding schedule during the weekend. They will do his glucose rundown on monday. Then I guess we go from there. Teal'c is 13 years old he was a bit over weight at 20 lbs. I'm so scared and nervous but the vet said they will teach me how to take care of Teal'c and his diabetes. Sorry so long. He is the dark one in the picture.

Attached Files:

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Come on over to the Feline Health forum and we'll get you prepped for that first vet visit. Did the vet happen to mention which type of insulin you'll likely use? Twice a day feeding is not ideal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.