Hi, guys! (FOOD ADVICE)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Giomax, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Giomax

Giomax Member

Long time no see! Hope everyone is doing well. I was away out of state for the past 5 days so Max was with a sitter. She gave him his insulin and his medicines but couldn't get the hang of the blood testing, so I don't have data for that.

Poor Max is still...well, poor Max. He eats well but is getting thinner. The sitter said he did well at her house but he seems to be yeowling a lot since we got back home. I wonder if he's maybe constipated again? It's too soon for me to tell just yet as we just got home today.

Please keep us in your thoughts!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Maybe he's just yeowling because he's so happy to see you. I hope that's it! :cat:

3. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Are you going to be doing a curve soon? A new dose might need to be considered. :)

Giomax likes this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah! Happy to see you back on the forum! Sorry to hear Max isn't doing much better these days...it's challenging to work and take care of these sugar babies - you have my sympathies for that! Hang in there and do the best you can...he loves you for it :) Take care! Happy Easter!

Giomax likes this.
  5. Giomax

Giomax Member

I'm not sure he loves me for the shots. :D

Had another scare with Max today. He just seems to be getting worse...his walking is worse, his spine is more prominent. We're testing for kidney issues right now and the vet just sent out another full blood panel to see what the rest of his body is doing. Vet gave IV fluids earlier to go along with kidney testing.

I've started Zobaline again (6mg a day) because I don't think the B12 injection once a week is enough. Upped to 5.5 units insulin...his BG seems to be stabilizing on the lower side after that fur shot the other day. Pre-shot today was in the very low 300s.

Can someone please help me out with food advice? Vet says the IBD is what's causing Max to lose weight...which could very well be. Thickened intestines have a harder time absorbing nutrients. Max still eats, but not quite as well as he used to. He really loves the gravy foods, which I know is terrible for BG levels. What can I feed him that tastes good like gravy foods but won't compromise his BG so much? I need him to eat and put on some more weight. Him eating well is very important right now.

I need suggestions for something grain-free and gravy...but lower carb gravy? If that makes sense.

6. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

The Fancy Feast Flaked/Roasted/Chunky varieties are in a gravy-like sauce but run only 4-6% carbs.

Also in a sauce are Weruva Chicken Frick 'A Zee (2%, shredded meat), Mack & Jack (0%, seafood chunks), Meow Luau (3%, seafood chunks plus pumpkin).

Just some possibilities I happen to be acquainted with.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Giomax likes this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You might want to take a look at this website -- Raw Feeding for IBD Cats. Regardless of whether you opt to put your cat on a raw food diet, there's excellent information about IBD, including on the use of supplements.

Giomax likes this.