Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgans and Eegie - GA

Sgans and Eegie - GA Member

I'm new to all this, and am SO grateful to have found this resource! My Eegie is between 14.5 and maybe 18-19 years old, and about 11 lbs (varying based on fluid retention). He's overweight, and I'd prefer for him to be more like 10lbs. For a little more than the past year, he's been fighting IBD, pancreatic imbalance, liver imbalance, UTI's and cystitis - and doing it bravely and with dignity. We've found a balance in him for all his supplements and meds, and his IBD is mostly under control (it's very changeable, but KNOCK WOOD, he's doing well). Then - we find a tumor in his lungs. It's reasonably aggressive, but the oncologist tells us the prognosis is 8-12 months with successful treatment (which entails about 5 months of various chemo and $7K). We're not rich, and not sure if treatment's the path we want to take with him... but we do want him to be as well as possible until whatever happens... happens.

His blood glucose was normal in August 2014, and high (330) on January 31st, 2015. The vet attributed it to stress (from all the treatments, and the IBD being bad at the time and other problems). In March, we tested again a little over 400 - his urine showed a little sugar, but the fructosamine level was normal. It wasn't until a few weeks ago, that the urine and blood showed 414, with continuing normal (high normal now) fructosamine. Everybody finally determined it was truly diabetes (I wish I'd known the symptoms - I'd have recognized it sooner - the need to drink water had been attributed to his meds (one of which is a diuretic), but I never knew about the neuropathy, which I've been seeing for about 2 months.

Today was my first test/insulin injection. His glucose was 440 this morning.

Not sure what else I should be putting here - but that's me and my introduction. Thanks for having me and Eegie here....

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as Friskies pates. see Cat Info for more info,
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!)

Sgans and Eegie - GA likes this.
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello to you and Eegie, and welcome to FDMB

Gosh, it sounds like Eegie has had a lot going on there, poor love; but he is really blessed in having you as his friend and caregiver :bighug:

This is a very friendly forum, and I'm sure you'll soon feel at home here. :coffee:
    Ask any questions you want to, we're here to help. :)

Best wishes,

Eliz

Sgans and Eegie - GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.