hi i am new hope to be able to work out the forum have 4 cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cat, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat

cat New Member

hi everyone hope you are all ok
    I have 4 cats 2 diabetic and 1 on palatine care
    my name is cat
    I have had cats all my life
    so had to deal with most problems
    I am ill I have a nurolical disease of the brain, please excuse spelling and grammar its the disease that affects it

I have 2 diabetic cats one is 4 years now he is 8 years old ((((((( AND EVEN TO THIS DAY HAVE NEVER REALEY GOT MY HEAD ROUND DIBEATS IN CATS))))))))))))))))))))))))
    and my little girl was diagnosed in January 15
    she is 11 years old and is poorly
    now vet wants to do tests , and x-rays on her she is so thin never stops wonting food every time I put incerlin up she has a hypo
    vet is thinking maybe
    hyperthyroid and or heart problems because her hart rate is fast and breathing fast
    poor Sophie brakes her heart every time I have to take her.
    I have worked at a vets for 7 years before I became ill
    BUT THAT HAS NOT BEEN ANY USE TO ME, ITS JUST MAKES IT HARDER FOR ME
    I KNOW WHAT I WOULD TELL OWNERS I WOULD SAY DO IT
    anyway I have so much to ask but think I had better tell you another day
    because I am new
    and beside my self with worry .the vet wants to know by Monday
    thank you for being there for me
    if at any time I can help just ask
    but of cause it can never replace you cat seeing a vet
    thanks
    cat
    PS if I have posted in wrong place, please let me know
    thanks cat

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

3. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Cat and welcome.

You may want to do a few things so we can help you. There are very experienced people here who can assist.

Let me see if I have this right. You have 4 cats total, 2 are diabetic

One guy who is 8 (diagnosed 4 years ago)
    Sophie, who is 11 and was diagnosed this past January but doesn't seem to be getting better.

You are asking for help for Sophie, who is very thin, always wants food but goes hypo every time you give her insulin. Do I have that right?

Can you please tell us:

1. What kind of insulin you are giving her?
    2. How much do you give?
    3. What food are you feeding her?

That will give us a start. Please, also tell us if there is anything we can do in our posts that will assist you because I do not know what neurological disease you have but want to make sure we communicate the best way possible for you.

You may want to post a new thread in Health, which you can get to by clicking HERE

Thanks!

nora likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Cat,

I see you've already had some good basic advice, but I just wanted to add a few :bighug::bighug::bighug:.

We've all been through the worry you're experiencing. We'll do all we can to help. :)

nora likes this.
  5. cat

cat New Member

hi every one I must apologise for not responding before now so this is just a reply to all and thanks for advice
    I have fibromyalgia and myalgic encephalomyelitis / Barrett's oesophagus disease etc.
    well that is enough about me this is why I have such problems
    I cant do reply tonight brain wont work
    I hope to get back on to forum, after next Wednesday
    I am trying to get very low carb food for my guys bet vet not agree to wet food or raw
    still wants me to feed dry R/C DIABITIC// HILLS METABOLIC ETC
    I will give lots more info about all my darling cats
    thanks to all speak soon
    love and light cat

Squalliesmom and Jeanne like this.
  6. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Good for you trying to get low carb, wet food. The food that vet's issue does not have the lowest amount of carbs that you kitty needs. The list of low carb food can be found at this website; www.catinfo.org

If you need assistance in selecting a few from this list for you to try, please let us know. Are you testing for you two diabetic cats? What kind of insulin are you using? What kind of meter are you using?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. nora

nora Member

New here, so I have no answers for you, but wanted to say hi and I'll be adding you and your "pride" to my good thoughts. As when I discovered my 12-year-old boy has chronic kidney disease earlier this year, and now his litter-mate Kali has diabetes, food/diet is an issue that is driving me mad with all the conflicting information and the reality of what foods I can obtain and that each individual cat (I have one more who so far "only" obese) will eat. Wishing you all good luck in getting good info and your food of choice for your kitty. --Nora and Kali

8. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Cat,

Hope you are feeling better - sounds like you have a lot to manage!

I know it is hard to go against your vet but hopefully he/she can be open-minded. I have an article here:

https://www.aaha.org/professional/resources/diabetes_management.aspx#gsc.tab=0

that you can send to your vet that talks about low carb diets (which the dry foods are not) - this is from a veterinary source so your vet might change his/her mind.

Are you okay with managing multiple feedings of wet food? I know you have to balance out your needs with all your cats and do what works best for all of you.

Hope you can be back next week!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.