Hi I am new

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kristie alcorn, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

We just found out yesterday that my 10 year old cat has diabetes. They want us to give her Vetsulin twice a day. She has been eating wet food for about a year now but I'm not sure it is the correct food for her. I want her to eat the correct food and she is over weight. She has lost a pound but they would like for her to loose a pound in half or two pounds more. She is strictly an indoor cat. So any help would be so helpful right now. And are their cheaper places to buy her insulin & syringes from other than her vet?
    Thank you in advance Kristie

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome, Kristie! This is the best place for help, advice and support. If you repost on the main health forum, more people will see your message. Additional info that would be helpful so you don't have to answer the same questions repeatedly:
    • dose of insulin that was prescribed
    • whether you've started insulin or not
    • whether you'll be testing blood glucose at home
    • if so, what glucose meter you have
    • what your vet told you about home testing, how long to hold an insulin dose, etc.
    • any other meds and/or health issues your kitty has.
    Please tell us your kitty's name too. :)

3. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Kristie! I am pretty new too and I am sure more experienced folks will chime in. Make sure wet food is low carb. I get my syringes at the Walmart pharmacy & insulin at Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada. This all can be overwhelming at first, but the learning curve is quick thanks to the great folks on this board. First thing everybody will tell you is to get a Blood Glucose (BG) meter & do testing at home. I use a ReliOn meter available at Walmart, price is right and strips aren't expensive.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

Her name is Gracie. She is to take 1 unit every 12 hours. We have not given her a dose yet. I plan on starting tomorrow. The vet wants us to try this for 2weeks then I have to bring her back in after her morning shot and they will draw blood all day to see how she is doing on it. She is not on any other medicine. They said she is at the very beginning stage. They found a little sugar in her iron yesterday.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Kristie, welcome to you and Gracie. One of the best things you can do for Gracie is learn how to home test her blood glucose. It's easy to do and we will be glad to walk you through the process. Testing Gracie is really the only way to know how well the insulin is working and help prevent a hypoglycemic episode. Here's some info to help you get started, check it out and come over to the Main Health Forum with any concerns or questions
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.