Hi I'm Bluesmave

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bluesmaven, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluesmaven

Bluesmaven Member

My name is Sherill and I live in TX. My cat Reger has all the signs of diabetes. I have an appt today at 3:30. Reger is an 11 year old Maine Coon who has been on Hills Science Diet C/D for 9 years or so. I got him as a kitten after my husband died and I needed a reason to laugh again. He has brought me so much joy, I owe it to him to do all I can for him.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,

I hope your vet visit goes well. If you have any questions after, please come back and post on the main forum. In the meantime you can take a look into each forum and see some informational "stickies" with information for you.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

We can make you laugh again. Diabetes, if that's what it is, is not the end. Just think of it as an adventure with a lot of snap quizzes. Welcome.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome!! :bighug::bighug:

Feline diabetes will change your daily routine somewhat but it is certainly treatable. This is a place where we can vent, cry and laugh and share our experiences, both good and bad...and everyone totally understands.

Good luck with the vet visit and please do post when you get the results.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Amanda and a Loudogg likes this.
  6. Bluesmaven

Bluesmaven Member

Thanks y'all for making me feel so welcome. Vet said Regers urine was pretty diluted so diabetes is possible. Gotta hurry-up-&-wait now, 24-48 hours for results. He had no fever but he only weighed 14 pounds which is down 3 pounds from normal.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

They didn't do a blood glucose test?

8. Bluesmaven

Bluesmaven Member

no I expect that will be covered in the bloodwork. I don't know why they didn't do it in the office.

9. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Sherill and handsome Regers :cat:

10. Bluesmaven

Bluesmaven Member

Well Reger does have FD. Vet told me to feed him science diet m/d and I bought a bag of dry as well as cans. I am investigating all the info here and probably will change the food after I learn more, this is so daunting. I don't think Reger is overweight at 17 pounds since he's a Maine Coon. Now he weighs 14 pounds so I don't like that the M/D says weight management on it. Ugh! Thanks for your help!

11. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Check out catinfo.org for food suggestions. Anything under 10% carb..I try to stay at the 4-5% carb. If you do the food switch to low carb wet (fancy feast works!) you may want to try that for a week or two with some home testing and see if you are one of the lucky ones that can do this food controlled vs. using insulin.

12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Dm is 14% carb.... Youre better off with low carb wet food. Most of us feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods.

Did you start insulin today?

13. Bluesmaven

Bluesmaven Member

No, vet wanted him on the food first for 10 days I think then we see if he needs shots. So far he likes the wet food so I am removing the dry.

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.