Hi, I'm new here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rhonda T, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhonda T

Rhonda T Member

My 12 (?) year old Oreo was just diagnosed yesterday. Glucose was 561. I switched him to canned food last night along with two units of Vetsulin 2x/day. I took him to a clinic today for another glucose test and he was at 440. My vet made it sound like he'll be insulin dependent the rest of his life. I surprisingly have no problems giving him the injections but when I go back to work in the spring I'm gone for more than 12 hours at a time almost every day Monday thru Friday. I'm terrified as to what could happen if this can't be regulated by diet alone.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome, Rhonda and Oreo! There's no way the vet can be sure he will be insulin dependent the rest of his life. Lots of cats go into remission. Be sure to post any questions you have on the Main Health Forum.

Rhonda T likes this.
  3. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome! Oreo looks very distinguished :)

Home testing is far more practical than going back to the vet for a glucose test. I can test Whisper at home in less than the time that it takes me to just get him into a carrier, ignoring the time that it takes me to get him there and back, not even mentioning the expense savings. And the numbers are more accurate at home as well. If you have no problems with injections, then blood testing should be a piece of cake.

I wouldn't worry about the spring just yet, one thing at a time. We've got plenty of members with varying schedules, and just as many tips for how to handle it, so we'll get there when it's time. For now, let's just get Oreo on a solid footing and take advantage of the time while you have it.

Good (relatively speaking) to have you here!
    Sandi.

Rhonda T likes this.
  4. Rhonda T

Rhonda T Member

Thank you Sandi! I tried testing at home today after getting lots of advice and watching numerous YouTube videos but it just didn't work for us. I might try again tomorrow. I'm determined that we will get him off the insulin eventually. I'm in contact with a holistic vet and energy healers.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Testing at home will give you the best chance for getting him into remission. It takes about 10 days of daily testing for new capillaries to grow which will make it much easiest to get a sample. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC.

6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Yep, just keep giving it a try.

We've had some cooler mornings here lately, so I just started having to get out our rice sock (we don't usually need it during the summer because we have so many capillaries) and warming it in the microwave to warm Whispy's ear. Don't underestimate how important it is to warm the ear first this time of year either.

Best of luck!
    Sandi.

Rhonda T likes this.
  7. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I am new too so cannot really help but did wish to say Hi.

Rhonda T likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.