hi i'm new here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by catgirlinthesun, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

I just learned my 14-yr-old black cat is diabetic. I am here because it is said to be the best forum on the internet for diabetic feline owners. I am 44, live in Las Vegas, and am female. My cat's name is Woo. She is the love of my life. She has only just started her journey toward wellness---she has been on insulin shots (Lantus) for less than a week. Wish us well, as we wish for you. :eek:

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! Yes, this is the BEST site out there for anyone doing the "sugar dance" You're going to meet so many wonderful people on here who are always around to help answer any questions you may have ..

I just wanted to stop in and say welcome!

3. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Thank you! I feel better already!!! LOVE AND LIGHT TO YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!! We shall overcome! :smile:

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

oh yes, feline diabetes is very manageable!!

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Greetings and Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be, but will be blessed to have found. Diabetes is very doable, in fact I adopted my Maxwell as a diabetic from this very board and this Saturday will be welcoming home my second diabetic kitty Musette.

Just a few questions for you, so we know how best to help you and Woo (love her name)

What dose of Lantus is Woo on and how often are you giving it?
    What is she is eating right now? Diet can play a huge role in getting Ms. Woo back to her old self.
    And lastly are you home testing her? If not would you be willing to let us teach you how?

Welcome to the Sugar Dance.
    Mel, Maxwell and The Fur Gang

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hi there. just wanted to say welcome and to let you know there's another person in vegas with a recently diagnosed kitty and another member, Patty & Champ, there too in case you need any locals to talk to about all this or get help with testing or anything.

read, ask questions, take notes, and most importantly, take a deep breath from time to time :)

7. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Thank you all so much for the warm and responsive welcome. I am so new at this I am overwhelmed.

Woo is on one-half unit Lantus twice a day, but this is only her first glucose test since beginning insulin so we have not quite got her regulated yet. I found in an article in a scientific journal for feline medicine that Lantus has in studies shown greater ability to achieve remission or resolution of diabetes in cats. I will find the link if you like. I was convinced. But of course I will do what the vet says is best---I believe she is a true healer in her heart and a good vet.

Woo eats Whiskas wet food and now Rx Diet M/D dry food. She would not touch the M/D wet food. But the vets seem content to work around her diet. They said the main thing was to keep her eating, and she is. She weighs 5 oz. more this week than she did last week! :)

I think my bright-eyed girl has a good chance of living comfortably with diabetes. She is already relaxed into her elderly years, so gracefully you almost never saw that it had happened, she went from waif to grand dame of the household. She is a brave little thing; in fact I wish I could be more like her. Except for the diabetic part... :p

Love y'all and talk again soon,
    Namaste,
    Baji

8. Kathyh

Kathyh Member

Welcome. You'll see the more you read - the importance of home testing. You will grow to love it as it really helps you know exactly how the insulin is working for your kitty and it lessens trips to the vet, saving money. Most kitties have much higher Blood Glucose levels from stress when at the vets so could be prescribed much higher doses than kitty needs. Read as much as you can from the top links and ask questions anytime.

9. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

I cannot imagine how home testing will work with Woo. I read that you prick the ears, and she has a thing about ANYTHING touching her ears... This worries me...

Namaste,
    Baji :mrgreen:

10. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

Its funny - many people have said that they can't imagine how they can test or even inject b/c the cat is feral, shy, doesn't like being restrained, etc. And then they post in a week saying that the cat tolerates it with little fuss. I think that the trick is to be calm, breathe, and be business like. Tell yourself and your cat that this is a necessary part of the treatment and takes moments - and is the only way to know if your cat is heading for remission.

When you are ready, watch a couple of videos, fiddle with your supplies. Do a couple of dry runs without the cat. Decide where to test, assemble metre and other bits, warm sock. Then do it with the cat, but don't poke. Put the strip in the metre and see how long it takes to time out. If it times out, you can usually pull it out and reinsert. Then give it a try. Reward the kitty every time, blood or not. You'll be a pro in no time!

11. MommaOfMuse

Also If she is really ear shy, how is she about having her feet messed with? We have some folks here that use the paw pads.

12. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    One of my co-workers has a black diabetic cat about 15. Terry says that Batman has been diabetic for 3 years and is also on Lantus. She tests his paw pads b/c he's black. She does not test him every day (don't get on me, gang, this is what Terry feels comfortable with; she also shoots in his scruff area). she says she cleans his pads before and after (since he'll eventually go in the litter box). I guess he's used to it, after 3 years. I assume that Terry gives him a treat afterwards. I am currently testing Cedric every other day (he'll be tested when I get home later today) and I plop the treat can in front of him while I test. I still struggle with it, but he's patient, since he knows he'll get a treat!

I feed him Wellness & Evo. I took him off dry food on 5/19 (he was diagnosed 4/22). Please see my boy's spreadsheet in my signature to see the results of this. I feed him 4 small meals a day. My bet (who has 2 diabetic pets at home) was hoping to get Cedric into remission, he just wasn't expecting it in a month! Thanks to the gang here, we were successful! Both the message board and Dr. Rebecca's main site are great. Good luck and talk to you soon! Stay cool over there!

13. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

You have found the best place for your kitty. You will learn so much and your kitty will thrive.

Diabetes was an overwhelming diagnosis for us but the group here and once you get to the Lantus Land subforum (once you come up to speed on diabetes basics and home testing) made it just part of our daily routine. We did not have a vet that was knowledgeable on up to date diabetes treatments - very old school - it would have been an absolute nightmare without this forum. We saved a fortune doing our own curves and home testing.

Just wanted to say welcome and that you are in great hands.

14. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I believe the article you're referring to is this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19592286

However, please note that it very explicitly says that the successful remission rate is only in conjunction with home testing and tight regulation. So you do need to be home testing if you want those high remission odds.

You can read about tight regulation here, if you would like more info: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1581

15. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

How on earth do you produce a curve at home? I can't imagine having to prick my cat 12 times in one day. She would hide and not come out.

16. MommaOfMuse

To do a curve at home you really are only testing every 2 hours.

And most cats don't mind at all as long as the low carb treats keep coming. In fact my guy purrs through it all, and I adopted him as a diabetic, so we had no established bond of love and trust when I started to test him. Today all I have to do is shake the test strip container and he comes running to be tested. He has been in remission now for 8 months but he went into remission very quickly, so if I hadn't been testing him at home, I am sure he would have hypoed, and possibly died, because I just didn't know him well enough to know what was normal and what was not for him yet.

We now are best of friends and he loves to crawl in bed with me at night and sleep on my head. :lol: And even though he is in remission, sometimes he still bugs me to test him because he wants his treat.

Managing this disease at is so easy that tomorrow I will be welcoming home my second adopted diabetic kitty.

17. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Bandit fought me at first but after a couple weeks he realized he got a treat after every test and ran to his basket for testing every time he heard the meter click on. Now he's so used to it he doesn't even flinch. And he's what I would call a difficult cat. I have to hold him down just to groom him.

18. MauiGuppy

MauiGuppy Well-Known Member

Hi Baji and welcome!

I can see that you've already been in great hands with the folks who've already stepped in and piped up.

I'm certainly not one of the most experienced folks on this board but I can share with you my experiences so far. I was a paw poker since Junior was diagnosed in Feb and have been trying to switch to ears, mostly over the last 2 weeks. I like paws because it was easy, generally easy to restrain the kitty and it bleeds easily if you hit the right spot. Unlike ear pokes, it's easy to jab the lancet because there's nothing to poke through. One downside is after a day of hourly pokings, his paws have a hard time bleeding the next day.

So why am I switching to ears? Personally I think it's better for my kitty. Ears are less sensitive and once you test it more frequently there, the ears build new capillaries so they bleed easier. The biggest reason was that my sweet little Junior that I had known for 11 years became this stressed out aggressive cat that I didn't recognize anymore. This week it got so bad he clawed my forearm, bit on top of my hand and palm, bit my tricep and scratched my thigh. And that was from one attempt at testing him. Later that day he bit me in the face.

If I had to start over again, I would've begun my diabetic journey by focusing on ears. Like alot of cats, he squirmy and hissy and growly but I think it would've been less so if he wasn't traumatized by paw pokes.

12 times/day sounds overwhelming and just do the best you can. More data is obviously better. But yesterday I managed to get 2 ear pokes in and called that a victory. And the folks here knew what a rough transition it has been for me and celebrated that with me too!

Baby steps Baji!
    Bonnie

19. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Do cats often go through personality changes when they go on insulin? I am wondering what my Woo is going through, how it must feel to her. There must be a massive amount of change going on to her body chemistry. I don't even know what it is like for a human when they first start insulin.

20. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

From what we've observed here, most cats start perking up pretty quickly as they start to feel better. Many, but not all cats, start to actually bond more with their humans because of all the treatments because they associate them with feeling better. There have been cats who remind their humans when it is time for their tests!

A curve is every 2 hours, not every hour, and funny enough, most cats, but not all, don't care in the least. I thought for sure my cat would hate me and he never did...and he would purr when I tested.

Jen

21. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Does anyone know if burning incense with my diabetic cat in the room is really bad? It is part of my daily meditation but I will cut it if it could seriously affect her.

22. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Awwwwwww, I had a kitty called Squeak once... :smile:

23. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Right now Woo is sleeping a lot, but of course as a cat and an elderly cat at that, sleeping is her favorite hobby. She isn't quite as lap-snuggly and purry as she was before insulin but there is a lot of stress in the house right now so I think she is just uncomfortable with the vibes... :sad:

24. LynnLee + Mousie

fwiw, i burn incense in my home and none of my cats seem to have a problem with it. i don't have any cats with respiratory related issues though so if your cat has anything like allergies, asthma, etc....but if you've always burned it and there wasn't a problem before, the diabetes shouldn't make a difference i wouldn't think

25. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

tyvm, no, woo has never had a problem with incense before. now when i play drumming, that's another matter... ;-)

26. Byt2luv

Byt2luv Member

Hi and welcome Baji

I see you are very concerned about how Woo feels and how Woo will feel... I personally believe that if you give your kitty love (from your heart only come with good intentions) then you will more likely than not get that love returned. They are VERY intelligent souls. I am a foster mom to a rescue group and currently have 6 fosters with various special needs and wants. One is Ginger... SUPER SWEET CALICO girl with mesmerizing green eyes. I was told that she was not a happy girl and felt poorly because of her diabetes. From day one she has been the perfect little girl. She actually loves her insulin and I believe she knows it makes her feel good. I show her the needle and she will come running and head butt it. She does nothing but purr in my arms. We had no trust built up when I began to treat her for FD but I had love in my heart and touch. I think this is why she responded so well to me and has never shown any anger. She is 8 years old and before coming to me slept mostly. Now that she is regulated she is like the energizer bunny constantly running and wanting to play. Now I am not saying that Woo will do this but I think once regulated and she starts to feel better you will probably see that ole Woo back. Test Ginger is very hard for me too only because she is constantly running around non-stop now. I have to towel her so I can keep hold of her but believe me when I tell you she is purring non-stop all the while. She barely feels the prick. It isn't easy at first because it is scary for both you and Woo but it can be done. Ginger is on the verge of remission (OTJ) so it is imparative that I check her BG level before each insulin treatment. Shemay not need it and to give it when her level is already fairly low is dangerous. What I suggest and what helped me is to test your own BG level a couple of times to see how it feels and to get comfortable. Then go to Woo as calm and with resolve. You do this with love only in your heart.

27. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Thank you for the welcome. I have been told I am a natural healer; I wish I could cure Woo and let her live forever as my bodhisattva... :mrgreen:

28. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

oh god oh god i just dropped the insulin bottle but it was in t he box and only got a little bit shook up. if it is clear tomorrow, will it still be useable? i just got it and it's $120 a bottle... i am so scared...

29. Lesley & Cheekyface

Lesley & Cheekyface Member

I know it's hard but try not to panic--I had a bad moment and juggled mine a couple of days ago and very nearly dropped it straight onto my kitchen bench unboxed.

Your vial didn't break. This is a good thing. No cracks or dents in the metal cap? No leaks into the box?

Is the silicone port still concave (sucked into the vial a little bit)? if it is, then the negative pressure is holding and it should still be okay. Any small bubbles should settle, just be careful when you draw your next dose.

If there are any floaties, that might be a problem.

There's a sticky on the Lantus support board about care and storage of Lantus "Lantus isn't as fragile as we thought"

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151 .

xo

xoxo

30. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

oh bless you, thank you!

31. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

is it ok to store insulin lying horizontally or only upright?

32. Lesley & Cheekyface

Lesley & Cheekyface Member

I would keep it in the box to protect from light and store it upright in the fridge (I have mine in one of the eggholder sockets) so that the solution isn't in constant contact with the silicone port. I'm an ex-nurse (looooong time ago now) and from memory we ALWAYS kept the insulins upright.

33. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

thank you soooooooooooooo much!!! i just checked the bottle and it appears fine, no dents and no cloudiness or floaties! i hope it's been long enough to tell!

34. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome! You've been given some great tips so far... I wanted to offer some specific suggestions for poke-time treats. My Willie loves both the Purebites freeze dried chicken treats (we get them in the dog treat aisle at Petco... same product, just in a larger bag that is cheaper per ounce!). He also likes Gimborn Pure Natural Dog treats and he goes coo coo for cocopuffs over Dried Tuna/Bonito flakes. Petco carries them, as does a brand called Cat Man Doo that you can find at speciality pet stores or online.

While he's a gentle soul with no teeth or front claws, hometesting was tricky at first. Now, he comes and gets me for pokes because he wants treats!! He also clearly understands that the pokes, shots and pills he has to take all contribute to him feeling better, so he is very cooperative. Willie is 15, but you'd never know it by looking at him. After just a couple months on insulin, he started spontaneously playing for the first time in as long as I can remember... and now has the energy of a cat half his age. Here are a couple videos taken just yesterday. We're in our 7th month of the sugar dance, and he is a healthy, happy boy.

The stories I could tell you about the abuse of my first vial of insulin!! Left it out on the counter, dropped it a few times, was rolling it before shooting based on bad advice from the vet.... everything you could do wrong, I did!! I kept my second vial in a sleeve of bubble wrap!! :lol: :lol: :lol: We now use the pens as they are more cost effective, and I keep it in a coffee mug in the middle of the fridge (not on the door).

So glad you decided to join us! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help make this process easier for you. You are definitely in the right place!!

35. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

Waving welcome from Minnesota... goodness you're proactive and sound like someone who's going to all over this diabetes from the beginning. This really does sound difficult to test a cats ears at first... My Charlie was a boy with attitude... and even my vet (who did not support home testing) said. You found this on the internet (it was 9 years ago and Charlie was 12)... I wish you luck, you'll lose your hand.

Hope told me to talk to him and tell him what I was going to do as I did it. I explained it and really didn't have any argument from him... He'd been feeling bad and when I started testing and shooting insulin, my young Charlie showed up again. People told of their cats coming to get them at test and shot time... I laughed until Charlie came and told me it was shot time... Slowly this wonderful cuddling pet showed up... but sadly only 'with the lights out' He recived two shots a day for those seven years. He died at almost 19 from a stroke two years ago. I will miss him forever.

Four years ago we adopted another diabetic. We changed his food to the low carb fancy feast and started him on insulin.. Testing and shooting reducing doses as necessary. The night we brought him home he tested at 587 - I gave him 2 units... the next morning 14 hours later... he was 90... Scares me to think how low he must have gone... In ten days of reducing and testing... he has been diet controlled now with no insulin in the past 4 years, except for those first four days.

There are similar stories on FDMB.. those who go on a "honeymoon" from insulin and those that continue with shots... those that only need a tad of insulin every once in a while... its a journey of patience and testing. But that sweet cat that loves you will travel with you and love you for taking such good care.

Welcome to our FDMB family. I write poetry...

A Time Not Long Ago
    ©2005 By Carol Notermann

I’m sitting here and thinking of a time not long ago
    A time when I did not know, just what I didn’t know!
    It ended with a phone call. The vet had done a test
    And all of us here on this site, I think you’ve guessed the rest.

Thus Feline Diabetes became a real familiar term
    Along with glucose levels, there was much for me to learn.
    “I’m going to have to stick my cat to give him insulin?”
    I knew I couldn’t do it, you all just don’t know him.

My baby’s got an attitude, and I was shocked to see
    That everything you told me, I did and he let me.
    He lets me prick his little ears, and slowly test a drop,
    And stick a strip beneath him, when he’s peeing and can’t stop.

He’s vocal when I give his shot, but sits there very still
    He knows that I won’t hurt him, he knows I never will.
    I’m grateful that I found this site, and took the time to learn
    I’m grateful for you people, who explained each brand new term.

I’m sitting here and thinking of that time not long ago.
    And wanted just to tell you, I’m so glad that now I know
    That ‘Feline Diabetes’ are not the worst words I could hear.
    For this disease is treatable, for that I give a cheer!

36. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Thank you so much. You all have been so welcoming and so helpful already I am so glad I came. I have tears in my eyes as I type this. Bless you all a trillion zillion times.

Woo is not objecting to the shots and you're right, she is already more active than she was (though she never stopped eating or being snuggly, which is why I never knew about the diabetes). My insulin seems to have survived, for which I give thanks.

I've heard about the pen things before but am, of course, as yet unfamiliar with them. It does sound like the better way to go.

:mrgreen:

37. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

You know I love this board when the first thing I check in the morning is not my email but this. :coffee:

38. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Yes, my vet had me watch a video on veterinarypartner.com that showed the person slowly rolling the vial in her hands to warm it slightly before drawing from it. Is this not ok?

39. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

Yes... gently rolling the insulin (not so much to warm in the vial) but to slowly mix the insulin within the suspension fluid. I would do the rolling and then draw Charlie's two units. Replace the vial in the frig, and warm the insulin within the syringe... As he told me very quickly that cold insulin stings.

40. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

And for those of you who have knowingly adopted diabetics, all I can say is, I am in awe at the tenderness of your hearts... Love to you, always.

41. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Actually, if you're using Lantus you do not want to roll it...this is one of those misconceptions about Lantus that is out there. My vet told us to roll it as well, but that's not right for Lantus - rolling Lantus damages it. I'm not familiar with other insulins, so maybe the rolling idea is leftover from past veterinary experiences with those insulins???

Have you checked out the stickies at the top of the Lantus support group? If not, there is a lot of great, helpful information there. It is a lot and it seems overwhelming, but remember you don't have to learn it all in one shot! Here's the link to the Lantus group:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9

It's great to hear that Woo is doing well with the injections and is returning to her old active self! Keep up the good work!

Amy

42. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

It's almost insulin time, if I can stop my hands from shaking. IT IS SO HARD TO READ ONE HALF UNIT in the syringe I have. It is for humans so it has big doses. Even when I asked my vet, she did not know where I could get syringes compatible with my insulin that would show SMALL doses clearly. But I bet someone here knows. :D

43. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

You can get insulin syringes at any human pharmacy.

Many here just go to WalMart and get Reli-On brand.

You must ask for:
    3/10 cc capacity (the smallest capacity available)
    'short' needles (5/16")
    30 or 31 gauge (31 gauge preferred...it's smaller).
    1/2 unit marks

Some pharmacists will insist that no such thing exists (1/2-unit marks) and will try
    to sell you 1/2 cc capacity syringes instead.

INSIST on seeing the words 1/2 unit marks (or something similar) on the outside of the box.

Also, you can get a syringe magnifier...ask the pharmcist. BD makes one and possibly other
    brands also.

44. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

45. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

46. totallybeachin

totallybeachin Member

Are you using U-100 syringes?
    If you are, then great news. Walmart has what you need. And for only $13 for a box of 100.
    Looks like this:

[​IMG]

And the units are marked like this. Whole units on the right, half units on the left. Sorry the picture also shows syringes that only measure whole units. That's the syringe on the right. Just look at the one on the left in the picture.

[​IMG]

eta:
    If you are using U-40 Insulin, here is the conversion chart.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions-printer.htm

47. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Oooooooooh, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I use U-100 syringes! Thank you so much!

48. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Woo has a runny nose now and some sneezing. This does not mean insulin allergy, does it?

49. Karen & Smokey(GA)

If Woo spent any time at the vet, might have picked up a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection).

Kitty cold.

Add 250 mg L-Lysine to food 2x/day. Get 500mg capsules of L-Lysine powder from
    a vitamin/health foods store. Just open the capsule and mix 1/2 of the contents into
    a meal 2x/day. Get pure L-Lysine powder in 500mg gel-caps if you can.

50. totallybeachin

totallybeachin Member

Good to know.
    I always have that on hand as it helps with cold sores. Never knew Kitty could use it for colds. Will definitely keep this info handy for future use.
    Thanks. :smile:

51. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Cats are susceptible to Herpes viruses. L-Lysine boosts the immune response against Herpes
    viruses and suppresses the viral reproduction. Cold sores are caused by a Herpes virus.

52. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

i hope they won't want to give her antibiotics for the sniffles she has... her vet checkup is wednesday (tomorrow)...

53. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Does anyone know of a message board for caregivers (I take care of my older sister, who has neurological damage from a car accident) that is as wonderfully supportive as this board? I love you all and everything you have said has helped. Any ideas? :?

54. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

This time I gave Woo her shot WHILE she was still eating---she is an enthusiastic eater and almost did not notice the shot as she dug into her Iams Pate. She had been getting mad at me about the shots; I had been waiting a little bit after she finished eating. But during eating works better; I got post-breakfast lap-snuggles again and I haven't got those in days.

What were the low-carb treats y'all recommended again?

55. totallybeachin

totallybeachin Member

I have some boiled chicken breast nuggets that I made myself and I also have freeze dried chicken breast that I found in the dog treat section at Petco and freeze dried salmon that I found in the cat treat section of PetSmart.

I'm sure there are others out there, but when I posted a similar question, those were the first responses I got, so I just went with it.
    Fair warning, the freeze dried salmon should be labeled Kitty Crack, cuz Callie Mae LOVES them that much. She tries to get in the tub if I leave it out on the table! She can't get the lid off, but that doesn't keep her from trying. All I have to do is SHOW her the tub and she starts going nuts.

Another thing I remember reading was homemade dehydrated chicken jerky, if you have a dehydrator. Someone posted a link of the one they had, so if your interested in going that route, here is what they used. Can't remember who it was, but they may come along shortly.

This is NOT the link they provided, but I think it is the same unit. Also, the price on this website is more than the one original linked. If your interested in it, I can find it. I have it bookmarked on another computer. It was like $35 or something.

http://www.nesco.com/category_449f7...43/product_731487ccda21/session_5fd47d00b854/

56. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Ah, I will look for the dried salmon, then! :) Thank you.

New Question: Is it OK to use natural lemongrass insect repellant around the floorboards of the rooms or does it do something to diabetics? :mrgreen:

57. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

The instructions that came with the Lantus vial seem contradictory to many things I've read here, including the Lantus stickies. These instructions (in microscopic type) say it can be stored at room temp, that injecting air into the vial is OK, and that squirting excess insulin back into the vial right after it is drawn is OK. Is this just because they want the Lantus to go cloudy and floaty so we have to buy more? (I don't trust pharmaceutical companies too much.) Just wondering. :roll:

58. I'm a big fan of shrimp. Bob thinks it was created to make him happy. I live about 3 miles from a dock and can buy a pound of large shrimp for about 8 bucks, and that might drop a bit since shrimp season started this week. They call them "large" but I'd call them mediums. I divide them into baggies of 4 shrimp each (I got 9 or 10 baggies from my last purchase I think). and freeze them. Every couple of days, I quick thaw and boil them and Bob has treats for 2 days. I've seen people suggest salad shrimp, which are just a lot smaller, but the large ones work well for me. I just cut them into small pieces after cooking. These are only costing me about 50c a day max.
    Here's the nutritional value for fresh shrimp:
    It says a 4oz serving, and at 36-40 count that's 9 or 10 of them.

Carl in SC

59. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

At Woo's checkup on Wednesday her BG was down to 250, yay! They left the dosage the same because they feared sending her into hypo. She does not have to go back for two more weeks; they want to see how the Rx hard food helps and that takes time.

Once we have her settled on a dose and I am at ease with the injections, then I will definitely want to learn about hometesting. :mrgreen:

60. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

My cat just threw up all the dinner she ate last night at 8.30pm (it's now 5.45am). I know throwing up is not out of the ordinary for ordinary cats, but what do I do about a diabetic cat who just lost a meal??? Help!

61. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

If you have Pepcid A/C on hand, give her that. Make sure it is A/C and not Complete. If it is 10mg tabs, give her 1/4.....if it is 20mg tabs, you give her 1/8th.....and best thing is to do it about an hour before she would normally be fed.

If you are not hometesting, now would be a good time to start. At least it was last night's dinner and not breakfast. She might just have a little upset tummy but I would keep an eye out for any more vomiting.

62. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

OK, who knows a site where I can get a free glucometer? I want to start hometesting at least on an every-few-days basis. Y'all have given me such courage, for which I thank you. :mrgreen:

63. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

64. LynnLee + Mousie

you can get one from lori and tom here. she does ask that you cover shipping if you can as the post office just keeps raising the prices of shipping darn them :) these kits usually come with everything you need to get started, meter, test strips, rice sock, toy perhaps, sometimes ketostix, etc.....whereas the store bought kits don't come with all the miscellaneous stuff
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19541

you could also try this
    https://www.onetouch.com/offers

answer as if you have the diabetes, not the cat :)

i'm not sure if that one comes with any test strips though and if so, it's usually just 10 strips

and this one too although last time i did this one it gave me a coupon i could take to the pharmacy with a prescription for it and get the meter for free so fill it out and see what it gives you
    http://www.contouroffer.com/ContourUpgr ... er=contour

i googled the one just above and it may be an expired offer. found this one instead for $5 off a Contour which cost about $18 at walmart i think
    http://www.contouroffer.com/

65. totallybeachin

totallybeachin Member

If it's affordable for you right now, I would suggest Walmart. they sell the ReliOn meter, either the Confirm or the Micro. They are only $9 and the strips are the cheapest around. $20 for 50.
    That's what ends up costing the most and why some companies offer a free meter. You have to use the strips that go with your meter and the free one's usually cost an arm and a leg.

As much as I dislike Walmart, I am grateful for this. :smile:

66. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

i got my lantus vial on june 18. should i throw it out now and get new? it appears fine.

67. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

ahhhhh, i see why all the free meters then! tyvm for the info!

68. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

How do your kitty's numbers look? Are you noticing any decrease in potency (such as #s creeping up)? If it seems to be working fine, and looks fine, it probably is ok. If its kept cool and handled gently, new needle every poke into the vial, it does seem to last quite a while.

69. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Many people get longer than the 28 day the mfg. recommends from a vial of Lantus. Keep watching for cloudiness or floaties. Another sign is BG numbers creeping up, but you haven't started testing yet? In any case I'd be sure to have a refill rx on hand. Try to get one for the pens. A lot of vets don't understand that we use them like mini vials w/ syringes. Don't let the pharmacist sell you the needles that normally go w/ them, the pharmacists don't understand either. The pens cost more initially, but you are getting at least a 5 month supply as opposed to perhaps only one month with the vial. You are also getting 15 ml, not just 10.

BTW I have never needed a rx to order syringes from ADW, by that can vary by your state law. I use the same ones that Amy does. The newbie kit will get you started, but in the long run you may want to buy another meter w/ less expensive strips. ADW had several meters that have inexpensive strips and they have very good quantity discounts. The Arkray is actually the maker of the Relion meters and has interchangeable strips w/ them. I use the Maxima which is being phased out, but the maker said they will continue to make the strips. You can still get it at ADW and the strips are only $16 or $17 for 50. If you sign up w/ MrRebates you will get an 8% rebate as well and there are often discount coupons available. There is also an inexpensive house brand meter at Target, strips are about the same price as the Relion at Walmart. I don't know of anyone who has tried it though, so not sure about accuracy. By law meters only have to be within +/- 20%. Most of us like to fin the ones that read lower. :lol:

70. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Her numbers have crept up a bit but she has been ill with an infected anal gland so I figured that was why. The antibiotics for it made her throw up. I do use a brand new syringe and needle each time, I'm just paranoid that way.

When Lantus goes bad, how do you know? Cloudiness, I know, but what exactly do floaties look like?

71. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Hi there!!! I live in Las Vegas so if you need any help at all with anything, such as hometesting, knowing where you can buy the cheapest insulin, which pharmacy will sell you one pen instead of all five (I've only found one pharmacy that will do this), or just want some advice on how to follow the protocol, send me a PM. I'll be glad to give you my phone number if you'd like. Take a look at Champ's SS (in my signature block) so you can see how we started and where we are now!! You'll also notice I follow the protocol very tightly with a lot of testing, but I work at home which makes this very feasible for me. Just let me know if I can be of any help!!!

72. Patty & Champ

I just now saw your last post. I'm pretty positive your insulin is fine. My first vial lasted over 80 days and was still good. I started a new pen just to see if Champ's numbers improved and they didn't which tells me the original vial was still good. And I was told to roll it (which I did for the first two weeks) and no one told me not to store if in the door of the refrigerator (which I did for two weeks), and I even injected air into it once because I read you were supposed to. None of that hurt my vial and I'm sure yours is fine, too. Lantus is not nearly as fragile as was first thought. On the Lantus board here at FDMB, there is a sticky on how to handle and store insulin. It reads, in part:

73. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Thank you so much for the prompt and encouraging reply! When I am finally ready to try hometesting---I'm under a lot of stress now starting a home business so it might be a little while---I will definitely get in touch! Thank you specifically and all board members generally for making this such a great forum! :razz:

74. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

My kitty is playing, my kitty is playing! She hasn't played much in a year or so. I guess she is feeling better! Tomorrow, new toys!!! :mrgreen:

75. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I would really suggest you star home testing as soon as possible. Things can change sudden in BG levels and you would have no idea that what was once a fine dose is now too much. Patty is there in LV and willing to help you. You are lucky to have someone so close. No parent would ever give a child insulin without testing. Our cats can't let us know when they start to feel bad from low BG. We can only know by testing that it is safe to give insulin. Even a few minutes of very low BG can be lethal. We have a saying "Better too high for days, than too low for a minute."

And one thing, you nearly gave me heart failure, we use the candle and rainbow icons for kitties who have passed away. So glad to hear that Woo is happy instead.

76. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

Woo seemed to have an episode of hypoglycemia today. She was shaking and stumbling. I gave her some wet cat food and some sugar water by mouth. Now she is not shaking but is very very tired. I am afraid she is dying. I have no money at atm, I can't afford a bg tester and i can't even afford her prescription hard food right now. that will be remedied soon i hope but it scares me to death... nailbite_smile

77. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

i promise not to use the rainbow icon again, sorry

78. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

the problem is, woo will not tolerate her ears being touched at all by anyone, and i cannot see that she would agree to have her pawpads pricked. there should be a better way...

79. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Contact Patty and Champ using a private message. (go back to her post and choose the pm button at the bottom of the page) She will be able to help you figure out hometesting and may even have some supplies you can use temporarily)

Contact Lori and Tom for a free meter and strips: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19541

Very few of us feed prescription food. Most of us feed lo carb Fancy Feast and Friskies. See this food chart for choices under 10% carbs: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html

BUT don't change foods until you have a handle on her numbers. Your episode today should be a wake up call that you need to be on top of your numbers before giving a dose.

80. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

yes i feed her iams pate canned food which is the only one she likes. she was a true devotee of hard food and really misses the rx hard food now that i am out, but it's $17.00 for 4 pounds...

81. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

this may have been brought on by her sudden lack of rx hard food? she ate it for afternoon snacks between canned foods and injections.

82. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The pate is much better for her than dry. Janet doesn't have a whole lot of the Iams flavors, but if you look at the chart, they run from a nice 9% to a high 26%. You might try a cheaper brand in the same flavor and mix them for awhile to see if she will eat it. Yes, the dry will keep her numbers higher than the wet lo carb so a change to no dry can mean a sudden drop in bg levels. Even dry treats can make a big difference in some cats.

But the bigger issue is getting a handle on her bg levels so she doesn't go too low. Can I suggest you start a new topic (this one is really long) and ask for hometesting tips. We have lots of difficult cats that people have been able to hometest and they have lots of tips that helped them. Also, having someone like Patty demo the technique first on her cat might be a big help for you.

83. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

she just sat down hard because her hind legs would not hold her. what do i do???

84. Sue and Oliver (GA)

How long since you gave insulin? Is she wobbly or acting funny? Describe how she is acting. It could be a hypo or it could be neuropathy, which is common in diabetic cats.

85. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

She had her wet food and her one unit of Lantus at 9am this morning Pacific time. About 4pmPST i noticed she was shivering and wobbly on her legs. i assumed it was hypo and gave her sugarwater and some more wet food. now she is purring again and eating hard food, but her back legs still won't hold her up long and she does not like me to touch her back legs. god, i hope i did not kill her by trying to stop a hypo...

86. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

how long does it generally take a cat to recover from a hypo episode? 12 hours? a day?

87. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It sounds like you did fine. If it has been hours since the insulin, it should not be hypo. But I definitely would reduce the dose tonight (or skip) and figure out a way to stay on top of her bg levels. Here is what neuropathy is:

http://felinediabetes.com/weak-back-rear-legs.htm

Does it sound like what she is doing?

88. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

oh thank god! thank u for answering so quickly! u guys on this board have saved my sanity and most likely my cat, too.

does neuropathy make them shake and shiver? i thought that was primarily a sign of hypo. until now, all my life all i've known about diabetics is if they start shaking u give them sugar and food. so i went with that. better hyper for a bit than hypo, right? hypo kills quickly whereas neuropathy can be treated with methylB12. hope i did it right.

i will skip her lantus tonight---lantus is long-acting and i have read that more than one episode of hypo can occur due to its long-actingness. tonight i will be by my kitty's side and nowhere else. got the sugarwater, the wet food, will get some honey too. AND AS GOD IS MY WITNESS, I WILL LEARN TO TEST MY CAT'S BLOOD GLUCOSE!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :YMPEACE:

89. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Here is the hypo info. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15887. I copied it off and kept a sheet in my kitchen.

Start a new post and ask for difficult cat testing advice. I know we will be able to help. It will ease your mind so much to know what her numbers are instead of worrying about possible symptoms.

90. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

woo is just fine, the weakness in her legs has stopped!

um, newb question, but how do i start a new topic? :oops:

91. Sue and Oliver (GA)

At the top of the page, hit the button New Topic. Choose a subject line, write in the box and choose Submit.

92. Patty & Champ

I got your PM and tried to reply and send you my phone number, but it says you've disabled receipt of messages so you'll have to fix that in order for me to PM you. If you can't figure out how to fix it (and I don't have a clue myself), just PM me your phone number and I'll call you and give you my number.

I have an extra glucometer that I can give you and I'll walk you through learning how to test your cat. The most important thing you can do is to learn how to home test. I'll even bring extra test strips to last you for a couple days so you'll have time to get to Walmart to get some. It's a ReliOn Confirm meter from Walmart and the test strips are the cheapest around. I've even found a place online to get them even cheaper.

Let me know what I can do to help. I'll be going out tonight at 8:00. If you PM before that, I'll call you tonight. Otherwise, I'll have to call tomorrow morning.

93. Patty & Champ

I got your PM, but decided to post here so everyone can see my reply. In the PM, you wrote:

I'm sorry you've declined my offer of help. I'm willing to give you a free meter and strips and to come to your home to show you how easy it is to home test and you decline. From what I've read in this extremely long condo, you've been scared your cat has been going very low, and showing symptoms, and yet you still don't think it's important for you to test your cat before you give him insulin. I sincerely do not understand that rationale. All I can say is that I wish you well. With all my heart, I hope your cat is okay!!!

94. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Baji:

I hope you will please take up Patty on her offer....it is so very generous.

A hypo on lantus can last up to 16 hours; extremely low blood sugar can cause the brain cells to be depleted of needed sugar. It is so very important to test her before you give insulin and to check her and make sure her numbers are not going too low.

I can tell how very much you love Woo. If you had a child, would you give it insulin without first checking its blood sugar? I am sure you wouldn't and so Woo deserves the same. It could be that stopping the dry food (which has a lot of carbs) could have caused her numbers to come down. We also recommend caution when shooting insulin and withdrawing dry food. It's important to monitor and see what taking the dry food away does. Often, the amount of insulin will need to be decreased but if you aren't hometesting, it's hard to know or to help guide you on what would be an appropriate and safe dose for Woo.

There have been many others who had a difficult time at first with hometesting because the kitty was so unhappy. An experienced person like Patty can help you learn how to do it. The kitties eventually do get used to it.
    I hope you will reconsider and let Patty come help you. I wish you and Woo the best.

PS...answering a question you had from a long time ago...incense and scented candles can be toxic to cats.

95. catgirlinthesun

catgirlinthesun Member

i am afraid of trying yet, ok. my cat never allows ANYONE to touch her ears; she suffered ear trauma in her kittenhood. she scratches and hisses and cries and bites when i just try to touch her ears to get her used to the idea.

i did not mean to upset anyone or be unkind. my whole family is in rather crap shape this month so i don't know when i can do it. there's no way to test a cat when the cat needs to be calm and your crazy nephew is screaming for hours all evening...

no offense or ingratitude was intended; if you wish i will leave the board.

96. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Hi, Baji...I havent posted in your condo before...
    but i don't think anyone wants you to leave the board.

we understand what it's like in the beginning...
    scary, expensive, overwhelming.
    Especially when you have other difficult things going on in your family.

The main concern on the FDMB is the health of your kitty...
    and the episode you described is a scary one.

Hang in there...
    and truly...i dont think anyone thinks you should leave the board.

you want to help your cat...and we want to help you do that.

celi & binks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.