Hi! I'm new to the group

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lauren M., Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren M.

Lauren M. Member

Hello all,
    My name is Lauren and Colby was recently diagnosed with diabetes. The vet says my little guy of 4.5 is very young to have this disease and was just as shocked as I was. Her original recommendation was insulin but I just couldn't find myself giving that level of care. I tried the wet food diet for 2 weeks and it did nothing. If anything Colby had actually lost weight during those 2 weeks. I couldn't bare to see my kitty deteriorating like that so I put him on insulin. It has been a very difficult week for me. The shots are a piece of cake but the home testing is painful, Colby hates it. I am able to get blood but I feel his anxiety contributes to a higher reading. I guess in time it will get easier. My readings have been all over the place since I started...maybe I'm doing it wrong? Also, it's been less than a week since he's been OTJ so I have to give it some time.

Just wanted to say how thankful I am to have found this support group. I am so hopeful that Colby will get better.

-Lauren

2. Petey'smom

Petey'smom New Member

Hi, Lauren and Colby! I used to have a furbaby that looked EXACTLY like Colby! Welcome! I know Colby hates the ear pricks but there are ways of making it better for him. If you're not doing so already try using Neosporin plus pain releif on Colby's ear( a thin coat will do) before you prick. It makes the blood bead up better, instead of spreading through his fur and it also helps with the pain. Also, don't be shy when it comes to bribery! Freeze dried chicken treats are low carb and my Petey would walk over hot coals to get some! lol Petey was diagnosed less than a month ago and he actually comes to me when I shake the vial of test strips. He knows he's gonna get "kitty crack" and he apparently feels it's a good trade-off!
    Another really important thing is YOUR anxiety level. Colby knows you're nervous and thinks he should be too. Take some deep breaths - whatever helps you but, the more calm you are the more calm Colby will be as well. Hope these tips help!!:cat:

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Good for you getting started on the home testing! It will get better.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

5. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Hi Lauren and welcome. It really will get easier, I was totally freaked out at first, I couldn't even stand to see someone get a shot much less GIVE one! But Goof and I do just fine now. Don't be too concerned about numbers being all over the place right now as it takes a little time for Colby's body to learn what to do with the insulin. I had an awful time testing on the ears, I use the paw pads, they don't have much feeling in them and they bleed pretty well. It's also helpful to give kitty lots of love before and after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.