Hi...I'm new!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mmrocker13, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmrocker13

mmrocker13 New Member

Hi... we're new to the board. My female cat, Maxxie, was diagnosed wednesday after a period of rapid weight loss and dehydration. She also had a UTI--likely from the diabetes. She was started on antibiotics wednesday night, and received her first injections yesterday (ProZinc 40; 2 units/dose...Initially, we were going to do 1 unit, but when she tested at 696, we started at 2.).

She is 15, but honestly, until this episode, you would have thought she was 5. She runs circles around our other cats (ages 4 and 14), and was in excellent health (and perfect weight). It was a definite shock.

We are new to diabetes, but not to long-term care (or needles). Our fourth cat (Momo), who died last fall at age 11, lived with stage IV renal failure for 3+ years (yes...3 years with next to zero kidney function AND obsructions). He was 8 at the time of diagnosis, and stayed stage IV the entire time, but had an excellent quality of life right until the end. We did daily (and later 2x daily fluids) with him for years.

As our vet said...well CRF needs daily attention, but the upside is schedule is flexible. Downside is...it's fatal. Diabetes needs daily attention, and the downside is schedule is pretty rigid. Upside is...not fatal! Always look on the bright side, I guess.

So, we had four, now we have three cats: 15-year-old Max--the brown tabby in the avatar; Frank (classic orange and white tabby, 14), and Finnegan (tuxedo, 4). (Momo was an all-black fellow). We also have two dogs--a pair of 3-year-old Akitas: Gryphon (all white), and Norah (fawn/white/sable long coat).
    Thanks!

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. Take your time to look around and read the information. Print off the information on what to do in case of a Hypo and put it up on the refrigerator or on a cupboard. Are you home testing? Testing before feeding and giving his shot is important to keep Maxxie safe. Post any questions you might have on the main health forum

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi welcome to you and Maxie. You have quite a crew! Yes, diabetes is treatable, some cats even go into remission and become diet controlled. ProZinc is an excellent insulin, come over to the ProZinc forum and read the stickies to help you understand how it works. Then introduce yourself there and ask any questions you have.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

4. AJHJ

AJHJ Member

Welcome to you and Maxxie. You'll find the people on the ProZinc forum to be very welcoming and helpful. It wasn't too long ago I was new here and I credit the people on the forum with getting Bunny into remission.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.