Hi I'm new

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah Griffiths, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah Griffiths

Sarah Griffiths New Member

My kitty was diagnosed a couple months ago. We have been having a hard time getting him regulated. He keeps losing weight, and I'm trying not to lose hope. So I'm glad this community exists
    I just have a few questions, mainly about diet.
    My vet has recommended insulin right after or during a meal, and he is to be fed only twice a day.
    I know it's the nature of the illness, but this little dude is STARVING and begging! It feels so wrong
    How important are these scheduled feeding? Sometimes I forget to take up his food before I leave for work, how detrimental is that?
    Can he safely snack during the day without insulin?
    Also, I want his weight up, should I be feeding him high fat foods? He really likes bacon haha, that's probably not good for him though hey...
    Anyway hopefully I'm asking these questions in the right place.
    Happy for any advise, and to be part of this forum. Thanks

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Most of us feed several meals a day and some even free feed. Are you home testing? We highly recommend that you do as it’s the only way to see how well the insulin is working and the best way to keep your kitty safe. Once you start testing, the only time you want to pick up the food is 2 hours before you test and give the insulin shot. Come to the Main health forum and tell us more about your kitty so we can better help you both.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  3. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Beautiful kitty!

4. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Welcome to the club. You've got a gorgeous furbaby! The forum is a great place for advise and support.
    I'm pretty new and am not qualified to give advise. But I am happy to share my experience with Coco. Initially Mr. Vet instructed me to feed Coco twice a day with no snacks. But she's a nibbler and I didn't realize she wasn't getting nearly enough food. She started begging and being a general nuisance. Then I came home one night to find she had dug through a trash can looking for food. After bawling my eyes out for being such an awful cat momma, I researched on the forum and made an executive decision to free feed Coco. I just can't have a starving cat. During the next visit, Mr. Vet agreed that free feeding was the best option for her. The one thing I have learned the past few months is dealing with a sugar cat isn't a "one-size fits all" formula.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.