Hi, Kitteh Levi and his Mom here, got quite the tale...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mitla96, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitla96

Mitla96 Member

Hi, thanks to everyone for this board existing, I have learned so much already! My story is sad but but getting better. My cat, who we have always called Kitteh, but is officially Levi, started to get sick in Nov 2017. He was peeing HUGE amounts, drinking consistently and was thin and ungroomed. I had a home vet come to the house, and $900 worth of testing later- vet says the glucose was normal, not hyper thyroid, he diagnoses him with diabetes insipidus, says he is untreatable, to feed him the highest calorie food I can and “he won’t live long”.

So, I was doing this. On April 12, his face was swollen, with a pimple under his cheekbone. I thought something had bitten him. By the next day, the pimple was the size of a quarter, I noticed a small amount of bloody drainage, washed it with a wet paper towel, and...basically his face exploded. A huge amount of bloody, purulent drainage came flying out of the now large open wound. I called the home vet and he wasn’t available, but Thank God my dog’s vet took us immediately, excised the wound and put him on antibiotics and pain med. Labs were drawn. He had a bad dental abscess.

Well, as you have probably guessed because we’re here, his BG was 400. IMHO completely misdiagnosed 6 months ago and I have been doing the exact opposite of what I should have been doing for months. These last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of learning how to test, insulin injections, another wound excision, and a dental surgery in which he went “stiff” and had a BG of 750.

The vet and I did discuss his chances. Kitteh is only 9, and here’s the thing. He has been trying SO hard to live. I figured he deserves every chance at good health again. I feel so guilty I didn’t seek out a second opinion but I trusted that vet and his BG that day WAS normal-150. (Everything else was CLASSIC diabetes, though). I’m an RN so I have been kicking myself hard.

The good news is although he is definitely not regulated yet (amps average 360) he is looking SO much better! Urine output is down, he is better hydrated, facial wound healed amazingly fast. I would post pictures if I could figure it out! :) The first day I saw him groom himself again I cried! So again thank you for his board and we are here for the long haul.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Omg poor baby! Welcome. We are here to help. Please remove the GA.... That means your cat has passed away. Gone ahead.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I’m glad you and sweet Kitteh are here, and I’m so glad he’s doing better. I see you already have your spreadsheet up, excellent! If you can get a few midcycle tests in that will help to see how well the insulin is working. Come to the Main Health forum and tell us more about Kitteh, such as what insulin you’re using and what you’re feeding and we can give you any suggestions we have to get him closer to regulation.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I am glad things are looking better.

5. Mitla96

Mitla96 Member

OMG I thought GA meant General info, now gotta figure out how to edit....

6. Mitla96

Mitla96 Member

I figured I would do a mini curve tomorrow since I will talk to the vet again on Tues. Will visit the Main Health Forum tonight, thanks, Sharon!

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Mitla96

Mitla96 Member

I fixed it!

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. Mitla96

Mitla96 Member

I posted an update under Lantus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.