Hi! My cat is Moomoo

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Katharine, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katharine

Katharine New Member

Hi all, My kitty cat is pre-diabetic ( according to her vet). She suggested that we have to get her weight down from 15 lbs. So she put me on a specific no carb diet, no dry food, etc. and that we just see how she does in the next month. Her symptoms had been drinking more water and peeing grapefruit size pee balls ( pre diet). Her glucose level at the vet was 240 after having extensive blood work done. After one month on that diet, I used the AlphaTrak home and find that her levels have been 89 to 95 range, but took her back to the vet to see what was going on and her glucose test was 230 and she lost a pound. The vet put her on kitty prozac and wants me to keep the diet going and to monitor her pee levels, but discouraged me from further AlphaTrak testing, until we get her weight down. Anyway, this is pretty overwhelming and I'm trying to figure out what the next step is for her. Her water drinking has decreased.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi Katherine,
    I'm a little confused about why the Vet doesn't want you testing anymore? You're numbers at home are probably way more accurate and her readings at the Vet are stressed influenced, yes we can see differences of 100 points ;). If her numbers at home have ranged 89 - 95, that's within the normal range on AT2 meter of 68 - 150. So you may have had non-diabetic stressed kitty or one that can be diet controlled :woot:. Also, a pound in 1 month is a lot for a kitty. What was the reason for putting her on Prozac?

Katharine likes this.
  3. Katharine

Katharine New Member

:)
    Hi Yong, Thanks for your message. The Vet's explanation is that it is too early to start monitoring and that it can actually create more anxiety. I will continue to monitor. The vet put her on prozac because pre- diet change she was waking me up three times a night to be fed. Yowling. Now since the diet change, and the prozac, she doesn't wake me up. I hope it can be diet controlled. The vet was happy about the one pound shift, but wants to make sure her weight doesn't drop too quickly. I weighed her today and she is 2 oz thinner than the last weighing.

4. Yong & Maury GA

You are welcome!
    If she is tolerating home testing fine, I don't see her anxiety getting high enough to influence the BG reading. Have you calculated the proper caloric intake for her ideal weight? Also, what is her feeding schedule like? That may have been a reason she woke you up in the night, if it's like 2x feedings. Could also have been early stages of diabetic symptoms where if her sugar was higher than usual, she felt more hungry if all the nutrients from the food weren't being absorbed as usual. Regardless, the diet seems to be working for her :D. I'm not a professional but I can give you a general idea of her calories per day, just let me know the weight you are trying to get her down to :cat:. Definitely don't want her losing it too fast ;)

Katharine likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

He only reason for going on Prozac was you like Meowing at night? Any other behavioral issues? My cat did that when he had high blood pressure.

Katharine likes this.
  6. Katharine

Katharine New Member

She is down to a diet of 200-240 calories per day. That is one can of cat food, split in the am and then fed at night. I'm trying to get her down to 12-11 pounds. The vet wants her down to 11 preferably.

Hi Janet, no other reason for prozac all other stuff in blood checked out okay with the full panel of tests.

7. Katharine

Katharine New Member

I'm feeling blessed that my friend, a vet tech is coming over tomorrow to check in on her.

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You could spread the food out into mini meals, this way she won't feel to hungry. One can a day just doesn't seem enough to me. Another thought, testing has nothing to do with weight loss. No need to stop until she loses weight.

Katharine likes this.
  9. Katharine

Katharine New Member

That is what I've been doing:)

Olive & Paula likes this.
  10. Yong & Maury GA

I split the difference and calculated for a 11.5 pound kitty ;). Came up with around 204 calories per day, which is the lower end of your current range :) but it sounds like you are splitting that into 2 meals. What I think Woodsywife and I were hinting at is to try splitting it into like 4 meals a day. So if you are doing 1/2 and 1/2, 12 hours apart, try:
    AM meal - 1/4 can
    6 hours later - 1/4 can
    PM meal - 1/4 can
    6 hours later - 1/4 can

I realize the 6 hour ones you might be at work or sleeping :smuggrin:. You could buy a wet food automatic feeder OR freeze the portion with water, leave it out shortly after the AM/PM meals and let it thaw out so she can eat it later. Someone called them "catfoodsicles" :joyful:

Katharine likes this.
  11. Katharine

Katharine New Member

:)

12. Katharine

Katharine New Member

Today's number was 95, so will continue testing. The vet tech said she looks better and advised to keep testing to get an average.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  13. Katharine

Katharine New Member

Hi all, so far the testing has been very positive ( I think) :)All week she has had BG numbers from 89 to 102. Someone (not on this thread) had recommended that I give her insulin anyway without my vet consulting me about the amount or if she needed it. That sounded dangerous and I declined that person's offer of insulin. I don't think that is a good idea, and my friend the vet tech said that would have made her very sick or dead.

14. Yong & Maury GA

So glad you declined that recommendation :eek:! Those are her numbers without insulin, correct? If so, congrats on catching it super early and having a diet controlled kitty :woot:

Katharine likes this.
  15. Katharine

Katharine New Member

Thanks Yong! and thank you for the recommendation of the automatic cat feeder. Great suggestion.

16. Yong & Maury GA

You're welcome :)

Katharine likes this.
  17. Katharine

Katharine New Member

Yes, those are the numbers without insulin. If anything changes I will report back. I don't want to waste people's time as I know that taking care of an animal that is ill is a lot of work. Today's number was 91.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.