Hi, My name is Denise and my 15-year old cat, Bubba was daignosed in June.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DeniseParise, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeniseParise

DeniseParise New Member

I am new to message boards and not really sure how to use them, so please excuse any mistakes I may make.

My 15-year old cat, Bubba was diagnosed in June. I have not been able to get him under control. His on 7 1/2 units of PZI twice a day. I have been feeding him Fancy Feast Classic and Tiki Cat -- no dry food. I have 2 vets. My main vet, and my secondary vet. Right now, the secondary one is over-seeing Bubba's care.

She said that I am feeding him wrong and most likley I am the cause of the high BG's. I feed him every 3 hours - a small amount of either FF or Tiki. 200 caloris a day. She wants me to put him on prescription Glycobalance DRY food. (I am NOT happy about using dry food.) She ordered it for me and I will be picking it up on Friday. I am willing to try it. I need some help. I need a good feeding schedule. I know that I am doing it "wrong", but I have 7 cats - others with special needs and health problems - and I am struggling to care for all of them. And feed various special diets.

Right now, Bubba is my main concern and I am focusing most of my energy on his care. I test him for ketones - none yet - and I test his BG several times a day - Alpha Trak II. He is all over the map number-wise. Sometimes in the 500's. Sometimes in the 400's - and one day - quite unexepectedly - he crashed with a low of 48. (He was 500 the night before - 48 the next morning.)

My main concern right now is coming up with a good feeding schedule. I would like to continue with Fancy Feast with some Tiki cat thrown in. Like I said, I am willing to try toe prescription Glycobalance for a few weeks to see if it helps. Does anyone here have experience with Royal Canin Glyco balance?

Sorry if I am rambling . . .I am very concerned for his health. Oh yeah, I left out one important detail -- he had developed neuropathy over the past few weeks and his walking plantigrade. I am giving him Zobaline 3 mg once a day - started a month ago.

I need to get his BG under control. My two vets have two different approaches. But I am "The Mom", so I make the final decision. I want to do what is best. Please help me.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Denise, welcome. You instincts on the food is correct. What you’re feeding now is very low carb, whereas the dry Glyco balance is a whopping 25 carbs! I’m so glad you’re hometesting. If you’re willing to set up our spreadsheet, it will help us see what’s going on and be able to help you figure out a proper feeding schedule. If you need help, ask and we’ll do it for you.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Come to the Main Health Forum where there are more folks to help you out.

Vader723 likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Denise and Welcome! So glad you found us. We can help. Sharon gave you the link on setting up a SS so we can help you better. If you have any problems setting it up, just yell and someone will help you get it up and going.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! We can help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.