Hi, new here, my cat is Simba, 9 years old, diagnosed in the shelter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer R., Dec 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Hi, my cat, Simba, was diagnosed by the animal shelter we found him in, back in October. Someone recently pointed me to this forum, because we have been having trouble with his being hungry a lot, and even sometimes getting aggressive about being fed. We know very little about his history other than he was seized by the city and that his original owner died, and that his diabetes was difficult to control in the shelter. We have had him since October 24, and have had him on 2.5 units of Lantus twice per day, and 1/4 cup of Royal Canin diabetic kibble and 1/2 can of Royal Canin wet food twice a day along with the insulin. I am in the Pacific Northwest.

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to the FDMB! We are glad you and Simba found us.

We have two methods of regulation we use here and we can help you with that but first we need to help you hometest, if you aren’t, and get the right food. We can help you do all that if you will post on the Main Health Forum.

A couple posts to help you get started:
    How to Help Us Help You
    Editing Your Signature and Profile

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Cats with uncontrolled diabetes often need more food because their bodies can not properly utilize the nutrients. So they are literally starving. Feed him more. You don't need to feed perscription food. Actually the kibble is not low enough carb for a diabetic. Most people on here use fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. How much does he weigh and how many calories are you currently feeding? Also we advise feeding several smaller meals a day rather than two big meals

Jennifer R. likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to the FDMB!!

I hope we can make this a merrier holiday and a happy New Year by getting Simba regulated! The members here are very generous with their knowledge and time. Please join us on the Health board (Marje linked in in her post #2 above) and we're more than happy to help.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  5. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Thanks, I will head over there. He is 12 pounds. I understand, as has been pointed out, that lower carb foods are better, but since he is on insulin, I'm worried that if I lower his carbs he will need less insulin, and I'm not sure how to figure out how much less to use.

6. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

that is correct as to Simba needing less insulin. Are you testing?? if so how often?? It is with these test scores that people here will be able to help you set the amount of insulin you super sweet baby needs. People here test on a min 6 times a day..some as few as 4 but between the two is where you would find most of the parents.. And thank you for rescuing a super sweet cat..

Jennifer R. likes this.
  7. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

I don't have the lancets to start testing, I didn't realize they weren't included. I bought the ReliOn Prime meter and test strips, but not the lancets or the control solution. Once I am able to, I will start to test him.

Julia Rae likes this.
  8. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Many of the meters these days do not include the control solution. If you can find any ask the pharmacist perhaps they might have some.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  9. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

I tested his blood sugar right after his meal last night, and it was at 69. I didn't realize that was rather low, so I went ahead and gave him most of his insulin. I tested him again at +3 and he was down to 41, so I fed him some dry food and honey. I didn't test it again at that point because it was really late. I tested him this morning at 7:41 am, and he was at 132, so I skipped his insulin altogether. I am going to test him right now, two hours after meal time, and we shall see what happens.

10. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

I tested him at 10 am and he was actually lower, at 78, than before his meal. No insulin.

11. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Tested again at 2 pm, his blood sugar was 86, even though his last shot was last night at 8 pm. I cut out one tablespoon of the Royal Canin dry food, and substituted it with 1 tablespoon of Fancy Feast Classic

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

:)Answered on main forum page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.