Hi, New member and a little overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by imogen, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imogen

imogen Member

Hi all,
    My cat Imogen was diagnosed today with Diabetes so although I am thrilled to find you all I am not neccessarily happy to become a member. I am a little overwhelmed as the insulin my vet recommended is the one that seems to be rated the worst. humalin-N. She was a real trooper at the vet and they said we caught it really early so I am hoping to learn about diet and other options of insulin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and and welcome. I am freaked out.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club! I hope it helps to know that we were all frightened and overwhelmed at first.

We have a protocol that we have found helps cats to regulation and sometimes, remission. It consists of wet, lo carb food (http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm). We try to stay between 8-10% carbs. We also hometest our cats. We figure if we had a child, we wouldn't be willing to get a dose and just stay on it for 2 weeks without testing. We test before each shot to make sure it is safe to give insulin. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8) The third part is insulin, and you are right, Humulin is a more difficult insulin to regulate with. The 3 preferred insulins are Levemir, Lantus and ProZinc. We urge new diabetics to start low (one unit every 12 hours) and go slow.

When we came here, we read and reread. We copied pages we wanted to remember and put them into a binder so we could refer to them. A great place to start is the FAQs. http://binkyspage.tripod.com/faq.html

Please let us know how much insulin your Imogen is on, what kind of diet and her history. Love her name - is she a literary kitty?

There are lots of diseases that cats can get that are more deathly than diabetes. It is a relatively easy disease to treat and can be treated at home. You can do this. We'll help!

3. imogen

imogen Member

"Thank you, thank you!!" says Imogen (and I love that you understood her name!) I have b0oked an appt with another vet tomorrow to see what they say as I just feel after reading up today on the current treatments, my vet may not beup to snuff. I have told myself this will all work itself out in time and just because I don't understand all jargon and descriptions and such doesn't mean I am going to fail her as a care giver. I am hovering over her and she is starting to get annoyed!
    She is in great health and only thing I noticed was more frequent urination so thought a check up was needed. Had no idea what I was in for! She is a big girl (16pnds) and no weight had been lost so the vet said that was good. (?). I am going to take it one day at a time. The thing that freaks me out is that I travel for a few days at time and don't have the same work hours so what happens if her shots aren't exactly 12hrs apart? This is what has me most concerned.
    I am so happy to have this forum!!

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

All you need is to be willing to learn. It will take a while to get everything down but we want to help. Ask questions; you will pick it up. After the first couple of weeks, it becomes routine.

You might post your city and state. There may be someone who knows a good vet near you. If money is an object, you can always ask questions of the vet first on the phone, rather than pay for a visit. When you find one that seems open to having you partner in the process, and who has an insulin other than Humulin, then you can schedule an appointment.

If Imogen is not yet on insulin, it is a good time to make sure her diet supports her diabetes. What does she eat? Also, it is a great time to learn how to hometest. Then you have some data to take the vet when he prescribes insulin dosage.

The 12 hour thing is hard, but you just will do the best you can. Lots of people who learn their cat has diabetes have them put to sleep because it sounds too hard or too complicated. You're here, ready to go.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Here is something that I typically write to newbies that you will hopefully find helpful:

WELCOME, this forum is a great place to gain knowledge and really learn how to manage feline diabetes. By doing just a few things each day (that really won't take up much of your time at all), you won't need to worry about losing your precious cat, not where feline diabetes is concerned.

There are three key factors to managing diabetes: food/nutrition, home testing and insulin

1) Feline Nutrition: Now, as far as diet - definitely dump the dry food (if you are feeding any) and if the vet recommends purchasing prescription food like DM just say "no thank you". ALL cats, and especially those with diabetes, do best on a species appropriate diet that is high in protein and low in carbs. Dry food DOES NOT fit that bill and DM food, even canned, just really isn't that great as far as quality. Most here on FDMB feed low carb/high protein canned, raw bought from a pet store or they make there own.

Here great links, one is to a food chart put together by one of our board members that breaks down the carb % and protein % of most of the commercial brand foods. You want to keep the carb % below 10% and around 7% is great. The other link is to a site by a vet "Dr. Lisa DVM" ... who also posts on this board from time to time ... there is in-depth info. there about many things, including nutrition and how to make raw food.
    Nutrition/food info

The good thing with feeding your diabetic cat this way, is that it is ALSO good for any non-diabetic cat too. All your cats can safely eat the same food without worry and it may save you some costs and headaches of having to do separate feedings and keeping track of what they are eating.

2. Home testing: It is impossible to convey the value of testing your cat's BG (blood glucose) level at home. Some vets will "suggest" this, but most won't even mention it. They will send you home with insulin and an amount to shoot and maybe some instructions about hypoglycemia (blood sugar dropping to a dangerously low level).

Well, the thing is, human diabetics don't EVER give themselves insulin without checking there BG to make sure it is safe to do so, so why shouldn't it be the same for our kitties. Here on FDMB it is. You will notice that the vast majority of people here test their cat's BG at least 2x/day (before giving each shot to make sure the level is safe enough) and periodically at other times to see how the cat is responding to the current dose. We use a human glucometer, test strips and lancets - which are all very readily available and easy to use.

Our kitties get lots of love and treats for "putting up" with this and most of them actually come out to be tested on their own 'cause they want those treats . Here is a collection of great links that "Carolyn and Spot" pulled together about hometesting. See what you think ... it truly is the best way to not only keep Your cat safe but also really get a handle on this disease and help him to live a healthy life with FD (feline diabetes).

Home testing Links

3. Insulin: There are several types of insulin available. Many people, myself included use Lantus or Levimer both of which are great insulins. They are gentle insulin and given twice (BID) per day in 12 hour increments. Or you could also choose PZI or the new version called Prozinc.

Please read up on the insulins available, here is a link to the Insulin Support Groups:

Insulin Support Groups

However, one caveat and again this shows how these three things are inter-related:

If you are feeding dry food or even a high carb food, BEFORE removing these foods, please make sure of your insulin dose as it will most likely need to be reduced, so as to avoid a possible hypoglycemic situation due to the removal of the dry/high carb foods that will lower the BG’s and reduce the amount of insulin required. Again, another reason why home testing is important.

I know this all seems like a lot, and that's because it is ... there is a learning curve here. But as long as you are determined and keep at it, you will have it down before you know it and you'll be seeing the results in Your cat' overall health and happiness. Ask all the questions you can think of - that's why we are here!

Also, if you haven't done it yet, take the time and fill out your profile. It will help when others come on and read this. Also, let us know where you live - city/state as there are probably people in your area who can provide on the ground support and help you to learn home testing, etc.

6. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Hi! Love the name!

Rest assured that the feeling of being overwhelmed will lessen as time goes on. We all know how you feel.

Get the insulin choice and dose settled and then you can work on how to deal with your work hours and having to go out of town. It could be that a mbr of this forum lives near you and may be able to help or that a vet tech might be available. One step at a time.

It's great that Imogen hasn't lost weight. Calliope had lost a good deal of weight before I noticed. I thought it was just that she was getting old.

The fact that you researched this and you are here already shows what a good sugarmom you're going to be.

Don't fret. You'll get the lingo as you go and you're going to have help learning all about the sugar dance.

Welcome!

7. imogen

imogen Member

Thanks! She had one shot of insulin at the Vet today and has been okay, maybe a little lethargic. I contacted Dr Donna Spector who referred me to a DVM here in NY. I am going there next Wed so I thought I would maybe give Imogen a low carb all wet diet until then since I am freaked out about doing anything like that if she is taking insulin. I am just not sure if it is okay to wait until Wed. She was 400 at the Vet today and she was totally stressed so the Vet said that plays a part in a higher number. If anyone has a NYC Vet they recommend or person to care while I am out of town that would be a dream! Imogen has a touch of asthma so I don't like to board her. She is most secure here and don't want to give her any more stress. You all have already made me feel sooo much better. Imogen is purring next to me and she thanks you too!

8. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome! We have all been where you are! I can't add much to what was already posted but don't be afraid to ask questions....we all had to start at the bottom feeling scared to death and completely overwhemled. There is a lot to get your head around all at once but we are all here ready to help.

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We have a number of board members in NYC. I looked up a old post that said Cat Practice on 5th avenue and 20th encourages hometesting so they should know a bit about feline diabetes. Is that anywhere close to you?

10. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome,

We do have a group of people in NY, maybe if in your next post you put NY in the subject to attract their attention for Vet recommendations or cat sitter.

We all arrived here scared and overwhelmed so you are in good company.

We use Prozinc because of my work schedule as it is more flexable with shooting and testing, maybe if you read up on the stickies on the different insulins in the Insulin Support Groups it will give you a better idea of which insulin you want to switch to.

Within a few weeks all of this will become routine and much less stressful.

Welcome to the club.

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

What part of ny are you. I work in midtown and I havE helped sever al fellow. Nyers. One has a pet sitter he uses. He is uws I will ask him to come here and say hi and give u his opet sitter info.

12. Denise & Sidney

Denise & Sidney Member

I'm still a newbie to the sugardance so I won't give any advice except take a deep breath and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Believe me, if there is, it has been asked.

There is a wonderful group of people on this board and they are willing and able to help. Everyone of us has been in your exact same place. Welcome to the best group you wished you never had to be part of :lol:

13. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

I used Cat Practice - they do encourage home testing but I do not like their ideas on dosing and they don't believe in the concept of "vet stress" and don't understand the relationship btw carbs and diabetes. that said, the vet techs and assistants there are AWESOME and do love the cats. If you board your kitty there, they WILL feed your cat the food that you provide (instead of their purina d/m), they WILL do a daytime mini-curve at your request (+3, +5, +7 and AMPS/PMPS) but I would not let them mess around with the dosing at their discretion. They arrive at 8 am and leave at 6 or 7 pm, so your kitty is without observation for 13/14 hours.

For help with a new case, I wouldn't go there - their advice on food and dosing is nothing like what's discussed here. Insofar as boarding, I think it's good.

14. imogen

imogen Member

Thank you all so much. Would definitely like to meet the NYC'ers. I'm Upper West so would love anyone near to sit. Cancelled travel plans for the time being as I want to get Imogen regulated first. She is going to 5th Ave hospital on Wed and we'll see what they say. I have had great consults with Dr Spector who recommended Purnina D/M twice daily and urine checks. Imogen started at over 2% and last nigtht was down to 1/2% but is now back to 1%. She'll start on Lantus today or tomorrow. Scared!!!
    her coat is less silky and she has dandruff but she has taken to the wet food like a fish to water. Hopefully we'll get her weight down as well.

15. weeble

weeble Member

I would highly recommend posting in the Lantus forum to get your ducks in a row before shooting. The people over there saved my sanity and possibly my cat's life. Just use a Newbie Starting Lantus or something similar in the subject line.

You're going to do great! You're in good hands...

16. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Don't waste your money on the prescription food. It's really not of high quality, more expensive and even higher in carbs than you want.

If you use Binky's food chart - you can purchase commercial foods that are low carb and as good or better quality than prescription not to mention lots cheaper.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm

I will ask Ryan & Hemmy to come here and let you know the pet sitter he is using. (Assuming he is using one). He's UWS too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.