Hi, new member but not first diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roy Hardin, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roy Hardin

Roy Hardin New Member

My 12 year old cat. Boo, was recently diagnosed with diabetes. It was sudden. I may have missed some signs as my wife was having end stage liver disease and then a transplant. So busy time. But quickly set in. Neuropathy, weight loss, large water intake and filling the litter box with urine. Well, changed him to Friskies Pate (not the dry food vet wanted) and started him on levemir. Luckily happen to have a few vials that were for my wife post transplant but after they stopped the steroids, she no longer needed them.

I home test. Started with an expensive meter - One Touch - cause they have us two at the hospital. Dedicated one to my cat, Boo. But now with the test strip prices moved over the Relion. Much cheaper. Did a few comparisons and numbers quite close - so sticking with that.

He had a very very bad bought of constipation and we thought we were going to lose him, but several days of procedures at the vet he was cleaned up. With very wet (water added) food and Miralax, no more problems. Strange as it may be, I now have cameras on the littter boxes so I can make sure be he is going. With multiple cats (rescued two ferals over last year) it otherwise would be difficult to be sure. Plus now I can keep an eye on him even when not home as I have a robot mounted camera I can drive around and see how he is acting.

I am still working to get him regulated. Actually doing a 12 hour curve tonight. Long night ahead.

He has gone hypo before, but I took care of him and no lasting effects. Just don't ever want that to happen again. I know we will get there.

His neuropathy is gone and his energy level is almost 100%. So on right track.

Looking forward to reading and being involved in this group. And once I get him regulated hoping to find someone at the vet clinic I volunteer at (going to learn to help with surgery next week :)) to do his tests and shots for a few days so wife and I can go on a mini vacation now that she had her liver transplant.

This is not my first. Had first, Coco, in mid 90s. Very hard to get him regulated. Really never could. But with home monitoring and careful dosing, he lived like 10 more years in great health. He was in his early 20s when he passed.

Next one was easy to regulate. He, Garfield, developed it earlier than my others. He was 6. Sadly he developed bone cancer within the year and passed away. We also had his brother, Fruit Loop, who developed stomach cancer just a few weeks after his brother passed and lasted about a month.

Then we had a large tabby, Tigger - he was a very long cat - develop diabetes. That cat had gone through over a year of treatment to eliminate a MRSA infection. But that was successful. Then about two years later he got diabetes. He was well regulated. He was a healthy and happy - and outstanding companion - until he passed two years ago.

Now I have this new one, Boo. Like I said he is like night and day from when first diagnosed. Just need to get things more regulated. Maybe he will ultimately get OTJ.

Well hope I wasn't too long winded with my introduction. And like I said I am very interested in what I will learn here.

Thanks!

Roy Hardin

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    What insulin are you using? Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    It is good that you are home testing but you also did that before. Most of us record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Roy Hardin likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and Boo! First off I'm so glad your wife is doing better. As for Boo, it sounds like you know the routine. Good low carb food, home testing and a good insulin (like the lev you're using) are the keys to regulation. As Larry mentioned, recording your meter readings on the spreadsheet is a great way to see how well the insulin is working. Any questions you have are best asked on the health forum or after you get the SS set up, the Lantus/Levemir forum.

Roy Hardin likes this.
  4. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

5. Roy Hardin

Roy Hardin New Member

Thanks! I am using levemir. I also definitely am going to use the spreadsheet. I do track it, but this will give me a format that isn't unique to me! It's been a long couple of decades doing this basically alone.

6. Roy Hardin

Roy Hardin New Member

Thanks! And I definitely will use the forums as needed. As I said in an earlier reply, it has been a lonely couple of decades doing this alone. Don't know how I missed this group. Finally found it through a FB reference.

7. Roy Hardin

Roy Hardin New Member

8. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Roy Hardin likes this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. Glad to hear wife is doing well. You certainly have had a full plate over the years. You are not alone anymore.

Roy Hardin likes this.
  10. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Welcome Roy and Boo!

Roy Hardin likes this.
  11. Roy Hardin

Roy Hardin New Member

Thanks!

12. Roy Hardin

Roy Hardin New Member

Thanks!

Thread Status: