Hi new to all this

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by col, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. col

col New Member

Hi all ,My name is Colleen. My 8 year old Rocky was diagnosed Wednesday. Needless to say I'm very scared with all of this. After researching i found this site. Which gave me a lot of info (thanks so much for that). I was wondering if feline diabetes is similar to human diabetes? Ive had experience with that which might help me. My vet told me not to get a testing kit which i felt was strange. So I ordered the relion confirm as many of you recommended but it won't get here til Thursday is that to long to wing it so to speak? My Rocky is taking 1 unit twice a day of vetsulin he's eating ok not as much as Id like him to. his fructosamine came in at 642 and his sugar level 512. I am so worried I will make some mistake in all this and damage him or something worse. Any advice would very much be appreciated.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Colleen and Rocky.

The fact you will be home testing is fabulous and the right decision to make in regards to keeping Rocky safe. I am not familiar with Vetsulin but there is a specific forum for that insulin in case you want to post there for specific dosage questions. The main health forum is for all questions regarding kitty's ongoing health concerns and issues. Ask questions....we are always here to answer.

I have done the shoot without testing option when I first started but I don't suggest doing it in regards to keeping Rocky safe. No harm came to Jones but the thought I could of still weighs on me. For your information here is the sticky on hypo's in case you need it.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

One suggestion would be to set up a spreadsheet that we use here. It helps us get a good picture of how Rocky is doing.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

3. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Hi Colleen, welcome to our group. You did just the right thing ordering the meeter and strips. Do you have a Walmart nearby? They are the best place to buy meters and strips.You never know when you a lot of strips on a weekend. It's best to keep an extra container of strips on hand. I keep a spare container in my hypo kit(a plastic shoe box).

You came to our "welcome mat". It would be best to post on our main Health forum. There are more eyes to see your questions.

4. col

col New Member

Sorry Im not great at computers. Ill move my question over, but to answer your question donnalea No i don't I ordered the monitor , strips and urine strips from walmart this morning. unfortunately it won't arrive till thursday. I have a rite aid and purchased a lifestyle precision monitor and only 25 strips for more than double the price that I would return, but Im unsure if its a good idea to wait for testing 5 days .

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Colleen and Rocky. This is all new and, yes, a bit overwhelming and frightening at first. It's definitely a steep learning curve at first, but you will be surprised how quickly the basic information and procedures become just part of your daily routine. Take a deep breath, and realize that every single person here faced the same diagnosis, and learned to take care of their fur friends.
    There is a great deal of information on the board, I was sure overwhelmed by it when I first arrived, but I learned to to go through the Health Links/FAQs Index and select what I needed and wanted to learn at that point. Here is a link to that Forum, the Index is the first yellow tag Sticky at the top of the
    list. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/
    Of course there is other information that you will look at and learn as you go. Don't be afraid to just look around, and see what is where.
    It will be helpful if you create a signature that details Rocky's particulars, which is appended to every post you make. This signature can contain kitty's name, age, weight, diagnosis date, type of insulin, insulin dosage, type of home testing meter, type of food, any other medical conditions, any medication given. The information can be edited/updated at any time. Just please select your name, Col, in the upper right hand corner of the page, then select Signature.
    We all wish you and Rocky well on this journey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.