Hi! Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ShipsCat, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

My littlest (6#) 11 year old girl Hermione was just diagnosed on the 23rd. I've gotten my AlphaTrak and started her on ProZinc insulin. I'm a bit freaked out, but determined to do the best for my little girl.

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge here, I'm sure I'll have questions as I go....

2. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!
    Don't be freaked out, take a really deep breath, it will be fine! We all are more then willing to help you as you start this journey. Prozinc is a great insulin (i've also used it) and 'we' as a prozinc family are a small group of people on here but are very supportive!
    I will tag some prozinc expert on here so they can help you even more.
    Great that you've already bought a testing kit, that's something we always recommend doing because you then always know how your kitty is doing and it saves money, instead of going to the expensive vet :)!

What do you feed Hermione? We recommend low carb food like fancy feast.

I see you got a spreadsheet up already, if you need dosing advise than come over to the prozinc part of this forum so we can help you with that.

@Sue and Oliver (GA) @Rachel @Bobbie And Bubba @Sharon14 can you help .. (What is your name?;)) to set up and take a look at the spreadsheet? I'm thinking this dose is too high..

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! As Ruby said, ProZinc is a great insulin and I'm sure Hermione will do well on it. If you can get some tests mid cycle (5-7 hours after the shot) it will help us see how well the insulin is working Also let us know what you are feeding as that can have a big impact on BG levels. And finally, take a deep breath and relax, you got this!

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your little girl, Hermione. This is the very best place to be to get you over, through and around the challenges of looking after a kitty with diabetes. Yes, you can exhale now ... :)

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Welcome! It's great that you're already home-testing. I would definitely like to see some mid cycle numbers whenever you can. If you can't get the 5-7 hours after the shot during the week, try to grab a test whenever you can. Maybe an hour or 2 after the AM shot if you don't leave the house right away...or one before bed at night. Or if you happen to wake up in the middle of the night, grab one then. Those numbers will tell us how the insulin is working and help us figure out a good dose together. :)

6. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome & advice :) You all move quick, which is awesome!

I feed all my cats (I have 4 others besides Hermione) Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit kibble but I've been weaning Hermione onto Fancy Feast canned since she was diagnosed. My vet thinks she actually may have pancreatic cancer since she's always been on the skinny side and I've always fed grain free, but since she's still happy, eating, drinking, peeing and pooping normally we'll treat her symptoms as they arise. I took her in to my vet because she wasn't grooming and she's always been obsessively neat. Her urine test showed glucose (but cultured negative for infection) and her blood test had horrible glucose and insulin #s as well as mild pancreatitis. I was too in shock to ask for her labs as my vet immediately showed me how to test her blood at home and how to administer her insulin.

Her blood glucose at the vet's on Tuesday morning was 641, I didn't add it to her spreadsheet because I didn't get my meter until Wednesday afternoon so I had 24hrs of no numbers. The 2 units of ProZinc twice daily was my vet's prescription, and when I called her today with the recent awful numbers she said to increase it to 3. I'm working two jobs this month (my last day on my 2nd job is tomorrow) so I haven't been able to do a mid-cycle check yet. This morning's number was 522, better but still scary. I'll test her before I go to bed in a few hours and I'll be doing a full curve on Saturday.

Oh, my name is Kimi, I didn't think to add it.

I also forgot to add that she had a senior blood panel done in April and everything was normal. This is another reason my vet suspects cancer :(

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Kimi! When you get that curve done, come on over to the ProZinc forum and let us help you interpret it. Since Hermione is feeling good, I wouldn't worry about cancer at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.