Hi! Possible diabetic kitten only 5wks

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lizziebakes, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizziebakes

Lizziebakes New Member

Hi! Ive joined today as I rescued 2 kittens at approx 10days old (dumped in a bin to die). They are now approx 6wks! Over the last week the little boy has been "flopping" It was bank holiday here last week and rushed him to vet. I have quite a lot of experience hand rearing but knew this was something different. Unfortunately vet was not sympathetic. He lives he dies... anyway 6 days on syringe feeding rehydrant he flopped again yesterday and today. So back to vet. Sad to say he's been kept in on a drip. Blood sugar (?) 484.
    After that long winded story. Please can you advise me how difficult is it to manage a kitten with diabetes?? I had an older cat with diabetes and managed no probs. But with a growing kitten I guess its quite difficult?! He doesnt want to move onto solid food.... pot belly... ravenous for bottle... If he makes it through the night I 'm wondering if I can manage his diabetes :(

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I've no experience with high blood glucose numbers in kittens. More experienced members will weigh in on that. But I wonder if the carbs in the kitten formula are a factor in the numbers.

Thanks for rescuing the little ones.

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  3. Lizziebakes

Lizziebakes New Member

4. Lizziebakes

Lizziebakes New Member

As he has flopped, I'd done the honey in water but after telling vet 1teaspoon in 300ml water and I had syringed approx 4ml down him. He didnt think that would cause the super high reading.... but we will see :(

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be much different from the other cats once he is stabilized I hope some more experienced members can give you a deeper insight, was he given any kind of intravenous serum while at the vet? That can raise BG numbers depending on what they gave him.

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Are you home testing? Did the vet found any other issues?

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  7. Lizziebakes

Lizziebakes New Member

Vet said he was going to give him insullin and a saline drip.... and see if he makes it through the night.

8. Lizziebakes

Lizziebakes New Member

This is the first I knew he may be diabetic. So no testing as vet said "maybe" diabetic

9. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Sending you :bighug::bighug::bighug:

He's at the vet?

Let's hope he can make it kittens are more resistant than what most vets give them credit for, his high glucose could actually be because of his illness and so let's wait and see

10. Lizziebakes

Lizziebakes New Member

Yes, he is staying overnight at the vet. I am not keen, but if we can make him better... im all for it! Keep yor fingers crossed! ;)

11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Has any infection been ruled out? Fructosamine could be helpful here as it takes prior weeks into consideration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.