"HI" reading on meter??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CarolandTigger, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolandTigger

CarolandTigger Member

A couple of times I've gotten a reading with the word "hi" instead of a number. I use the Relion glucometer. I just looked up in the instruction book and apparently it means over 500!? They also say to test again with a new strip but I poked him so many times tonight I just can't do it. Is it supposed to post a number no matter how high?

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I think I would test again in the other ear. I know you don't want to put your kittie through another poke, but you need to know if are getting an accurate test. You could run a test on the meter if you have any testing solution to make sure the meter is running correctly.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No, once it goes over 600 I think, it'll just say "HI"

Makes me wonder where his BG went during his AM cycle to set off a bounce like that (if it's a correct result)

4. CarolandTigger

CarolandTigger Member

He was 229 this morning...I'll give him his insulin, but now I'm thinking maybe I should just lower his dose from three units down to 2 1/2? Because of all the bouncing. Or should I just let it bounce until he settles into hopefully a newer low?He's on Vetsulin. Advice?

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sometimes it may work better to do the adjustments of blood glucose in stages as you've described. First get them into 200s, then into 100s at nadir. You'll find out be testing to see what happens.

6. CarolandTigger

CarolandTigger Member

He just tested at 130 about +6 1/2 hrs so that was a nice drop. I stuck with the 3 units this morning. Hoping for more good numbers tonight! Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.