Hi there

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by oscem, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oscem

oscem New Member

While I really wish I didn't have to be here, I'm happy to see such an active and helpful resource :). I'm Amanda, married with one son and two sweet but spoiled cats, Malcolm and Neal. We got Malcolm's diagnosis this past Friday and after a scary weekend (he decided to get an infection at the same time, so we ended up back at the vet yesterday), we're on track with insulin today.

Anyway, I'll probably head over the health forum with some feeding questions :).

Amanda

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Do you know the insulin you will be using? Tje usual starting does in 1 unit of insulin twice daily.
    It seems you are the right track about diet. A lo-car canned is best. No need for a prescription diet. Here is a list of such commercial canned food
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/
    Most of us here test our cat' s blood glucose (BG) using a human meter and record the results in a spreadshet that can ve viewed by others on this forum. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/

oscem likes this.
  3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda and extra sweet Malcolm! Welcome to the BEST place you never wanted to be... :) See you over in Health!

HUGS!

oscem likes this.
  4. oscem

oscem New Member

Thank you! I just posted a long thread about the food in the health forum, and I probably should have waited! :). I'm not sure what insulin we're using (I want to say it starts with an N, but I'm not at home to check), but he does get 1 unit 2x daily.

I plan on asking about the home testing at his first curve in a couple of weeks - but that's a great resource - thank you!!

Amanda

5. Larry and Kitties

There is a human insulin called N or NPH. It is not really good/acceptable for most cats since it only lasts 8-10 hours

6. oscem

oscem New Member

I'm probably off-base on the N - I could be thinking of my own supplements that I take in the mornings! I'm looking at PetMeds and it LOOKS like the ProZinc bottle. I'll have to check when I get home this afternoon since it's in the fridge. I do know it uses the U-40 syringes.

7. Larry and Kitties

That would be ProZinc. ProZInc is a U40 insulin.
    You can human U100 syringes with a conversion:
    Drawing up to 1 unit on a U100 insulin equals 0.4 units of a U40 insulin
    Drawing up to 2 1/2 units on a U100 insulin equals 1 unit of a U40 insulin
    each 0,5 unit on a U100 syringe equal 0.2 units of a U40 insulin. Thus, you can fine tune does of a U40 insulin with a U100 syringe.
    Also. U100 syringes a less expensive tna U40 syringes

oscem likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.