Hi there

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by pat121, Mar 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat121

pat121 Member

I'm Pat, Mom to Beauregard, who was just diagnosed diabetic today. The "good" is that I'm diabetic, so not in a state of total panic. I'm also insulin dependent, but his needles/vial are unlike my Humalog, so slightly nervous. I came home from Vet and had a good cry and got rid of the "shakes"; had a beer; calmed myself down enough to deal. Tomorrow, I get the needles and insulin and probably return to the Vet to make sure I'm drawing it correctly. Then I plan on sitting/laying on the bed and reading what this website/forum has to offer. Glad to find you all.

2. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

Welcome Pat and Beauregard! I'm sorry you are here but I know you will quickly find how incredibly helpful this place is! I honestly feel this board has offered me so much more in helping me to help my boy than any vet ever could...I honestly mean that. I think you will do just fine...you sound like you are ready to take the bull by the horns...I like your attitude. As a person who would almost faint at the sight of a needle, it's almost a piece of cake now. Thank you for being a caring cat mom! :bighug:
    Hopefully you can post a pic of Beauregard for us to see how handsome he is!

Dawn

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. pat121

pat121 Member

Beau is the baby with more white; Patches is his nephew. Not sure this will show up or if I'm doing it correctly. I was petrified of needles until doctor informed me I was going to take it twice a day. I fall off the wagon, but if Beau can do it, so will I. I just caught another video of something "clicking" the needle, and I know it will be fine. I'm sure once I go back to Vet and just demonstrate, and find out that it's not as hard to draw from that vial as I imagine, it will just be getting him to come to me. and the Vet wants to test his blood, and I'm happy for them to do that. Just me here, and it's hard to do things with a cat. BTW, your baby is precious.

4. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

There's the dapper fella...he is gorgeous! I think everyone here initially panics at the thought of having to stick their cat everyday, but because the insulin is given at a feeding, many cats will quickly catch on and come to you. I also think that since you are "in the know" on diabetes, you have a great head start. My vet was doing blood tests for me in the beginning and this site gave me the courage to even start testing myself, great if you can do it...just take baby steps. In time, you will figure out what's comfortable for you...I applaud your commitment.

Thank you for sweet comment on my boy...he is, indeed, very precious. He's a special kitty with some issues and FDMB keeps me sane. :) Again, welcome to both of you!:cat::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. pat121

pat121 Member

A friend said testing on the little paw pads upset her little guy, so he "died in peace". I hate that his little pads will have to deal with this, and I'm doing the guilt thing about over feeding and not taking the time to exercise them and all of that. However, I can't change any of that, but hope maybe to reverse it (I believe in miracles). I'm actually more worried about anemia and his ability to fight off infections right now than the diabetes. I guess it's good that I am retired (but looking for a job) and able to give him the shots. The job will be essential if I have to visit the Vet weekly, but I know it will all work out. Again, happy to have fround this board and intend to read and read and read tomorrow. Today, I think the stress and news has just done me in.

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Beau looks like my Tux (he's not diabetic). If you decide to test, it is really easy. You can use the ears and they are virtually painless. It will save you money.

7. pat121

pat121 Member

Awww, smokey is gorgeous, as is Tux. I saw a video of someone testing by the ear. He made it look easy. Luckily, I get freebies (or did) of diabetic testing supplies since I'm diabetic. Strips and the needles (for testing). When I moved, I tossed 5-6 boxes of those needles (wish I hadn't done that now) rather than packing all of them. I guess I will let the Vet show me all I need to be shown, and if in doubt, just run up (or down) the road a little until I have it right. With my diabetes, I knew when I was doing it right, but a Humalog is easier than a vial. I am telling self tonite that it will all be easy, and if others can do it, I can too (and if I can give my own self a needle, I can sure give my cat one)

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You most certainly can do it.

9. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Hello Pat :bighug:Beau looks like he could be brother to my girl Dottie. You can do this..it's not hard at all. What an interesting stroll through life the two of you will have, you can be good examples to each other. Don't be afraid, everyone here is so willing to help you. Home testing is the way to go, btw..it's less expensive than doing curves at the vet's clinic, and you will be able to more closely regulate your kitty's blood sugar.

Right now you're standing on the welcome mat...this forum is our 'front door'. Why don't you join us in the main forum? We're all crammed in there, discussing our life with sugar cats. Welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.